Official Review Thread

Author Topic: Official Review Thread  (Read 41065 times)

SunnyD24

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
Re: Official Review Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 05:22:32 PM »
negative review-- http://correctopinion.wordpress.com/2008/06/10/review-for-the-happening/

If the audience is laughing as pointed out in both of these reviews...that is probably not a great sign. Unless Night is going for some sick, demented, and bizarre kinda like TWBB. In TWBB I found myself laughing or giggling more or less during the last scene.

I think those who review this movie posotivly understand what Night is trying to do with the whole "B" movie thing..but others just aren't getting it.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 05:29:39 PM »
Boy, you sure do like to argue with me! lol!

You can "judge" a person's credibility, at least as it pertains to whether you value their reviews or not.  It can be said "credibility" is in the eye of the beholder, but I just took offense to the notion that disliking TWBB would be showing a lack of credibility.  The ironic things is, more often than not the kind of people who like that kind of movie, are going to pan Shyamalan's movies.

As for There Will be Blood, I know very few people who actually liked that movie.  I've already established that Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB ranking are worthless to me, because they represent such a small fringe group of the general population.  Obviously, the people I come into contact with and talk to are a small group as well, but I think it's very telling when a broad variety of people, spanning all age groups, interests, and genders, feel predominantly the same way about a film.  If just a small segment size of the general public feels that way, you can bet that it represents the larger whole of the general public pretty well.  TWBB appeals to the artsy-fartsy movie critic, film snob types out there, but certainly isn't much of a movie when you boil it down to it's essentials.  That's why your normal moviegoer will walk out and think it was a waste.  If you liked it, kudos to you.  But it's not a mainstream film by any stretch of the imagination.

And if you think I'm one of those who is not objective about Shyamalan, then you haven't been paying attention to my posts all over the site very well.  This site is too biased in favor of Shyamalan, and I applaud those (like myself) who are able to say "I think you're a great director Night, and you've made some of my favorite movies, but you blew it here" about one of his movies.  I've done that with LITW, and if I go see The Happening, and come away disappointed again, then I will not hesitate to say that here.  It's called being objective, and I am one of the most objective people here it seems when it comes to all things Shyamalan.

DILinator, right off the bat, I was not talking about you when I was referring to the idea that some peoples reviews at this site will lack credibility.  For me, credibility will not come into play in your review as you seem pretty objective when it comes to M NIGHT, specifically.

I do like to argue, but not with you.  Well I do and I don't.  I get knots in my stomach when I am about to read your replies to my comments.  Look man, I really care, ha.  We just have naturally opposing dispositions I think.  Anyways, not many people here come in as an objective voice, as you do.  You also seem intelligent and I appreciate a lot of the things you say.  So those things make for good arguments/discussions.  But then, in my opinion, you kinda hamstring all your arguments because you, more so then anyone here, speak for whole groups of people often.  It seems right now that your group of friends is the key demographic in how a movie is perceived by ALL those who saw it.  And the fact that you call people snobs because they just happen to like different movies than you makes you a snob just like them.  That's why I appreciate when people have a wide range of films they like.  Not just artsy flicks.  Not just mainstream flicks.  That being said, as far as the M Night lovers, some of them really go totally over board in my opinion.  But I just take less of an offense to someone having a biased opinion about their own feelings towards M Night(after all, we are on an M Night appreciation site), or even against M Night, then I do to people who speak for groups of people, and then make that the basis of an argument for whether a movie is good/successful/accepted/bad/not mainstream, blah blah blah.  Especially when it seems they are primarily using their friends as the indicator for proper judgment of a film.  I mean, is it my friends versus yours or something, because we would probably have a draw.  Then how would we know if it was a good movie or not if we had to cross cancel our acquaintances!??!

And anything can be anything in the eye of the beholder, c'mon.  How do you even have discussions if that's how you are going to argue?  Credibility is just the wrong word here as we are now being specific.  If you don't agree with that, it paints all of your arguments negatively. 

By the way, every indicator we have discussed as far as a movies success and acceptance is in favor of There Will Be Blood, with the exception of you and your friends....that is, people that you and I know, critical review, award, and resources on the internet (movies sites, box office, budget, etc)  I'm not saying it was a blockbuster, nor am I saying that is was made with the intention of being one.  That is an important distinction. 

I must love to hear myself talk.  Or see myself type.  I think that hinders my arguments sometimes, lol.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 05:39:03 PM »
THAT WAS A GREAT REVIEW.

i hope they stack up like that.

I agree.  I like how it's either genius or it's like ridiculous.  It makes me think M Night is still making some risky choices.

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 05:46:12 PM »
These reviews confuse me.  They seem really,REALLY mixed. The negatives have some positive things in it, and the positives have a few negatives.  It just seems like the reviewers dont know really what they think of it.

SunnyD24

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 06:13:55 PM »

Sri HK

• Futuristic (After Earth)

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 07:35:28 PM »
What you see isn't always what u get.

Sri HK

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
^^ It's more of Shyamalan bashing...... >:(

Sri HK

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 07:52:44 PM »
I'm actually waiting for the review by............Richard Roeper.

;)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 08:01:01 PM »
me 2. Roger Ebert too hopefully!

okman4ever

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2008, 10:24:52 PM »
all these negative reviews make me sad :(

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2008, 10:49:07 PM »
These reviews confuse me.  They seem really,REALLY mixed. The negatives have some positive things in it, and the positives have a few negatives.  It just seems like the reviewers dont know really what they think of it.

i can see that - i felt that way when i read the script.  there's an element to it that i would say is classic Night - and then there's an artistic side to it that he probably incorporated since he's gaining more and more control of his own films..

GrOoDmAn

• Wide Awake

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 01:51:57 AM »
Now this is the kind of review I've been waiting for and will give us Night fans hope again; it's a very positive, mini-review by Jeff Wells (he says he'll write the full review tomorrow), but he does say that it's Shyamalan's third best film (after The Sixth Sense and Signs)... there are some spoilers as well...

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2008/06/grandson_of_kla.php
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 01:56:17 AM by GrOoDmAn »

Hawkowl

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 07:33:26 AM »
I agree with what someone said before - it seems like some of the critics just don't know what to think about the movie.
That was a nice review, GrOoDmAn. I'll be sure to read the next part of it.
As long as Ebert and Roeper give it at least a moderately good review, I don't really care what other reviewers say.
-Hawkowl

BN

• Unbreakable

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2008, 08:05:28 AM »