This movie wasn't the "box office failure" its labeled as.

Author Topic: This movie wasn't the "box office failure" its labeled as.  (Read 1373 times)

joecartoon131

• Wide Awake

This movie wasn't the "box office failure" its labeled as.
« on: June 07, 2008, 07:57:21 AM »
I don't understand why - with the upcoming release of The Happening and even before then - so many articles claim Night hasn't made a "successful" film since Signs, or even just saying that The Village was a box office failure.

By the numbers, the film grossed (in total) $256,697,520 in its run. The budget for the film was $60 million. Given the additional advertising costs, The Village still came out way ahead.

Take another film that's been praised for its success - The 40 Year Old Virgin. That film grossed $177,378,645. The budget was $26 million + advertising.

I just find it odd that critics and those that write these "preview" articles don't note the success of The Village in their write-up of Night - so what if the film divided audiences? All of Hitchcock's and Spielberg's films haven't been a success either with audiences and box office. The only film of Night's that wasn't "successful" (though is actually one of my favorites of his) is Lady in the Water and these critics/writers make sure to mention that to us.
Fate Won't Let You Hide Forever

DILinator

• The Happening

Re: This movie wasn't the "box office failure" its labeled as.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 09:03:03 AM »
It was about the time that The Village came out that the critics really took to "hating" on Shyamalan.  I don't know if it was something he said or did after the success of Signs, but they smashed him for that movie, and no amount of actual success (which it did have, as you pointed out) is going to change their skewed view of the film. 
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Rulm

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Twitter
Re: This movie wasn't the "box office failure" its labeled as.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »
Actually, from what I've read, the movie DIDN'T really make a profit. It didn't bomb, but it wasn't a hit. The movie dropped over 60% of it's audience in the second week!