Fox has no fear of Friday the 13th

Author Topic: Fox has no fear of Friday the 13th  (Read 5860 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Fox has no fear of Friday the 13th
« on: June 08, 2008, 02:06:56 PM »
'Happening' scheduled for superstitious date

Fox is embracing paraskavedekatriaphobia-- the fear of Friday the 13th.
With an uncertain outlook for "The Happening," Fox is giving the M. Night Shyamalan thriller a calendar-aided assist and opening in multiple territories on the only Friday the 13th of the year.

"The hook was too good to pass up because that date does have superstitious significance around the world," says Fox Intl. VP Hilary Clark.

It's the same strategy the studio used two years ago when it opened "The Omen" remake on a Tuesday -- inspiring the slogan "6/6/06. You have been warned."

Despite decidedly unenthusiastic reviews, the remake scared up a decent $120 million worldwide

BN

• Unbreakable

Re: Fox has no fear of Friday the 13th
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 06:21:50 PM »
Fair enough but I can't recall Omen going up against a 'biggie' like Hulk.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 06:26:27 PM »
Yeah, I am going to have a love/hate relationship with this weekend. I am going to be soo happy watching the movie, and most likely disappointed by the box-office.  :-\

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:17:39 AM »
Don't give up hope yet.  It hasn't opened and the momentum for the movie is still growing. ;)
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »
Actually if you guys the trailers on youtube you can see people's comments, everyone is saying, they can't wait for it.

BN

• Unbreakable

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 04:34:07 PM »
Fox has to put up a brave face. I am not too sure about its BO prospects. Unless it strikes a chord among adult audience, this may sink fast. Not wanting to miss a Friday the 13th date is not a good enough reason to release such a movie against a monster of a movie with competition not letting up over the subsequent weekends either. I am led to this conclusion by the poor awareness stats as published by a few online sources.

The least I can hope for, at this point, is that it is a good movie. I highly doubt, though will be pleasantly surprised, if it takes in $100 million domestically.

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 05:32:23 PM »
To a certain extent, I agree with BN. But at the same time, I can't think of a movie I ever saw where I ever heard of the "awareness"-meter or whatever.  Are we that nit-pickey? I never remember us talking about awareness for LitW. And although it came out in August, i'm pretty sure the 6th Sense would have had a "low awareness'' thingamajig

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 11:13:28 PM »
I talked about The Hulk in the "Midnight posting".  Thought I would just reiterate on this one. 

I had advanced tickets to see The Incredible Hulk tonight, and it was really good.  The Happening has quite a fight it has to put up!  My prediction is that The Hulk will definately (dominate is to strong of a word, and I dont want to project a negative on The Happeing, so lets go with... beat out) The Happening.  I would definately recomend seeing The Hulk after you have seen The Happeing like 3 times!  Hehe!   ;D
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 11:16:01 PM »
One only can wonder how The Happening would perform without Hulk as competition.  :-\

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 09:44:15 AM »
Don't forget The Sixth Sense, that did not even have a lot of publicity and was going up against stuff like the Blair Witch Project.  But it's popularity spread by word of mouth, and did even better it's second week of release I think.

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 09:48:35 AM »
Yeah, that's true. It only dropped like 2% or something. It was crazy.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 09:49:42 AM »
I agree that The Happening should have moved once TIH moved in against them, Friday the 13th be darned.  Even going up against Wall-E would have resulted in a bigger take at the BO, since they are aiming for completely different target audiences. 
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »
Actually, I think that's Marvel's fault.  The Happening has been set for Friday the 13th for a while now.  I'm pretty sure before The Incredible Hulk was.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 10:07:09 AM »
Actually, I think that's Marvel's fault.  The Happening has been set for Friday the 13th for a while now.  I'm pretty sure before The Incredible Hulk was.

Yeah, they are not in my list of favorite people right now for that stunt....  >:(
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 10:39:22 AM »
I agree with Mr.Glass. FOX already had the date and month (June 13th) set up for "The Happening" to be released worldwide. Then came all of sudden "HULK" to start smashing things on the 13th as well.

I know what you guys mean, that "Hulk" already have enormous fan base. They are all waiting for it to release. The trailers for "Hulk" honestly didn't impressed me. That's why I am going to watch "Hulk" throw its DVD/BLUE RAY in the market, so I can have the chance of catching it.

The Happening is a simple movie, but with an really strong message. Look at this, we all know what is HULK about, I mean he is not IRON MAN. The good thing is that we don't know why and how people are committing suicide. And plus, its M.Night Shyamalan's first R-Rated movie. The promotion for the movie is darn strong, trust me, when you walk in then theatre to buy your ticket for "The Happening" there will be an awesome line.

When first I saw "Iron Man" they showed the trailer for "The Happening". Lot of people in that dark room didn't knew anything about "The Happening". As soon as "M.Night Shyamalan" text appeared on the screen. Everybody was like "Wooh"... they all were quite to see the rest of the trailer. I mean come on, M.Night Shyamalan is a name that can sell tickets. The name is powerful and has more impact now than STEVEN SPEILBERG. I am talking only about the TEXT : M.Night Shyamalan. This word can be used in books as SHYAMALAN STYLE movie, like we say now "Hitchcockian"

Even though, The Happening doesn't do well in Box Office, I will still think that "The Happening" is an awesome movie. I can praise it from the writing to directing, music and most importantly "originality".

In the meantime, I don't think "Hulk" is going to impress anyone. I have respect for "Ed Norton" he is one of my favorites and he is a good director. So, from the bottom of my heart, I want both movies to succeed equally. Critically or their grossings.

Good Luck To M.Night and Ed Norton both.

Rohan