The Cloaks in "The Village"

Author Topic: The Cloaks in "The Village"  (Read 1030 times)

Wags

• The Happening

The Cloaks in "The Village"
« on: June 08, 2008, 02:31:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

I was thinking the other day about The Village, especially given that "The Happening" is now 5 days away.   And I was thinking about the cloaks in the movie that everyone was wearing.  And I began thinking about it really hard. and here is what I came up with.  If this is someone else's thoughts, and I just randomly remembered them, I'm sorry for stealing your ideas:

The thing about The Village that always struck me as interesting was that it all boils down to parents lying to their children and themselves about what time they live in and under what circumstances.  Ultimately, the elders of the village do this because they want to return to innocence and keep their families safe at all costs.  And it is always when I think about that aspect of this wonderful film that I think back to a quote from Benjamin Franklin: "He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  But I digress on what I actually want to say:

The cloaks in the movie that the characters wear, to me at least, represent innocence.  One cannot help but make a correlation, when seeing Lucius or Ivy or Fenton in their yellow cloaks, to Little Red Riding Hood, a children's fairy tale.   And when dressed in these cloaks, the younger generations of this village are often performing tasks that they believe to be real, when in fact it is all fake (or "farce" if you prefer). Sort of like kids playing pretend: they think its real while their parents stand from afar and know it is not. You might note, unless I missed something, that there are never any elders participating in the rituals or wearing any cloaks (aside from "those we do not speak of").  Because they lack this innocence.  Because they have been jaded by the outside world they have closed themselves off from, they do not fear the monsters they created, but the monsters that lie outside of Covington Woods.  The monsters that haunt them in their hearts.

That's all I got so far.  Go Happening!