The Soundtrack is Awesome!

Author Topic: The Soundtrack is Awesome!  (Read 5574 times)

SkarpoTheSorcerer

• Praying with Anger

The Soundtrack is Awesome!
« on: June 09, 2008, 04:38:50 AM »
Hey has anybody else listened to it?! it's great!  ;D, M.Night Shyamalan+James Newton Howard=Wonders

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: The Soundtrack is Awesome!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:23:29 AM »
No, but I'm going to buy it the next time I go out.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Kable

• Signs

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:30:19 AM »
Hey has anybody else listened to it?! it's great!  ;D, M.Night Shyamalan+James Newton Howard=Wonders

I Just love it! ;D
James is fantastic as always. I hope it fits good with the movie!
4 DAYS!

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:07:53 AM »
im gonna be honest:

the opening titles were great and
4 miles back was great

but overall the whole album doesnt have that rewatchability relistenability (or whatever) as
ANY of howards and nights work.

signs had that DEFINITIVE sound
so did the village
so did LITW
so did Unbreakable
so did Sixth Sense

they all had themes and it was easy to say "Oh this is Signs (or this is the village, etc...)

the happening, besides those two songs i mentioned, doesnt have that definitive sound.

i think the music wil definetly work with the movie
but its not their best in terms of listening over and over and over again,
which you can do with their other movies.

but its still good.

okman4ever

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 12:54:55 PM »
I have it, and I can't stop replaying the last 2 tracks.  The others are good, but not my type of casual listening music, like the Village's soundtrack.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 01:09:24 PM »
im gonna be honest:

the opening titles were great and
4 miles back was great

but overall the whole album doesnt have that rewatchability relistenability (or whatever) as
ANY of howards and nights work.

signs had that DEFINITIVE sound
so did the village
so did LITW
so did Unbreakable
so did Sixth Sense

they all had themes and it was easy to say "Oh this is Signs (or this is the village, etc...)

the happening, besides those two songs i mentioned, doesnt have that definitive sound.

i think the music wil definetly work with the movie
but its not their best in terms of listening over and over and over again,
which you can do with their other movies.

but its still good.

I've had it since last Tuesday when it came out, and have listened through it TONS of times since then.  I agree with the poster quoted above though for the most part.  While I have no doubt it fits in well with the movie, I don't think the soundtrack is what I would call awesome.  Obviously I like it, since I've been listening to it so much, but awesome???  As was stated above, there isn't a strong memorability to the score, aside from the main theme which will get in your head pretty easily.  Like the last poster, okman4ever, I do think the last two tracks are strong, especially "Be With You", which is amongst the most emotionally charged pieces in a Shyamalan film.  However, other than that and the main theme, there isn't much there to get too excited about outside of the film.  I mean, it's still an interesting listen for mood music, but I don't think it comes close to the majesty of either of the last two scores.   
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Miles

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 01:13:24 PM »
I love the soundtrack, The main titles and the last two are definitely the best. But "Central Park"has an intense ending, I love that. Probly the most intense since The Villages "Those We Dont Speak Of" IMO at least. All of the work James and Night have done is amazing though.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 01:31:39 PM »
Soundtrack is awesome. I love it.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 03:30:04 PM »
I love the vast majority of Shyamalan's works, soundtracks included, but this site has a bit too many "fanboy" lemmings I'd say....  :-\   I think a little more objectivity would give the community and fanbase as a whole a lot more credibility, which is currently lacking when it comes to Shyamalan fans....  If everything and anything Night touches is automatically awesome, the very term awesome loses it's value. 
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Sri HK

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 07:43:05 PM »
I don't know about you.....but i'm totally hooked to Be With You , End Title Suite and Main Theme.  I haven't listened to the rest yet......... ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:25:51 PM by Sri HK »
What you see isn't always what u get.

Sri HK

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 08:26:36 PM »
I luv this soundtrack......JNH is a genius.

Their combination always works!
What you see isn't always what u get.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »
I don't know about you.....but i'm totally hooked to Be With You , End Title Suite and Main Theme.  I haven't listened to the rest yet......... ;D

Yeah, those are my three favorites as well, though I also like the softer part of Jess Comforts Elliot.  And again the bass rumbles in this soundtrack are amazing as well.  If the volume's up in my car, the whole thing shakes strongly a number of times throughout the CD.

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 09:55:15 AM »
I bought the soundtrack yesterday but had to wait to listen to it because of work, so maybe this lends itself to a little bias, but I absolutely love it.  I am a huge soundtrack fan, I think I am now up to 45 soundtracks, which is a lot.  James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer are my favorite composers, but even they have done soundtracks that I don't like, granted they're all at the beginning of their careers, but I am objective when I listen to soundtracks.  I am a very aesthetic (not sure I spelled that right) and I love music.  I understand DILinator about your fear of "fanboys" but there is a core of people on this site that absolutely love what he does, it has touched them in some way, or they just absolutely love his films.  Me personally, I love The Sixth Sense through to Lady In The Water, they're my favorite movies behind the Lord of the Rings, but I am afraid to try and watch Praying With Anger and Wide Awake because I don't wan't to damage my like for his films.  Is this making any sense?  I honestly love The Happening soundtrack, it has the very unique feel of James Newton Howard and his piano, while, at the same time, evoking feelings of sadness, fear, and a sort of open, empty feel.  It doesn't have extra sound, that most soundtracks have, but is bare, allowing you to focus entirely on the music and it's feelings.  I love soundtracks that evoke feelings, and this is one of them.  Have you ever listened to The Fountain soundtrack, it's very good, even though it has the same not structure throughout, it has a very simple, bare, and beautiful sound to it.  It's fine that you don't like it, but just be careful when you state that others might be so enamoured with Night that they like anything he does.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 10:06:09 AM »
Well, there is definitely an element on this site that seems to like everything, and while in and of itself there's nothing wrong with that, if you want to be taken seriously as a reviewer of anything: movies, soundtracks, you need to be careful to avoid bias. 

And again, I didn't say The Happening was a bad soundtrack, and I definitely think I'd put it over The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, the more I listen to it (which is all the time, including now as I type).  And as somebody with around 300 soundtracks, I certainly have a large sample size to judge from.  Honestly, if somebody chooses to like it as their favorite, that's their own right to have that opinion.  But if I'm reviewing the score from an objective standpoint, not taking into consideration the Composer, the films, or the filmmaker, I can't say that this is an "Awesome" soundtrack, not when I have listened to so many that would constitute that term, and this isn't close to being as powerful as they are.  Still, a very fun listen as background mood music, and I'm sure it will be great in the movie!

I'm a "Signs" person.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 10:43:34 AM »
I love "Five Miles Back" and "Mrs.Jones"