"emotional center" of The Happening

Author Topic: "emotional center" of The Happening  (Read 4456 times)

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
"emotional center" of The Happening
« on: June 09, 2008, 12:41:11 PM »
I've read in a few places where Night says that the emotional center of this film is "if you knew you had a minute to live and you were certain to die, what's the conversation you would have with your significant other?" Much like in Signs makes the audience ask if they "believe people get lucky" or if "miracles actually happen."

So what about you? If you knew you were in your final moments, what kind of conversation would you have with your significant other?

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: "emotional center" of The Happening
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 09:37:16 AM »
Who's the significan other? Because I'm not married.  Is it friends, or family, or who.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 09:43:10 AM »
I suppose whoever's closest to you. Sorry, should've elaborated better on that.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:45:42 AM »
Hmm, that's hard.  Becuase I think the situation would dictate some of it.  I would tell them how much I loved them (my parents), how there were times I disliked them and what they did, but I didn't hate them.  I guess I would just want to talk about my life and how much help and love they've been to me.  Just spend time talking with them, about my life, their life, what will happen after I'm gone.  Just thank them for everything they've done for me.  Then I'd tell some friends stuff that I won't put up here, personal stuff about them and myself which I feel they need to know, but if I told them know it might complicate our relationship.  That would be most of it.  Though they're probably some other stuff.

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:46:23 PM »
I just realized I didn't even answer my own question, so I might as well give it a shot.

I've had an on-again off-again girlfriend for quite a while now who I keep going around and around with, and if we had a minute left, I think I'd honestly joke with her about the "five dollars" she still owes me for a cheap movie I bought her. I think I'd probably throw all sentimentality out the window and just go for a laugh if we were about to die. That'd be the best thing.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 09:41:03 AM »
That too, that's a good point.  Just make sure you're relaxed, not afraid and all tense.  Just be yourself and enjoy your time with your most important people.

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 07:52:24 PM »
Yeah, there's a James Dean quote I really like that goes "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." I've been taking it to heart lately. It's really made my life a lot happier. I look at EVERYTHING in a positive light now.

Unbroken

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »
I like that quote. A lot.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 10:04:41 AM »
That is a really good quote.  I really like that. :)

fenian

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 11:06:52 PM »
Just saw the movie...thought it was brilliant.  I do not read reviews (relying on people who are being paid for their opinions is ridiculous).  I would rather form my own perspective.   I will not even discuss a movie before I see it. MNight has an agenda....it is very quite simple if you have listened to his interviews BUT I also believe there is more than just keeping people on the edge of their seats...there is always a "message".  BTW I was looking for the water "element"...anyone see one?

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 03:38:11 PM »
Nope, there wasn't as much element, or color reliance in this film.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 07:49:23 PM »
I would talk about our memories and what I would want them to do and that I would try to contact them if I could.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »
Yeah, Shyamalan makes a contrast between people who take the sentimental approach ( deschanel), those who talk about nothing (wahlberg with the two J boys), those who try to comfort others (Leguizamo), and those who have a sense of humor the whole time (wahlberg with deschanel) My tendency is to always talk about business first, so I would probably be trying to brief everyone on the most important things I think they should know before I'm gone.

As for the water element..maybe the clouds at the beginning? And there's the bath toward the end, where they are sort of letting go of (or washing away) all the unimportant things in their life and beginning to realize what their real priorities are.

As for color, there have been people who mentioned the earthy tones to the clothing of the main characters who survived. And of course there is the mood ring, the color of love, the green effect, etc
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:09:46 PM by Namaste »
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.