first impressions...

Author Topic: first impressions...  (Read 18679 times)

Khepri

• Praying with Anger

first impressions...
« on: June 12, 2008, 05:54:01 AM »
Finally...I've seen The Happening yesterday,and the first thing that I have to say is that the movie made me think a lot...the movie has a very direct style,no long questions about what's goin' on or whatever,the answers comme very quick. the most similar movie that he made was "signs" but like I said with a very different style of telling the story. That's maybe the most pessimist movie he ever made,as always in his movies you'll find a lot of humour(see the scene where mark talks with the plant in the house...just awesome...),but the real topic in this very strong movie is the question of what is really important,the question of survival. After treating themes like what you're place in the world(unbreakable) or the question of faith(signs) here comes an unexcepted story about loving each others,the truth,and what needs to be done for our children in this world where the real enemy is not the nature...
I hope that I haven't told you to much,just tried to give for someones a general picture of this incredible movie.
And sorry for my poor english... :-[

Khepri

• Praying with Anger

Re: first impressions...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 06:00:21 AM »
Oh...I forgot...Leguizamo rocks,and the actor that was in the village too(the doctor,one of the olders) is just amazing...

marco

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 06:36:48 AM »
Similar to Signs?? :o  :o
That's very good,now I'm even more excited than before!
"Welcome to The Cove"

srkbeno.1

• Wide Awake

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 07:07:36 AM »
I just bought my ticket for tomorrow 430 show!!! People in the past have hated Alot of M.Nights Work. I personally find him to be brilliant. I will see the film. and post my review here. and everyone should be careful in their reviews because alot of spoilers are already out

Sri HK

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 07:36:40 AM »
Finally...I've seen The Happening yesterday,and the first thing that I have to say is that the movie made me think a lot...the movie has a very direct style,no long questions about what's goin' on or whatever,the answers comme very quick. the most similar movie that he made was "signs" but like I said with a very different style of telling the story. That's maybe the most pessimist movie he ever made,as always in his movies you'll find a lot of humour(see the scene where mark talks with the plant in the house...just awesome...),but the real topic in this very strong movie is the question of what is really important,the question of survival. After treating themes like what you're place in the world(unbreakable) or the question of faith(signs) here comes an unexcepted story about loving each others,the truth,and what needs to be done for our children in this world where the real enemy is not the nature...
I hope that I haven't told you to much,just tried to give for someones a general picture of this incredible movie.

Glad you like it.

;)
What you see isn't always what u get.

spikeshinizle

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 08:11:21 AM »
I'm a huge Night fan, that's why I'm a member of this site and why I own all of his films on DVD.  Recently I've been watching all of his previous work, in anticipation for "The Happening".  This was a great way of looking at how he constructs all of his films and got me really excited for his latest story.

To drive the point home, I want to stress that I'm not just a casual movie fan.  I'm studying film and would one day love to write and produce my own stuff, Night has been an important influence on my style and storytelling so I've always kind of "looked up" to his films.

Boy oh boy, I was terribly disappointed with "The Happening"...this film is terrible.

There are little to no redeeming values in the movie, it's a like a spoof of a b-horror movie...except it's not a spoof, its taking itself seriously.  Night is normally able to draw great performances from his actors, that is not the case here.  Mark Whalberg and Zoey Deschanel are wooden and seem to be rehearsing lines during the entire film.  The supporting actors are o.k, but there isn't a stand out moment in the film at all in terms of acting.

I think the main problem is the script in general.  We're thrown right into the middle of the action, so we're basically told what's going on straight away.  The rest of the movie spends so much time trying to explain itself to us, through clunky unrealistic dialogue, that we loose all emotional attachment to the characters.

Likewise the scares seem to be non-existent.  Yes, there's a lot of violence...but where's the tension building that we all love from Shyamalan so much?  I miss those extremely long shots which help to create the atmosphere (like when the Aliens arrive to harvest in Signs, and kill the family dog).  Even James Newton Howard's score is lackluster, where were the themes which he normally builds so well?

All in all, I was severely disappointed and I honestly don't know what to expect from Night in the future.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 09:06:14 AM »

Hey, thanks for sharing with your thoughts with us. Now, I am more pumped up to watch this magnificent movie.
I can't wait.

Psychilles

• Signs

• Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:34:46 AM »
I'm a huge Night fan, that's why I'm a member of this site and why I own all of his films on DVD.  Recently I've been watching all of his previous work, in anticipation for "The Happening".  This was a great way of looking at how he constructs all of his films and got me really excited for his latest story.

To drive the point home, I want to stress that I'm not just a casual movie fan.  I'm studying film and would one day love to write and produce my own stuff, Night has been an important influence on my style and storytelling so I've always kind of "looked up" to his films.

Boy oh boy, I was terribly disappointed with "The Happening"...this film is terrible.

There are little to no redeeming values in the movie, it's a like a spoof of a b-horror movie...except it's not a spoof, its taking itself seriously.  Night is normally able to draw great performances from his actors, that is not the case here.  Mark Whalberg and Zoey Deschanel are wooden and seem to be rehearsing lines during the entire film.  The supporting actors are o.k, but there isn't a stand out moment in the film at all in terms of acting.

I think the main problem is the script in general.  We're thrown right into the middle of the action, so we're basically told what's going on straight away.  The rest of the movie spends so much time trying to explain itself to us, through clunky unrealistic dialogue, that we loose all emotional attachment to the characters.

Likewise the scares seem to be non-existent.  Yes, there's a lot of violence...but where's the tension building that we all love from Shyamalan so much?  I miss those extremely long shots which help to create the atmosphere (like when the Aliens arrive to harvest in Signs, and kill the family dog).  Even James Newton Howard's score is lackluster, where were the themes which he normally builds so well?

All in all, I was severely disappointed and I honestly don't know what to expect from Night in the future.

I kind of agrea with you... I went yesterday and the first thing I though was, damm.. this is plain bad. It made me a little sad. But I also though that my expactations were to high... I was bluiding it up for quiet a time.

The acting and the timing were also my problem... Where were those very nice acting moments? were are the very slow and long cuts... I missed that. Alot.

But now after a day.... I think I want to see it again, also on my own, because my dad was with me and he always has to say what he thinks about everthing that he sees, so that's a bit anoying...

I'll post a real review here ones I've watched it the second time.

spikeshinizle

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 09:40:08 AM »
I kind of agrea with you... I went yesterday and the first thing I though was, damm.. this is plain bad. It made me a little sad. But I also though that my expactations were to high... I was bluiding it up for quiet a time.

The acting and the timing were also my problem... Where were those very nice acting moments? were are the very slow and long cuts... I missed that. Alot.

But now after a day.... I think I want to see it again, also on my own, because my dad was with me and he always has to say what he thinks about everthing that he sees, so that's a bit anoying...

I'll post a real review here ones I've watched it the second time.

I agree, those long shots were great for character moments and for building tension.  The Happening just felt like a rushed mess.  Its funny that you say it made you 'sad'...I felt the same way afterwards, I was really bummed out.

I'll probably see it again too, only because I'm a fan and my mind is still trying to find anything about the movie it liked haha.  I'm not expecting to change my mind though.  It's really a shame :(

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 10:08:26 AM »
Huh, that's interesting.  Though I'm not ging to make my decisions until after I see the movie tomorrow.  Interesting, two people who didn't like it and one who loved it.  Guess I'll have to wait and see.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 10:45:21 AM »
As much as I've been looking forward to my film, I keep reminding myself to temper my expectations, because nothing is worse than the feeling of "anticipointment".  That's a word I use to desribe the feeling one has when they build something up in their mind so much, that even if it's not bad, it can't possibly live up to the expectations that we've set for it.  Given how much I've looked forward to this movie, and counted down the days, it's a prime candidate for this happening (pardon the pun).  So I've really tried to prepare myself, starting with my disappointment with the gore level in the red band trailer, to obviously cheesy acting in the previews, and especially as of late as negative reviews have trickled in, for the possibilty that this movie will not live up to my hopes and expectations.  I do feel like Night probably had to compromise some on his style and vision to make this movie, and if it flops because of it it's too bad because it will likely put an end to Shyamalan's solo career, and it was actually more the studio's fault than him for forcing him to go more gory, and get away from his usual style. 

But I'm getting ahead of myself here.  I've yet to see the movie, and quite possibly I'll think it's brilliant, and a return the the Night of old!  I just think it's important for us all to prepare ourselves for the increasingly real possibility that this movie isn't all that great.  The reviewers above are all "one of us", so I believe they gave the movie a fair shake.  And there are two negative and one positive.  Just beware of anticipointment is all everybody....
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »
*Crosses fingers*
Gosh, PLEASE let it be good!!!

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »
The movie was released in Holland today, and I just saw it.

I'm dissapointed...

The movie isn't really bad, but I thought it was Shyamalan's worst movie. The movie didn't scare me, there where no remoriable lines, there was no M. Night cameo, no twist ending.
Shyamalan created a really nice atmosphere in his latest movies: The Village, the house of Graham, The Cove. There isn't an area in the movie which you can hold to. It's always somewhere else.
Also the trailer already screened the best parts, there isn't much left except running.

About the story: it looks like M. Night made this movie just to scare you, not to have a good story line.

I'm sorry, I'll give The Happening another chance and watch it again, but then after the DVD release.
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 02:23:58 PM »
I am truly prepared to not like it.  I wouldn't even care to see the movie if M Night wasn't directing it.  That is the same exact way I went into Lady In The Water, and that is my favorite M Night movie.  Hopefully he didn't try to sell out a bit in trying to make a more mainstream movie and then end up making something even less palatable to the general movie going audience then his last 2 movies.  I am more excited then ever though considering how strange and mixed some of the reviews have been.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 02:35:47 PM »
There certainly is an element of mystery surrounding this movie that only adds to the excitement of actually seeing it, for better, or for worse!
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.