first impressions...

Author Topic: first impressions...  (Read 18676 times)

Miles

• The Sixth Sense

Re: first impressions...
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 03:17:04 PM »
Honestly, if you didnt like it thats fine, I understand, but I dont know if you can call it a bad movie. I mean even the guy from joblo said "Even his worst movies are better than most of the films out there". But Ill leave that up in the air untill i see the film lol what I do have to say though is, M Night did not sell out. He did not compromise his vision at all. thats why he went to fox because they were willing to work together but give night full control. He wouldnt have done it otherwise, Night is a control freak. Trying something differnt is not selling out ya know. His movies usually have long shots and paced acting, which I love. But you cant blame him for trying quicker shots and a more fast paced film to create the panic that he talks about so much. Hes still M Night. Its still his style. Hes  just trying differnt things. Remember hes only what 36 and hes only made 5 big films that "define" his style. Hs got a lot of time left. Im glad to let him try out other things on route to creating his ultimate style.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 04:21:39 PM »
Miles, take it easy.  I didn't say he sold out.  I just said I hope he didn't.  Selling out doesn't mean you can't do it in small doses.  If he made any decisions based on what he thought might be more mainstream or popular, technically that's a bit of a sell out.  Ultimately, I think he stuck to his gut, but I will make a better assessment after having seen it.  But you don't know that he didn't sell it out a bit so don't talk like you do know.  We mostly agree here so it's all good.  I happen to think he is the best director working, and I happen to think that he didn't sell out.  But he has been under TONS of scrutiny and it sounds like he has been willing to collaborate more in this last outing possibly because of that which, to me, sounds less like a control freak and more towards someone who could have went for the hit then doing what he wanted to do at any given moment.  But, again, I don't think he sold out.

marco

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »
After having read these two negative impressions and some interviews from Night himself,I'm definitely prepared to watch something new.From what I've understood,he's trying new ideas for his cinematography,and I think this can be good.But to be honest,if he gets rid of the emotional side typical of his works,that makes me really sad about The Happening...Let's see..  :-\
"Welcome to The Cove"

Miles

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 04:37:04 PM »
My bad dude, I didnt mean that directly to you. I only said that cause Ive heard it a bunch of differnt places, and I know its on a lot of peoples minds.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 05:24:55 PM »
It's cool.  Apparently I'm just egocentric enough to think everyone is talking about me when they post I guess, ha.

spikeshinizle

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
I don't want to be the guy who constantly posts negative stuff.  Like other have said, I really wanted this to be a return to the "Night of old", but it was nothing of the sort.  It's not just the difference in cinematography (which isn't as tight as it usually is).  It's the plot and dialogue as well...I don't want to give spoilers so I'll wait until most of you have seen it and then we can discuss.

Unbroken

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 09:12:36 PM »
Dadgum it. This don't look good. I'll keep an open mind, but I must say this really don't look good at all.

Critics are white noise as far as I'm concerned. Fellow fans, however, expressing disappointment isn't something I thought would happen.

Oh well. Night can still make like 15 more movies if he wants to, and I'm absolutely positive he'll do something amazing again, more than once I'm sure. This is not the end. This is just the end of the beginning.

M Night started out incredibly. And he will finish phenomenally, I guarantee.

srkbeno.1

• Wide Awake

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 02:49:09 AM »
i am leaving to see it right now.. will be back with review.. i have low expectations

srkbeno.1

• Wide Awake

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
My Review

Well as i mentioned before, i went with very very low expectations. Although, when the trailers came out, my expectations were through the roof! After reading so many negative comments, it got me down. But as usual i was there for the m night movie first day..

I know alot of people read these comments to find out if the person posting liked or disliked the movie. So i'll get right to it.. Let me start by saying, Yes, I did like the movie. Did i love it and think its one of his best works? No.

The film has a nice story with a brilliant idea. M night did a fantastic job directing. All the scenes that were about the "event" really were scary and well shot.

The acting. I donno why everyone is so mad at the "acting" in the movie. I think Mark and betty did a good job playing ordinary characters.

What i loved? I loved the scenes with the deaths. They were so disturbing and so natural. I loved the locations, the atmosphere and what i loved most was the mood of the film that was well maintained. The suspense keeps u at the egde of your seat

what i didnt like? I felt the film needed to be better scripted. M night usually gives huge attention to detail in each and every scene shot. In this film, that is a huge minus point. M night usually has elements such as the "red" omen, or his mini appearance in the film. All these things really made a difference to the m night fan watching.

The climax. So this is where i felt a major mistake was made. Although i am very happy it didnt have an obscure twist, it didnt even have a clear explanation as to what exactly happened! And this is what the entire audience was waiting for. I felt if they worked on the climax the film would work for alot more people than it did.

Over all. This film definitely ranks over Lady in the water, only because it was creepy. As far as the rest of the line up goes, it falls right behind the rest. Do not go in with huge expectations, as the film wont meet them. However, the film on its own, is a well made film and something that will make you think. I personally liked the film and i think on a second viewing i may end up really liking it. Ignore all the reviews your reading and just go watch the film. I promise, if you love Mnights work, you will enjoy the film..

7/10

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 09:12:37 AM »
Thanks Srkbeno...

Good Review. I can't wait to watch it.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 09:59:26 AM »
I know, I see it tonight, I can't wait.  It just gets me down though, all the bad reviews.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Miles

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 12:02:21 PM »
I just got back from seeing it.

I will say the first act, incredibly rushed. And I say that to be fair. M Night has flaws we need to embrace. And this is shown in the first act, its almost as like he just couldnt wait to tell the rest of the story.

But the second and third acts were just incredible. The acting, cinematography, directing, and dialogue, all got increasingly better towards the end. The ending is a little tiny bit weak, but I was satisfyed. Good way to close.

NOT REALLY A SPOILER BUT JUST IN CASE..
I especailly like marks cough syrup joke haha.

My favorite Night movie is signs and to me this ranks just under it.

Im not telling anybody they are wrong though, if you dont like it you cant help that, but I personally was very pleased.

Ill say 8/10

spikeshinizle

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 12:20:08 PM »
Ah man, now you guys are making me feel like I'm the guy who's being too harsh....I can't honestly see how you could like this better than his other films?  I mean, seriously, the script is pretty bad.  Lines like "hey give that back, it has meaning to me" are so stilted it's almost unbearable, the same goes for the crazy old womans speech about the pipe which links the house to the shed....it's so damn obvious that she's describing it so it can be used later in the story that she might as well have finished her sentence with "so, if you want to use that later in the story, please feel free".

Again (because I know you love his other films, and so do I) I'm not trying to be picky or poke fun at Night, I just think it's time we acknowledge that he can't always be perfect with his film making.  Of course, if you genuinely enjoy The Happening, then good for you, I'm totally jealous.  For me, there were way too many negative aspects  :(

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 01:10:54 PM »
Hey guys, I just got back.  And I have to say? its ok.  That?s it.  It?s an okay film that I believe was spoiled by all the trailers (especially the red band trailers) and the fact that my stupid ass read ?The Green Effect? script.  To be honest, when I first heard about the people who weren?t gonna watch or read anything before the movie, I was like ?man, they are just gonna hold this over us forever.?  But now, I am actually eager to hear from a fan that has not seen anything. But here is what I thought:

(SPOILERS!!) (SPOILERS!!) (SPOILERS!!) (SPOILERS!!) (SPOILERS!!)

First off, the film moves at lightning speed.  Not bad, but just an interesting change of pace compared to his other movies.

The film?s major flaw, I felt, was in some of the dialogue.  Mostly, I felt that the nursery owner/hot dog enthusiast (even though he was perhaps my second favorite character, next to Julian [John Leguizamo was so good with the little screen time he got, he was excellent]) spent too much time explaining HOW this could happen.  And at the end, when we get the long-drawn out discussion about why this was happening on the TV; it just felt totally unnecessary.  Especially considering towards the beginning, when Elliot?s class is talking about why the bees are disappearing. It felt like we were being beat over the head.

And the dialogue, I thought, was sort of sub-par.  And the actors were a little stiff and unnatural.  At least in the beginning.  But once  they got to that diner in Filbert, I thought that both the actors got comfortable, and that the dialogue got more fluid and natural. 

The film looked really, really nice.  The scene at the end, when Elliot, Alma, and Jess are waling towards each other in the blowing wind: the combination of ?Be With You? from the soundtrack and the footage was perhaps the best and most moving scene in the whole movie.  Although I felt that the lack of development between Elliot and Alma sort of hindered that excellent scene.

Another thing that bothered me in this movie was the emotional center of the movie.  That is perhaps the thing I have always loved about Night?s movies.  They weren?t just about ghosts, they weren?t just about aliens; they weren?t just about superheroes.  They had these deeper meanings.  This film sort of had this, with the idea of communication and display of affection humans display towards each other, but it was shrouded by the ?event? and the eco-friendly message.  The film also gave us a good look at how people act and behave in times of crisis.  When people are driving off, leaving other humans behind, and when people see military personnel and think ?the army?we?re safe?.  That was an interesting angle.  And I know that Night was trying to make a fun ?B? movie, but all his movies are ?B? movies, just with rich subtext and underlying themes and messages.  And I felt that this film was lacking that. 

The mood ring?s importance in the film was lost in ?The Happening?.  In ?The Green Effect?, the mood ring is a HUGE plot device, and really explains why they weren?t affected when they went outside nicely.  But, for some reason, they got rid of that explanation, and now we have to assume that the happening just ended luckily before they walked outside.  I just don?t understand why they cut that out.

I know this all reads like I hated the movie, buts that is not the case.  I have a bad habit of only expressing what I dislike about things over what I enjoyed about the things.  I don?t know why I do this, but I am working on it. This movie is by no means deserving of the reviews it is getting, and neither is Night.  But this definitely a simplified version of what I consider to be an M Night Shyamalan movie.  If any other director in the world made this identical movie, it probably would have gotten better reviews.  No one goes into a movie with an open mind anymore.

But I also recognize that I really shot myself in the foot by watching and reading everything I could before I saw the movie.  So of course I knew what was going to happen, and why there might not be that much tension for me.  And so, when I go see this film again (yes, I will be seeing it once more this weekend, and then again during the week), I will be with people who are not as informed as I am.  And hopefully, they will be more shocked and awed than I was.

But mostly, I blame myself. 

The Happening: 7/10

By no means bad, by no means great.  Sorry if this seems incoherent and long-winded, but I guess I still haven?t quite gathered my thoughts entirely.  As I type, a few pieces are starting to fall into place in my mind.  But I?ll save it for later.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »
Wow! 

I saw the movie this morning, and wanted to come in here and share my thoguhts/review on it.  However, so much of what I have to say has already been said in the last few reviews, so I will save me some typing and merely quote and piggyback on some things....

I know alot of people read these comments to find out if the person posting liked or disliked the movie. So i'll get right to it.. Let me start by saying, Yes, I did like the movie. Did i love it and think its one of his best works? No.

The film has a nice story with a brilliant idea. M night did a fantastic job directing. All the scenes that were about the "event" really were scary and well shot.

The acting. I donno why everyone is so mad at the "acting" in the movie. I think Mark and betty did a good job playing ordinary characters.

The climax. So this is where i felt a major mistake was made. Although i am very happy it didnt have an obscure twist, it didnt even have a clear explanation as to what exactly happened! And this is what the entire audience was waiting for. I felt if they worked on the climax the film would work for alot more people than it did.

Over all. This film definitely ranks over Lady in the water, only because it was creepy. As far as the rest of the line up goes, it falls right behind the rest. Do not go in with huge expectations, as the film wont meet them. However, the film on its own, is a well made film and something that will make you think. I personally liked the film and i think on a second viewing i may end up really liking it. Ignore all the reviews your reading and just go watch the film. I promise, if you love Mnights work, you will enjoy the film..

7/10

I quoted the stuff I agreed with SRKbeno about.  Me personally, I liked it more than Unbreakable as well, though my dad who saw it with me, ranked it behind that as well like SRKbeno.  I think 7 out of 10 is a good ranking for the films, and upon repeated viewings it might move up a little, and even threaten to pass The Sixth Sense in my rankings.  I definitely feel like this is a film that needs to be given repeated viewings, as the initial reactions upon watching it are likely to be different from how you feel after thinking about it a little bit.  I, at least, found that to be the case, as did my dad.  There really is something important and valuable being said here in The Happening, but it is much more hidden and obscured by the obvious extrernal events, and frenetic pacing of the movie.  That's good for keeping the intensity flowing, but bad for character development and really driving home the poignant message I think the movie's trying to make.  And no, I again think the whole "eco-crisis" is a red herring, and merely another vehicle for the more personal and meaningful point the movie is trying to make. 

*Potential Spoiler alert if you don't want to know my idea of the "message" in advance.*

While it's not as clearly defined as some of Night's messages in his movies, I believe that overarching message is really that people need to value life more, and not be so selfish and consumed with their own little world that they fail to build realtionships with others, or treat them with respect, or even respect the world and environment that we live in.  It's all about the importance of relationships, and the importance of valuing what we've been given, and not taking it for granted.  I don't believe aliens are ever going to attack earth, nor do I think nature is ever going to turn on us as depected in The Happening.  However, I think they are dramatic examples that reveal the more important message being brought forth in the films. There's a lot more that could be said about this, but it's still seeping into me deeper as I write, and I definitely want to see it again a couple times to fully glean everything from it I can.  This is definitely an "onion" movie, and one that will take a lot more effort to draw things out of than some of the others.     

RE: Miles' review

I felt the whole movie was rushed, to keep up the pace and intensity befitting a thriller/horror film.  I think that's why character development was a little neglected, especially in some of the secondary characters, and the message somewhat obscured.  I would like to see a more thoughtful version, that's a little longer, and isn't so concered with "shocking" and "horrifying" the audience, but rather developing the story more.  Maybe there'll be a director's cut more like that.  Probably not, but it would be nice, as I feel that there's a lot more to this movie wanting to be told, then ever is, or likely will be.

RE: spikeshinzle

I honestly like it better than LITW and Unbreakable, and that's just taking it at face value.  As I come to grips more and more with the message and meaning of the film, it's inching up in my level of appreciation.  I definitely recommend seeing it again, as I think you may see more in it than you did at first.  As for the script, I agree it wasn't shakespere, or even terribly clever, but aside from maybe a few lines, it was effective, and real.  That's something I think reviewers, especially "film critic" types forget when reviewing dialogue.  People don't really talk like a lot of thoughtfully written movies.  People speak in a much more natural, uninspired, and reactionary way.  I think some of the lines fell flat, or felt unnatural, but not a ton, and not even the same ones that you described.  Too each their own though....  I don't think he's perfect all the time either, and there are certainly some flaws here, but in the end I don't think the negatives outweigh the positives. 

First off, the film moves at lightning speed.  Not bad, but just an interesting change of pace compared to his other movies.

The film?s major flaw, I felt, was in some of the dialogue.  Mostly, I felt that the nursery owner/hot dog enthusiast (even though he was perhaps my second favorite character, next to Julian [John Leguizamo was so good with the little screen time he got, he was excellent]) spent too much time explaining HOW this could happen.  And at the end, when we get the long-drawn out discussion about why this was happening on the TV; it just felt totally unnecessary.  Especially considering towards the beginning, when Elliot?s class is talking about why the bees are disappearing. It felt like we were being beat over the head.

And the dialogue, I thought, was sort of sub-par.  And the actors were a little stiff and unnatural.  At least in the beginning.  But once  they got to that diner in Filbert, I thought that both the actors got comfortable, and that the dialogue got more fluid and natural. 

The film looked really, really nice.  The scene at the end, when Elliot, Alma, and Jess are waling towards each other in the blowing wind: the combination of ?Be With You? from the soundtrack and the footage was perhaps the best and most moving scene in the whole movie.  Although I felt that the lack of development between Elliot and Alma sort of hindered that excellent scene.

But this definitely a simplified version of what I consider to be an M Night Shyamalan movie.  If any other director in the world made this identical movie, it probably would have gotten better reviews.  No one goes into a movie with an open mind anymore.

The Happening: 7/10

By no means bad, by no means great.

I agree with a lot of what was quoted above, though as I mentioned before I didn't think the dialogue was too bad, not as bad as what I expected from some of the previews.  There did need to be more development of characters, including Elliot and Alma, and the emotional center of the movie would have been even better.  However, I definitely think it was there, as I stated above, and hopefully upon your repeated viewings it comes to you a little more clearly.  It took me a little bit of thinking to really flesh it out as well.  I would have preferred part about the mood ring you mentioned, as I think that would have been a stronger explanation than the one the movie gave.  The ending was definitely a weak point in the film, and that would have made it a little bit better.  Especially since they kept bringing it up all through the movie only to ditch the crux of it's point at the end.  Strange choice....  I wouldn't say it's great either, but I do think it good, and the more I think about it, the closer I think it gets to being very good. 

Bottom line for me, I am happy with the movie, and look forward to digging deeper into it, and thinking about it's meaning more over time.  I think it's weaker than his best efforts, but as long as you don't have unrealistic expectations, or want it to be textbook "filmmaking" (which I think is actually overrated), I think you will be pleased with the movie.  It was nice to see Shyamalan in action again, and making a little more sense (in my opinion) this time! 
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.