Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 178

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 183

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 184

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 220

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 223

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 235

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 250

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 268
first impressions...

Author Topic: first impressions...  (Read 25422 times)

spikeshinizle

• The Sixth Sense

Re: first impressions...
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2008, 04:16:28 AM »
MrStone, I pretty much agree with you.  I haven't read the first draft, but it felt to me like there was a good film hidden inside this weird mish-mash of stuff.  I'm wondering if you still have a copy of the script?  Would you be able to send it to me? I'd love to see Night's original vision for the story.

I saw it for a second time today, even though I was thoroughly disappointed the first time around.  Going in with low expectations, I was able to enjoy the film a little more and I could see where Night was trying to go with the narrative and theme....he doesn't get there though and over all my opinion is pretty much the same.
I'm still a fan and I'll probably buy this on DVD when it comes out, because I respect the guy and what he's trying to do.

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2008, 06:32:06 AM »
Miles, take it easy.  I didn't say he sold out. 

i'm going to go out on a limb here and i expect you all to hate me (although it seems like most of you would agree...) but, i kind of feel like he did sell out.  i hate to be that person that is all "oh man, they totally sold out", but compared to his previous films this was really different to me.  it was all about plot and gore.  (by the way SPOILER: the lion video was completely ridiculous and unnecessary)  the thing i used to love about his movies were the characters but i didn't feel like there was any character development in this film, i didn't feel a connection to them at all.  so that disappointed me.

i don't think it was a bad film, (it doesn't deserve the 1 and a half stars it got in my local newspaper) i just feel like this time he went for plot rather then characters and i didn't like that choice.  i still love him to bits, but i'm now thinking that he'll never beat his older films, i don't know if he still has 'it' which makes me sad.

i also kind of felt like he cut out bits from signs and inserted them into this...anyone else pick up on that?

on a positive note i REALLY enjoyed the opening credits, i would say they are THE BEST i've ever seen! and i liked the score too, that was well done. 

also, i remember in some interview i watched with him he said after a success like the sixth sense and signs were he liked to make something more obscure to follow it with.  so i'm hoping (after avatar) he will write a low budget, obscure, little movie that will blow everyone away!
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

srkbeno.1

• Wide Awake

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2008, 07:31:57 AM »
i have to agree with afivillage.. his quality of film wasnt up to the mark. had this film been handled the way he handled signs.. i bet he could have out done signs. as this had a much creepier feel. but he didnt. i feel maybe he rushed it

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2008, 08:46:11 AM »
I thought the quality was all there. It took a few scenes but it really started feeling like his kind of work after that, maybe more so geared towards Signs and Lady in the Water. Tak Fukimoto did some wonderful things with the camera, accentuating the tension with more close ups than long shots as was the case in the past. I walked away from it with the same kind of feeling I got from Lady in the Water. There was a hint of a refreshing, "Wow, I've never seen anything like that before," and an overwhelming sense of sadness knowing that this premise is all too plausible though the effects may not be so drastic. I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't stop noticing the wind blowing through the trees and tall grass on the side of the roads on the ride home. Anyway I'm going to see it again today so I can soak up more than just the story. It's all part of my master plan to bring as many people to see the film as possible. It's all part of the plan...

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

Sri HK

• Futuristic (After Earth)

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2008, 09:30:53 AM »
I have a question.  Do you guys remember the title card that says what time it is when the walk out to be with each other at the end?  And what time do they say "The Happening" ended on the newscast right after that?

I believe it was 9:59 am and the newscast said the same.......tue 8:XX to Wed 9:49.

What you see isn't always what u get.

moonflower843

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2008, 11:10:15 AM »
*SPOILER*

Out of curiosity, does anyone see a striking resemblance to the mrs jones window scene and the bike rider at the car window in the sixth sense?

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2008, 11:47:36 AM »
i absolutely agree with the majority of people here.

there was some review somewhere that said in this film was a great film trying to break free

for me the movie felt insanely fast.
so fast i cant even say.

super super fast.

it should have been like 25 minutes longer

and in those minutes even if there werent any thrills, there absolutely should have been much longer development in story.

this could have been better than signs.
remember that scene in signs wheree its just merrill and grahham talking about fate (my fav conversation in a movie EVERR)

i was expecting that conversation to happen.
it was that conversation that made you feel SSOOOOOOOOOOO insanelygood at the end of the movie when he regains his aith.

when mark came out at the end of the movie to "be with" alma, it would have felt so good if there was that conversation about their relationship.

i felt like this movie didnt have a soul as much as signs did.

and it wasnt scary at alll!!!! the only scary time was at the bettys house when she creepsup on him looking at the doll. THAT was genuinely scary!

it was just disturbing!

ps. didnt that shot of the ipod look like total product placement until they zooomed in

BUT ALL IN ALL - for me it was his least best film but i still liked it a lot.
 and im going to see it multiple times.

i think out of everyone, zooey was PERRRFECT.

especially her face at the end
i wanted to hug her.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2008, 12:05:04 PM »
You guys are totally making me crazyyyyyyyyyyyyy!! ;D
Never saw so many impressions in such a short time before!!Even with LITW,two years ago :o
I'm going to see it tonight and I really can't wait anymore!! :-X
You know,I've been repeating in my mind "It'll be a b-movie,don't expect something else" for almost three days,because I'm afraid to get disappointed at the end ::)
"Welcome to The Cove"

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2008, 12:58:15 PM »
heres my review.

YOU ALL ARE CRAZY!!!
THE MOVIE WAS JUST ABOUT FLAWLESS.

EXCLUDING some of the small acting scenes, the movie was so well done. Absolutely brilliant. Not because hes my favorite director, but because given the subject of the movie.....it was done so well.
the tone was masterful, i was creeped out the entire movie. i really believed that this was possible.
and it was what i thought to be the most realistic depiction of the apocalypse ever put on film. It felt like the old Shyamalan was making this movie. Id compare it to the Sixth Sense or even Signs. I ve seen it 3 times now and can't understand everyones complaints. I was utterly blown away at how well this strange idea was pulled off. The emotion created between Mr. Good Vibrations and Zoeey when they were separated talking to each other through the **SPOILER** slave hole **SPOILER ENDED** was on par with the Lucous and Ivy porch talk in The Village, which was my all time favorite scene in any movie.
If this story was given to another director, it would have been so terrible.
Overall. I am COMPLETELY in love with The Happening.

Im taking my girlfriend tonight to see it for my 4th time.

\
for all the shyamalan haters....not on this board, but in the world.

YOU CAN ALL KISS MY BIG, WHITE,  PERFECT ASS!!!!!!! ILL FIGHT YOU ANY DAY, ANY TIME, ANYWHERE!!!
HAHAHA

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2008, 01:02:08 PM »
there was some review somewhere that said in this film was a great film trying to break free

for me the movie felt insanely fast.
so fast i cant even say.

super super fast.

it should have been like 25 minutes longer

and in those minutes even if there werent any thrills, there absolutely should have been much longer development in story.

this could have been better than signs.
remember that scene in signs wheree its just merrill and grahham talking about fate (my fav conversation in a movie EVERR)

i was expecting that conversation to happen.
it was that conversation that made you feel SSOOOOOOOOOOO insanelygood at the end of the movie when he regains his aith.

when mark came out at the end of the movie to "be with" alma, it would have felt so good if there was that conversation about their relationship.

i felt like this movie didnt have a soul as much as signs did.

I really agree with everthing I quoted above.  It had a lot of untapped potential, and could have been one of his best movies were it given a little more time, and was slowed down a tad.
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2008, 01:25:14 PM »
Alright, well here's my review of the film. I saw it on day 1. This was actually my review I posted on Myspace, so I just copied and pasted it here...Please don't kill me. Lol.

So is it Happening?...Not quite sure...

I was anticipating this film like a rabid movie freak for almost 2 years. I've always been a fan of M. Night Shyamalan's films, but lately, his work has been getting a bit rusty--most notably, "Lady in the Water", his previous film. I wanted him to bounce back with "The Happening". I was rooting him on. I was promoting it like nobody's business...But in the end I can't help but feel a bit let down--again.

The premise is very original and promising; A family goes on the run from what is believed to be a toxin that is somehow unleashed into the air across the east coast. This toxin causes people to lose control of their own bodies...making them do horrendous acts to themselves; suicide in any way possible.

There is a major flaw in this R-rated horror film; it's not scary. I found "Lady in the Water" to be scarier than this. Seriously. What saddens me the most about this aspect--or lack thereof-- is that ,ONCE AGAIN, Night is promoting this as a scary movie--even saying it's his scariest movie to-date. The beginning credits look VERY promising. It gave the movie a very foreboding feeling. I wish the feeling I had watching those clouds move stuck around throughout the whole movie...Unfortunately, those feelings quickly fade. Sorry, Night, but it may be your LEAST scary movie to-date. Why the R rating? This film would have been just as affective without the mindless gore. Much of the violence seems rushed and unnecessary. It had some SHOCKING moments and images...But for the most part it lacked that "boo" factor, and creepiness of other Night films.

The film is hilarious. That's right, I thought the film was hilarious. The problem is that this movie is supposed to scare you!!! While the film attempts to use humor as a way to ease the "suspense" through some jokes and such, much of the humor is actually unintentional!--Or it should seem that way! Seeing a close up of people's reactions to other people dying is down-right funny. Night needed better extras, I'll just put it that way. I couldn't stop laughing when some crazy old lady started bashing her face through windows!

The dialogue is even worse. Oh, gosh. This is one of the movie's biggest flaws. If you are gonna' make me believe in something that I can't see, at least provide me with people who SOUND convincing! Phrases like, "They're killing themselves!!!" Make you roll your eyes and yell out, "DUH!" Tell me something I don't know. Many of the conversations also feel stale. Most of the acting that accompanies the dialogue is just as bad.

Another disappointment was the character development. One thing Night, for the most part, has always done right, is create characters who are interesting and who have depth. These characters don't. Mark Wahlberg's character, Elliott Moore, is funny and quirky...But I never really cared for the other characters. In fact, I've already forgotten their names...Not a good sign.

While it seems as though I'm bashing this film and down-right hate it. The fact is that I actually quite enjoyed it. It's not the best horror movie you'll ever see, but it may be worth checking out if you go in with an open mind. The story is very original and made me walk out thinking, "what if?" If a film has that sort of impact on you, it's not a real failure. Also, like I said, the movie is very funny--it may be for the wrong reasons--but funny none-the-less. It also gives off a strange creepy vibe. It's also very well filmed. Oh, and let's not forget the best part: The musical score. Once again, James Newton Howard has created a masterpiece of music. While the score sometimes adds to the awkward comedic moments of the film, it keeps you on your toes. Very, very nice.

So in the end it comes to this: Do you want to give it a shot? I wanted to give this film a slightly higher score because I did enjoy it overall...But I knew I would be so bias if I did so. If you decide to watch this film, do so at your own risk. I'm not saying it's great--I'm not even saying it's good. This is one of those movies that tosses the horror book out the window and attempts to do something new. For the most part I don't believe it succeeds, but it definitely leaves you with some kind of impression. You may like it, you may hate it, you may think it's ok. I honestly can't say for sure.

A quick note to Night, though, from one of your BIGGEST fans and supporters:
PLEASE collaborate with a professional screenwriter. You're a phenomenal filmmaker. You know how to make movies...It's just that your screenplays could use some help. Go back and look at your first true masterpiece, "The Sixth Sense". Dissect it. Take a long good look at it. Look at everything that worked. THAT movie was suspenseful and scary. THAT movie had great character development. THAT movie played out smooth as silk. THAT movie had great acting and dialogue. THAT movie was GREAT. As much as it pains me to say, I don't think I could continue defending your work, dude.

FINAL SCORE: C

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2008, 03:50:37 PM »
Rulm, I understand where you're coming from, but I would give the movie an A.  I absolutely loved it.  It was amazing.  One of the few things I would do to imporove it would be too make it two hours like his other films, then you could get a little more character development.  Got to run, I'll post more about the movie later.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2008, 04:28:59 PM »
Rulm, I understand where you're coming from, but I would give the movie an A.  I absolutely loved it.  It was amazing.  One of the few things I would do to imporove it would be too make it two hours like his other films, then you could get a little more character development.  Got to run, I'll post more about the movie later.

I don't see how anyone could think this movie's great. Please tell me what you thought was so great about it. I don't see it. I liked it, but didn't love it at all.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2008, 04:51:48 PM »
By the way, I've read through all of the reviews on this thread and I'm honestly saddened. Critics don't matter, but seeing fellow fans express disappointment is depressing. Though, we have to be real here; The Happening could have been a classic...Unfortunately, it's only ok...And I'm being nice with that statement.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2008, 06:04:05 PM »
I agree Rulm.  I am totally bummed a lot of people here aren't crazy about it.  However, I liked it quite a bit, just not as good as his last 4.  And when you say this could have been a classic, do you mean that every movie that M Night makes could be a classic?