Should M.Night take break from writing?

Author Topic: Should M.Night take break from writing?  (Read 3376 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Should M.Night take break from writing?
« on: June 13, 2008, 10:01:31 AM »
Hi guys, I was just thinking recently that should M.Night stop writing for a while and keep directing scripts from other people? I think he should do it. He is an very talented writer and director.

He said it himself while back that he loves to read scripts from other people and if it impresses him, he will make it to a movie.

And also, there is chance for other writers to work with M.Night.

Rohan

ALF

• The Village

• Email
Re: Should M.Night take break from writing?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 10:54:29 AM »
I've just read today in a magazine the same thing. They were talking about the idea that maybe M.Night has fear of losing control of his projects if he let the scrypt to another people, but also they say that maybe it could help him to open his eyes to another ideas and projects and concentrate all his effort in what he does really well: directing.

I admire directors who create their own stories and then produce and direct them, but also agree with the idea of trying to give an opportunity to other people to show their ideas and read them, that's the best way to help cinema re-invent itself. But I'm sure about something: if he let the scrypt to another person, then something of his original, personal and own style will get lost.

This is not a question to answer without thinking about it, don't yo think so?
Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

Unbroken

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 12:55:29 PM »
If Night needs to take a break from writing, I think he should just go on vacation. I mean, the unique stories and relationships between the characters is half of what makes his movies so good; the other half is him directing, and bringing these great people and ideas to life.

If Night directs someone else's script, it wouldn't really be as much an M Night Shyamalan film as the others. An M Night Shyamalan film is a portrait of his amazing personal ideas and dreams. I don't want him to paint someone else's picture. That's one of the reasons I'm not particularly ecstatic about Avatar, even though he is writing it himself.

However, I'm certain that if he's given someone else's script, he will make it into the best film it can be. None the less, it wouldn't have all of that distinguishable essence that draws me to his movies.

sunflower

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:56:46 PM »
Good question. I don't know the answer to that. I do like the idea of Night directing another writer's script, especially if it's a story he is passionate about. Sometimes projects work best with one writer/director executing their solo vision, other times it's the collaboration of several people's ideas and perspectives that makes something great. I do think having to be in total control of everything from start to finish is a LOT of pressure. When it goes right, of course it's nice to get all the credit, but if people don't like it, then you get all the blame. It seems like he has done one movie after the other for many years. That is a difficult pace to keep up with. To keep writing constantly and generating new, fresh ideas isn't always easy. I've read most of Night's scripts. The Sixth Sense, Labor of Love, Unbreakable and even the Village are just amazing from a writing standpoint. I've read few other scripts that compare in terms of story, emotion, symbolism and depth. Night is a VERY talented writer, there's no question about that. Sometimes you can become a better writer by getting out of your comfort zone, travel to distant places, relocate to a new city, experience totally different things, meet all sorts of new people, etc. Anything that expands your frame of reference takes your writing to another level. I hope Night keeps writing and working on new projects of his own and as collaborations.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »
I know what you guys' point is and personally I love his work of writing and directing and I have enjoyed all his films till date. I am not glad he is doing "The Last Airbender", but we can't do anything about it. He loves to make kid movies too. The reason I don't want him to do TLA because its not his taste. He always made emotional,suspensful films. I am sure there are lots of hidden ideas in his mind that he can come up with and be better than "The Sixth Sense".

I might like "The Airbender" once we see teaser trailer for it.

I want M.Night to start working on make other people's scripts into movies cause I want him to see that how many people really want to work with him. He been working with the same crew for years now.

As an writer myself, I love to give my script rights to him. And I didn't posted this topic because I am a writer and want to work with him. Hey, I love, too though.

When he writes I want him to direct it himself. I don't want any other director to direct his writing, cause his way of writing is made for his own style.

I want him adopt scripts that suspense,thrillers,scary, speaking of scary not "hostel" type.

I hope you guys know what I mean.

FoxxyMama

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 02:26:45 PM »
i think that he should take a different approach and write books instead of just going right into making the movies that way we can get all the details on his stories and if the books are successful he can make them into movies...i would absolutely love to read something that Shyamalan wrote!
"Whats furry furry rabbit?"
"Its a game isn't it?"

Unbroken

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 05:12:28 PM »
Man, a book by M Night would be awesome.

wiivo

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 12:00:20 PM »
Huh? He has already written a book. Its called The Cook Book and its awesome  ;D

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 01:56:10 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm new here to this site.  I definately think M. Night should stop writing for a while.  We need to see what he can do with other ideas.  That, in my opinion is what will show what kind of director he is.  He's great at directing his own material, but is good at bringing the best in other people stuff?  I believe with "Avatar" he'll do a great job.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 08:31:03 PM »
Huh? He has already written a book. Its called The Cook Book and its awesome  ;D

Good one.. ;D

SkarpoTheSorcerer

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 06:08:21 AM »
I think he should hire a partner to help him out, i believe that he is having too much pressure right now, he has wonderful concepts for movies but i wish he could get someone to help him with his scripts.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 03:58:05 PM »
I think he should hire a partner to help him out, i believe that he is having too much pressure right now, he has wonderful concepts for movies but i wish he could get someone to help him with his scripts.

Who do you think could be perfect as a partner for M.Night.

Rohan

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 04:07:19 PM »
I seriously hope he won't do such a thing.I think his latest work was not so brilliant like Signs or The 6th Sense for example,but I still like his original ideas.Everything he does smells like new :D
"Welcome to The Cove"

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »
M. Night has written a book, called Lady in the Water

http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Water-M-Night-Shyamalan/dp/0316017345
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 04:24:23 PM »
M. Night has written a book, called Lady in the Water

http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Water-M-Night-Shyamalan/dp/0316017345

Yeah,but it's nothing more than a very short fairy tale for children (originally made for his two daughters).
"Welcome to The Cove"