Is "The Happening" anti-gay? *spoilers*

Author Topic: Is "The Happening" anti-gay? *spoilers*  (Read 1950 times)

b1lly

• Praying with Anger

• Email
Is "The Happening" anti-gay? *spoilers*
« on: June 13, 2008, 07:31:54 PM »
Firstly, let me say that I am a huge M Night fan. I really dug this movie, even if it wasn't my fave Night flick.
The thing I love most about Shyamalan as a film-maker is that as a viewer, I never know where he'll take me next.
Having said that, one thing about the themes of this movie is bugging me...Was there an anti-gay bias?

It seems to me that the natural forces that were responsible for causing people to kill themselves spared Elliot and his wife from their destruction because they were sort of the test-subjects for a re-boot of the human race. Especially at the end with the pregnancy test & all,  the message came across to me that they were saved because they represented a sort of "pure" version of humans that nature wanted to re-establish & co-exist with. Man + woman + child + baby (which may have been a boy) = nuclear family or a "pure" version of humans which are "as nature intended". They represented a "pure" version of a family that followed nature's rules so their lives were spared.
Free from the pollution & abuse that people have caused to the planet. There are no direct killings of gays in the movie or anything, but what other reason was there for nature to spare Elliot's family if not because they represented a version of humanity that could re-populate the planet and show it the value of love that Elliot displays at the end when he goes to be with his wife & child despite the danger of the environment to get to them?  Maybe I'm off-base here, but did anyone else get this vibe from the movie?

okokokok

• LITW

Re: Is "The Happening" anti-gay? *spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 08:30:44 PM »
I personally don't think the idea was that "nature" spared them and I definitely don't think there was any anti-gay subtext.  The reason they lived I think had more to do with Wahlbergs teacher/student instincts then it did with chance, or rather, nature making a decision.  Maybe her being pregnant at the end is a symbol of the resolution of their relationship problems?   

spikeshinizle

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:07:59 PM »
I don't think it was that planned out man.  They were spared because the crisis just happened to end when they walked outside to be with each other.  The other times they managed to outrun it and stay in small groups, thats all.

BN

• Unbreakable

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 10:05:51 PM »
Agree with okok here. There is no deep meaning implied or otherwise in this movie. Also, the ending was a bit depressing in that - how many times will anyone survive ?

SenorBudd

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 10:14:21 PM »
I still don't understand how anyone can say there was an anti-gay bias.  ???

It's one thing to say that mother earth's plants are sporing to protect it from humans, but to say that they now pick and choose the gender, sexual preference, and age of the survivors is a bit of a rubber band stretch. So want to explain that theory?

okokokok, I feel the same as you about the pregnancy.

Kable

• Signs

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 10:20:28 PM »
Hey, sorry but this sounds non-sense. But thanks for the theory

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 02:49:13 PM »
Yea, I agree with everybody else, that's taking it too far.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village