Tell me i'm not the only one who sees this *spoilers*

Author Topic: Tell me i'm not the only one who sees this *spoilers*  (Read 9225 times)

kindof conscious

• Praying with Anger

Tell me i'm not the only one who sees this *spoilers*
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:16:23 PM »
I was iffy about shyalaman until this film... however, here, it was brilliant.

The movie, CLEARLY to me, and my friend whom i went with, was a comedy.  That was the twist.  Think about it.
The monster was plants!!!
Cheese and crackers? Cough syrup? By the gods the movie was totally hilarious.  I beleive this was all intentional.  He sets it up like a horror film.  The unexplained suicides, blatant gore, lack of humor, the split of the group, everything! but slowly he lets (the intelligent) percentage of the audience (in my theater it was me and my friend... Almost everyone else seemed to have hated it and wanted their time and money back), know that the whole thing is really just a joke somewhat on himself, and largely on the audience.  As we walked home from the theater, we wished we would've stayed for the credits in the hopes that at the end of it Night might've just been sitting there, laughing and  pointing at the audience, rolling in money, because they got punked, and he got away with it with a good dollar in his pocket.  PLANTS! Even when the kids get shot "Bring gas into my house?!" (we found this line pricelessly hilarious).

Some of the best evidence (aside from "plants" which is just mind blowingly funny) is the old lady.  She had nothing to do with the plot... she was just insane, out of her mind, mad, and totally superfluous.  Steal her things!? Kill her in her sleep!?!? I could not stop laughing... she was simply hilarious, and that time, even the audience (who frowned on us laughing when the man killed himself with a tractor.  Seriously, thats going so far out of your way its blatantly funny) laughed at the old woman.  And then she rams her head through every window, like she was one of the stooges.  The first window might've been interpreted as effective, but the second was priceless.  And then at the end, they walk out into the field, totally illogically, for almost no reason (ok, love, wow, so cliche that i think this too was a joke).

Lastly, this is the second movie where the trailers totally misled the audience.  In Lady in the Water, people were led to beleive it was "The Ring" except there's a pool, and it turns out to essentially be a fantasy.  Now, people think again, its some sort of horror thriller from the corpses hanging from trees and people jumping from roof tops.  Then you get there with your girlfriend (i was not, btw, with mine) you either realize that Shyalaman is messing with you, or you think its a horrible movie and that (somehow) this famous director somehow forgot how to make films.

I don't think its possible that Night made this film intending for it to be a real thriller.  Its simply too funny, and too well played out.  The fact that the beginning pulls you in like a real movie and then the movie morphs over time into this ridiculous comedy under the guise of gore is too blatant for me.  please tell me I'm not the only one, lol.

auhin

• Praying with Anger

Re: Tell me i'm not the only one who sees this *spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 11:21:54 PM »
Very interesting. But I still have to disagree, although not wholly. I felt something like this in the i-shoot-myself-then-you-pick-up-my-gun-and-do-the-same-thing sequence. Maybe M. Night was trying to make gore ridiculous, but the raw though of mass suicide is still scary when you consider it. M. Night was contrasting the surreal horrors with down-to-earth, honest love, which imo, ends the Happening. They walk outside, causing the whole ting to stop. It's not just coincidence that it stops at that moment. The Happening is a test of mankind, that's my theory.

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 11:41:42 PM »
I might agree with the first poster. I loved it though.

kindof conscious

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 11:58:59 PM »
from wikipedia:
Shyamalan expressed a great deal of regret in the way the film was marketed, telling producing partner Sam Mercer, while overseeing the editing of the teaser trailer for Lady in the Water, that he had wished for the The Village to have been sold as a period romance with a scare only at the end of the trailer.

Obviously, the man wants to market his films as one thing and then have them turn out to be of a different genre.  he has a plan here.

SenorBudd

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 12:12:04 AM »
The second window crazy old lady bashed her skull into was a hilarious scene. Lots of other funny instances but not to the extent of Night making a comedy for joke's sake.

Maybe it's just me but if you were laughing as hard an often as you say, woulda had to point you out as a big douche.  ::)

kindof conscious

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 12:16:48 AM »
The second window crazy old lady bashed her skull into was a hilarious scene. Lots of other funny instances but not to the extent of Night making a comedy for joke's sake.

Maybe it's just me but if you were laughing as hard an often as you say, woulda had to point you out as a big douche.  ::)

the fact that other people in the audience also found it funny and laughed refuted that argument (almost).  Its just that we laughed sometimes when other people didn't because they all thought it was supposed to be scary and not ridiculous. Too many people interpreted their laughing as laughing at shyamalan and not with him.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 02:44:19 AM »
I agree, this movie was funny.  I enjoy M Night's sense of humor quite a bit.  Welcome to the site.

Rulm

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 02:59:52 AM »
The movie was a riot! LOL!!! Seriously, Lady in the Water was scarier. If it weren't for the laughs, I wouldn't have liked this movie at all.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 09:00:40 AM »
I think there was intentional humor in the movie, though not the extent that you supposedly do.  I do have to say your post got me laughing a bit!  lol.  In fact, I think it might be good for you to stay away from some "monster" plants yourself!  :P
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

SenorBudd

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 12:42:18 PM »
Alright, let me share the humor. That arrogantly handsome kid in the class, who was scared of what the future would bring to his face attributes. Thanks to his science teacher, of course. When he got reassured it was just a joke, he does a point and has an O-face of relief. That made 95% of the people laugh.

gooser47

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 03:42:35 PM »
i thought it was a comedy too. at some parts when the main characters were all sitting talking to each others you could see a microphone at the top of the screen, our whole theater starting cracking up it happened so many times

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 03:43:43 PM »
I think the movie was funny, but was not at all a comedy.  The funny moments helped to lighten the mood, and they were funny, but how could you laugh when people are dying?
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

mimefingers

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 09:54:23 PM »
OH MY GOD, I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw it today.  No joke, I was thinking to myself, "This movie feels like a comedy.  M Night is not this bad of a writer."  I honestly, swear to god, was sitting there hoping that in the end, it was a joke.  The acting was terrible!  The lines were terrible!

Surely Night is sitting at his computer right now, reading all the nasty reviews for the movie laughing his head off.

When his wife asks him what's so funny, he says, "THEY THOUGHT I WAS SERIOUS!"

Man, as a big fan of all his previous movies, I am now going to pretend that The Happening was purely a joke.  And I'm glad to read that someone else out there caught on the Shyamalan's big prank on all the movie goers.

wiivo

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
OH MY GOD, I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw it today.  No joke, I was thinking to myself, "This movie feels like a comedy.  M Night is not this bad of a writer."  I honestly, swear to god, was sitting there hoping that in the end, it was a joke.  The acting was terrible!  The lines were terrible!

Surely Night is sitting at his computer right now, reading all the nasty reviews for the movie laughing his head off.

When his wife asks him what's so funny, he says, "THEY THOUGHT I WAS SERIOUS!"

Man, as a big fan of all his previous movies, I am now going to pretend that The Happening was purely a joke.  And I'm glad to read that someone else out there caught on the Shyamalan's big prank on all the movie goers.
This is what someone in shock sounds like  ;D

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 01:35:34 PM »
Don't see all this funny and ridiculous things you said.Surely it is not one of the scariest or creepiest movies I've seen (like Rec,just for example),but this is really ok for me.I was expecting a b-movie made by Shyamalan and I had a b-movie made by Shyamalan.
Oh,as for the dialogues...yes,sometimes they sounded a little strange,but who cares?I mean,when a movie has that kind of style,I don't mind anything else! ;)
"Welcome to The Cove"