Tell me i'm not the only one who sees this *spoilers*

Author Topic: Tell me i'm not the only one who sees this *spoilers*  (Read 9254 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: Tell me i'm not the only one who sees this *spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 03:00:55 PM »
I didn't think it was that bad, the actors were great, and the lines sounded like normal people speaking.  I don't think he meant it as a comedy, it wasn't a joke, it was a movie.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Miles

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 03:03:38 PM »
I didn't think it was that bad, the actors were great, and the lines sounded like normal people speaking.  I don't think he meant it as a comedy, it wasn't a joke, it was a movie.

I agree. Some of the lines are meant to be cheesy, to give it the B-Movie feel. (see Elliot saying "Youre not just gonna.." as the guy drives off haha). But this movie is not meant to be a comedy. And I liked the acting in it as well. I really like Mark and Zooey.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 08:09:45 PM »
I liked how he delved into how people were reacting to the crisis.  People weren't stopping to pick up other people, they just left.  But then the one couple came buy and offered them a ride, which was great.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 10:50:25 AM »
I laughed more than I cried, I cried when Julian dies and Mark is sitting on the corner of the street.  I got really emotional at the end when movie finished and I wanted to experience the people's reaction in Paris.

I laughed about the 'scene' when Elliot lies about the pharmacist he met.

Mrs.Jones was funny, yet freaky old lady. The second window bashing was 100% priceless, funny and scary... I love it.

M.Night done many things intentionaly. The guy knows what he wants to do and write.

WOW!!!,,,,

GothMan

• The Happening

• Personal Text
    You should close your eyes to see the Truth.
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 04:20:47 PM »
I've just come home from the cinema and thinking the same thing: this movie is full of IRONY! Brilliant!  ;D
"A common misperception of me is... That all my movies have twist endings, or that they're all scary. All my movies are spiritual and all have an emotional perspective." (M. Night Shyamalan)

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 04:33:57 PM »
I think the movie was funny, but was not at all a comedy.  The funny moments helped to lighten the mood, and they were funny, but how could you laugh when people are dying?

This is how I feel about the movie too. It's meant to make you laugh in numerous parts but it is usually in moments meant to break some tension and lighten the mood. The movie is still meant to scare audiences.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 11:51:53 PM »
Maybe Shyamalan got a whiff of the green effect..stopped..began walking backwards, and then wrote the happening bwahahaha jk

That thing about the microphones tho really killed the feel of the movie..i mean they are just drifting further and further into the shots lmao and catching the light and everything ahaha. there was also a camera shade in one of the big scenes..the close-up on wahlberg in the field when the other group is all killing themselves u can see the shade on the top of the camera right over his head.

yeah as a serious "movie" it really sucked, but the underlying themes he was trying to present were ok, if not well-done. I think the comedic aspect was one of the best parts tho. Like talking to the plastic tree, ahahaha totally roped me in.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 01:41:18 PM »
I'm very glad I didn't notice all these microphones and other things like that...
Actually I can't see all these stuff you say in any of his movies,because I focus completely on the plot ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 01:49:35 PM by marco »
"Welcome to The Cove"

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 09:17:18 PM »
I feel sorry for people who go to a shyamalan movie and only focus on the plot.. that's usually the weakest point for his films. I like the music, the (usually) beautiful cinematography, the hidden messages, underlying themes, commentary on the human condition, and stuff that only educated people will appreciate; like the significance of names and colors and angles and lines and shadows etc.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 10:42:04 PM »
I feel sorry for people who go to a shyamalan movie and only focus on the plot.. that's usually the weakest point for his films. I like the music, the (usually) beautiful cinematography, the hidden messages, underlying themes, commentary on the human condition, and stuff that only educated people will appreciate; like the significance of names and colors and angles and lines and shadows etc.

You feel sorry for people?  We all have some strange opinions 'round here, lol.  It's too bad not everyone can be as educated as you to understand such complex things.   If only we were as intelligent, then we could all look down on people in the same way as you.  Till then, the rest of us will just have to accept that, being the dullards that we are, we won't be able to enjoy things at such a sophisticated level as you.  Poor us.

Where's that guy who was calling people out for being on a high horse when you need 'em.

spikeshinizle

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 09:18:54 AM »
I've gotta agree with okokokok.  What's with the elitist attitude Namaste?

Most of us actually do pay attention to the elements you described.  However, if someone is simply watching the movie for the plot, then I think that's totally fine.  Isn't that what movies are made for in the first place?

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 02:07:32 PM »
Just cause I feel sorry for someone, doesnt mean I look down on them. I'm just sorry they are missing out on the best parts of Shyamalan's movies. His movies were not intended for people who "just pay attention to the plot". But hey if you enjoy it that way, then good for you. I bow before the divine in you. Did not mean to offend.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 07:22:08 PM »
Just cause I feel sorry for someone, doesnt mean I look down on them.

Well, there was also that bit about only educated people being able to appreciate such things also.  Those elements you listed aren't there for educated people.  They aren't supposed to be separate from the movie, but rather to make the story stronger, without taking precedence.  And just because someone can't articulate something that specifically affected them during the movie (the use of a certain color, the angle and perspective of a certain camera placement, etc. etc....), that does not mean that they did not see it or appreciate it.

That being said, the projectionist not matting for the correct aspect ratio, thus the audience seeing part of the image projected on the floor and the ceiling and seeing the occasional mic was very distracting to me as well.

spikeshinizle

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 08:41:56 PM »
His movies were not intended for people who "just pay attention to the plot". But hey if you enjoy it that way, then good for you. I bow before the divine in you. Did not mean to offend.

His movies are totally intended for people who 'just pay attention to the plot', he's a story teller first and foremost.  Like okokokok said, those elements are put in place to add depth to the story, which is why the plot is so important.
To assume that people are less educated than you simply because they focus on the plot and don't discuss the film making elements is pretty rude.  I'm sure the aim of most film makers is to draw people into the world of the film, to create characters you believe in and to engage you emotionally with a story.  If you can spot a nicely framed shot, then that's awesome.
Also, I never said I only watch a film for it's plot, that was an assumption on your part.  I love studying films and taking apart all of the layers, but that doesn't mean I can't just sit back and enjoy the story.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 08:45:57 PM by spikeshinizle »

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 10:35:50 PM »
number one, I don't look down on anyone just because they are not educated.
number two, the intentions behind the extras may well be to enhance the plot, but there are usually major flaws in the logic of the plots in shyamalan movies; so I tend to give the other things more precedence. (like I said earlier, if you like the plot, then good for you. enjoy it.)
Number three, I agree Shyamalan is a master story teller. He just isn't usually telling the story most people think he is telling when they watch his movies.
Number four, I never called anyone on this forum anything, I didn't address anyone personally. I was speaking in general.
Number five, I didn't assume anyone was less educated for any reason. I meant that there are some things people won't appreciate if they don't have a little background in at least some kind of visual art study whether formal or informal.

I think if shyamalan focuses more on the understory than making a cohesive plot, then why shouldn't I?