A message from GOD

Author Topic: A message from GOD  (Read 11754 times)

MrStone

• LITW

Re: A message from GOD
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 09:56:01 PM »
So far, this discussion is turning out pretty good.  Let's not let it become a religious debate.

What we know of Night is that he is from India, and went to a Roman Catholic private school.  But that's all that we know.

On another note, I think that its very interesting that he went to a Roman Catholic private school being from India.  But being that his parents were wealthy doctors, it could have been for the quality of education.  Who knows?  Its all speculation.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 10:29:35 PM »
I don't think it was turning into a religious debate.  That wasn't my intention either, so it's all good.

Mr. Stone, the thing is, as a writer, this is the perfect chance to bury an idea in the subtext.  I am surprised you don't see that opportunity considering you are also a writer.  Imagine he is writing this script.  And he decides that the "happening" is just a short cycle of nature, which is what happens. So he decides that it has a start time and an end time.  So the options are pick a random time that adds nothing to the story, or maybe we could give the times some sort of significance.  I am not saying that he made a start or end time just to get a bible verse in there, but rather, if M Night feels that a start and stop time is necessary function of the story, why not give it a bit more meaning then just random numbers.  It's just layering.  It's seems like a very typical situation to layer the subtext, in my opinion.  That being said, I am not saying I think that those numbers necessarily relate to the bible.

Lifeordeath1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 10:59:44 PM »
Wow!  Very interesting points on this new thread!  Good stuff!  I want to comment on a lot, but right now just the video game aspect.  I too was focussing on the video games, but when I couldnt make out what they were, I gave up, because I didnt want to be distracted from the movie itself.  So.... it was GTA?  What were the others?  There was a lot going on in that one shot with the television, to much to take in!  I COUDLNT HANDLE IT!  :)
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 11:00:55 PM »
I don't think it was turning into a religious debate.  That wasn't my intention either, so it's all good.

Mr. Stone, the thing is, as a writer, this is the perfect chance to bury an idea in the subtext.  I am surprised you don't see that opportunity considering you are also a writer.  Imagine he is writing this script.  And he decides that the "happening" is just a short cycle of nature, which is what happens. So he decides that it has a start time and an end time.  So the options are pick a random time that adds nothing to the story, or maybe we could give the times some sort of significance.  I am not saying that he made a start or end time just to get a bible verse in there, but rather, if M Night feels that a start and stop time is necessary function of the story, why not give it a bit more meaning then just random numbers.  It's just layering.  It's seems like a very typical situation to layer the subtext, in my opinion.  That being said, I am not saying I think that those numbers necessarily relate to the bible.

Sure, i see the possibility that those numbers have meaning, and I feel that they probably do not correspond to any religious text.  however, i just cannot figure out what it would be.  another perspective might be gained from reading the original script - which doesn't have alot of the same things.

in the original script there was a subtext that nature could sense love in people's heart..which is why Elliot and Alma survive the wind...love also being the color green on the mood ring - "THE GREEN EFFECT"...also in the original script there were several different times given where people left their homes to see that the event had stopped "happening"...

so..things may have changed.

Kable

• Signs

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 11:07:28 PM »
It?s just the oposite in my opinion. Sorry to desagree.

The happening is the first of his movies not bringing a religious theme. This movie is more a statment. Killing the nature is the same of comiting suicide. Thats what he?s showing us.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 11:22:02 PM »
The happening is the first of his movies not bringing a religious theme.

Technically, M Night himself has stated his movies are more about faith then religion.  He also said this movie is first and foremost a b-movie, and it was not to have themes be at the forefront of the movie.

Mr Stone, we agree then for the most part.  I just didn't think it was a ridiculous idea is all.  On a side note,  I remembered you mentioning the idea of how Elliot and Alma survived in the original script, because of their love, and I was thinking that it was maybe still in the subtext of the movie.  I was trying to figure what time everything happens at the end.  That is, the newscast that says when it ends, and the title card that says when Elliot and Alma walk outside to be with each other.  I thought the title card actually said a time that was before the happening had ended, in which case it would imply that there was another reason they survived, which then it leaves it open for discussion on why they survived, which could have been love.  But I haven't seen it again to see what those times were.  Do you have any idea?

Reflection

• Unbreakable

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 01:45:26 AM »
I would say a "spiritual" aspect of it would be "the wind" itself..

I'm wondering why the wind thing is "so hard" for some to "buy". Look at something like Something Wicked this way Comes, the wind blew the evil into town, or Chocolat, the woman HAD to move when the wind blew, there was a Northern Exposure where the wind was blowing and random bad things were happening to people (Marilyn kept saying "the wind is bad"), so the whole the wind is silly thing, is silly to me itself.

But, how could the wind be linked to something "spiritual" do you ask... Humm.....

Let's think for just a minute about what his next project might be... Hummm...

A story about a lil boy who harvests the power of the wind and uses it for good?

Well, wind, water and earth.. Three of the elements of which religion?

( oh man, good thought, M should get The Fifth Element to do a voice in the next one) :) that's a sweet one!!

(she'd do it , she needs the work) (and she just had a lil one and will be into the whole thing)

(that's a killer idea)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 01:47:30 AM by Reflection »

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 10:44:51 AM »
I think you all fail to see and appreciate the true beauty and importance of M. Night's films.

Nature/Plants = GOD

Do you remember when the attack in the film started....?

Well, it was 8:32.

Do you remember when it ended?

It was 9:27.

Google "8:32" or "9:27" and your top hit is a reference from the bible.

A message from GOD. Delivered from the profet M. Night Shyamalan.

Wow, I am impressed. Every single time you watch a movie by M.Night I get to learn something new from it.

I am impressed.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »
Lol! Night is a great filmmaker...But he ain't no prophet. Lol. But I do believe this film had religious undertones.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 03:43:35 PM »
Lol! Night is a great filmmaker...But he ain't no prophet. Lol. But I do believe this film had religious undertones.

I agree.

courier

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 03:48:04 PM »
But, how could the wind be linked to something "spiritual" do you ask...

Let's see...

?The term "Spirit" translates the Hebrew word ruah, which, in its primary sense, means breath, air, wind. Jesus indeed uses the sensory image of the wind to suggest to Nicodemus the transcendent newness of him who is personally God's breath, the divine Spirit." (Jn 3:5-8.)?
[...]
The phrase "spirit of God" is reasonably rendered "Breath of God" or "Wind of God."
http://www.adishakti.org/_/term_spirit_translates_the_hebrew.htm

According to Hinduism there are seven major energy centers working through the body. They are called chakras. Green is the color associated with the central chakra, the heart chakra, chakra of love...

BN

• Unbreakable

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 04:18:04 PM »
So far, this discussion is turning out pretty good.  Let's not let it become a religious debate.

What we know of Night is that he is from India, and went to a Roman Catholic private school.  But that's all that we know.

On another note, I think that its very interesting that he went to a Roman Catholic private school being from India.  But being that his parents were wealthy doctors, it could have been for the quality of education.  Who knows?  Its all speculation.

I realize this is a side discussion, but there are several Catholic schools in India. My education till high school was in one and it was one of the best schools in the area. The thing to note was that whereas there was a lot of discipline (yes ruler to the knuckles and kneel-downs for an hour), at no point was religion and especially Christianity taught in my school. We knew our principal was a priest and some teachers were nuns but they did not teach us Christianity more so than they did any other religion. I am happy and proud of having been taught in that environment by those teachers and believe a lot of my outlook to life was shaped in that school (I am a Hindu, btw).

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 08:26:42 PM »
Did anyone else noticed the "model home" everything was fake.

Rohan

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 09:19:47 PM »
The happening is the first of his movies not bringing a religious theme.

Technically, M Night himself has stated his movies are more about faith then religion.  He also said this movie is first and foremost a b-movie, and it was not to have themes be at the forefront of the movie.

Mr Stone, we agree then for the most part.  I just didn't think it was a ridiculous idea is all.  On a side note,  I remembered you mentioning the idea of how Elliot and Alma survived in the original script, because of their love, and I was thinking that it was maybe still in the subtext of the movie.  I was trying to figure what time everything happens at the end.  That is, the newscast that says when it ends, and the title card that says when Elliot and Alma walk outside to be with each other.  I thought the title card actually said a time that was before the happening had ended, in which case it would imply that there was another reason they survived, which then it leaves it open for discussion on why they survived, which could have been love.  But I haven't seen it again to see what those times were.  Do you have any idea?

well, in the original script - there are numerous factors of why plants are killing people.  the toxin is released when its triggered.  so it begins with the major cities, hence the evacuation, then it moves to the roads and traffic...then it moves to larger groups of people, then it moves to the fact that plants can sense mood (something that wasn't conveyed in the movie well) - and it was at this point that the plants could sense the hatred inside the old woman, and released the toxin...but elliot and alma had love in their hearts - and the toxin wasn't 'made' for them..

thats how i understood it when i read the script.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »
well, in the original script - there are numerous factors of why plants are killing people.  the toxin is released when its triggered.  so it begins with the major cities, hence the evacuation, then it moves to the roads and traffic...then it moves to larger groups of people, then it moves to the fact that plants can sense mood (something that wasn't conveyed in the movie well) - and it was at this point that the plants could sense the hatred inside the old woman, and released the toxin...but elliot and alma had love in their hearts - and the toxin wasn't 'made' for them..

thats how i understood it when i read the script.

That is interesting, because I thought that might be the case when those people started killing themselves in the field, when the soldier starts spouting off some training mantra about his gun(that part was awesome), that group of people is very specifically arguing with one another.  So as soon as the woman started to kill herself at the end, after going crazy on Elliot, I really started wondering about the idea the the plants could sense anger.  And when Elliot and Alma walked out and were fine, after having that discussion about forgetting what color love was (I am remembering correctly right?), I was thinking that the plants could possibly sense emotion.  But then that title card came up and the newscast said a time and I was immediately confused, which is why I wanna know those times!  I am going to see it again soon.  I feel like I can't say much till then.