M. Night Shame-alan

Author Topic: M. Night Shame-alan  (Read 12711 times)

dan_arbro

• Wide Awake

• http://dan-arbro.deviantart.com/
    • Email
M. Night Shame-alan
« on: June 15, 2008, 05:08:44 PM »
I've never anticipated a film more than this one. It would mark the first M. Night film i'd see in theatres... I LOVE ...I mean... LOVE his films. Here is a review I wrote on my facebook for my friends. Tell me what you think. Try not to tear me to shreds... but this is honestly what I thought and I think I'm the only person who thinks this way too...

Warning. This Rant contains spoilers. If you haven't seen the movie and wish to see it don't continue reading.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the writer and direction from, the Sixth Sense, Signs, The Village, Unbreakable, and Lady in the Water, comes

THE HAPPENING ? and let me tell you? it wasn?t happenin? at all. Most of M. Night?s films have mixed reactions when it comes to his fans. Most enjoyed the Sixth Sense. Most disliked the end of Signs. Most had mixed views of Unbreakable and the end of the Village. Of course there is the matter of Lady in the Water? where most loathed, Daniel loved. I can be biased in saying that I loved Lady in the Water for the social change/religious subtext, but I too understand that the story itself isn?t the greatest. It?s the meaning behind the story a lot of people fall short of seeing.

However, my blind geeky fandom of M. Night Shyamalan and his writing came to a complete halt when I saw ?The Happening? on Friday the 13th. Perhaps the superstition behind the date itself should have been clue enough as to how bad of a movie this was.

The disturbing suicides were the only good part of this movie. The plot reaches a terribly planned climax, and the story itself gets no where. It?s very circular. The crazy lady was pretty scary?but I fail to see the point? The entire point of the film is that we?d better stop hurting the environment?or it will make a spore to make us kill ourselves. Definitely not one of this stronger driving forces in film.

I mean, the Sixth Sense was packed with emotion, mystery, and suspense driving very compelling characters foreword to the climax of the film. Signs followed suit. Unbreakable followed suit. The Village followed suit with amazing cinematography, packed with emotion, mystery, and suspense driving very compelling characters foreword as the others did. The Village also combined with one of James Newton Howard?s best musical scores drove this film home regardless of the ending people had mixed feelings on. Even Lady in the Water had its crowning achievements through Subtext, Amazing Acting, Another amazing score by Howard, and child friendly audience target.

However, the Happening does nothing to win audiences over besides show disturbing images of suicides/gore? which has been done?many times. Saw I,II,III,IV should be PROOF ENOUGH. No one wants to see another lowbrow-common- horror film that has no meaning whatsoever besides ?helping the environment? ? GAY.

Marky Mark Walburg has to have done his worst acting job in this film, followed close second by Zooey Deschanel who?s acting never spun my wheels? Elf has to be her best film? or Almost Famous? but even then?. ?Ehhhhh?.

What was M. Night Thinking? As my friend Michael plainly puts it ?The ENVIRONMENT? They?re running from the WIND? Does anyone see how LAME that is??

what Michael says sums up the movie folks. No surprise ending, no twists, no real scarry threat, just plants trying to kill you using spores. In my opinion it makes a better idea on paper, but I think Night has lost it.

BEING PRODUCED BY FOX SHOULD HAVE BEEN ANOTHER CLUE.

From ruining his reputation with Disney, (which was a cool move on his part, but in the long run foolish for his career), he went to Warner brothers. Alan Horn was cool enough to produce Lady in the Water and it in the end made *some* money. Not enough however to keep Night in Horn?s good books.

The one saving grace of this movie was probably the comedy. If it was marketed as a comedy where Night mocks the making of horror films it might have done better, however, I don?t think he can use that cop out. Its definitely one of the most Hitchcock inspired films. The movie wasn?t so much about the horror or ?scariness? of the Sixth Sense, it was more the curiosity of the ?event? like in Signs that this movie takes on.

The disturbing nature of suicide is the star of this film? and somehow I doubt that will win many over. He must think audiences are getting really stupid because if you know what this movie is about going into the film, you?re going to be snuff out of luck. Don?t let spoilers spoil it for you, the trailers do just that.

I?ve never been more let down?. Oh wait, yes I have. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is STILL worse. But in the end both movies achieve the same thing ? they fall one fry short of a happy meal.
"...your book will be the seeds of many of his great thoughts. They will be the seeds of change. "

okokokok

• LITW

Re: M. Night Shame-alan
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 05:30:42 PM »
.. but this is honestly what I thought and I think I'm the only person who thinks this way too...

Lol.  Did you read anyones review here or elsewhere?  More seem to feel as you do then not.  Everything you said seems legitimate to me,  except how you use the term "gay" in reference to something you didn't like.  I'm going to guess your age, but I will keep it to myself. (Of course, I have heard some adults use that term alos, so I am probably way off.)

The one saving grace of this movie was probably the comedy. If it was marketed as a comedy where Night mocks the making of horror films it might have done better, however, I don?t think he can use that cop out

I am confused here.  Are you saying it would have been better for you, or better for the reception of others?  I am getting confused between what you are saying for yourself and what you are saying for others.  And in reference to the 'cop out'  remark,  are you commenting on interviews he has done, or are commenting on what others here have suggested about the comedy in the film and it's b-movie roots?

EDIT:
Also, why is it that you needed to start a whole new thread for your review? 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 05:32:44 PM by okokokok »

DANtheFREAK

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 07:53:31 PM »
where do you get that we are supposed to help the environment from this movie. i think ALOT of people completely missed the point of this movie. it has nothing to do with helping the environment it has to do with society helping or i should say changing our ways. Did you not pick up the hints in the film like newspaper headline that read Murderdelphia, the billboard that says we deserve this, or the violent video game product placement at the end.

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 08:00:02 PM »
I agree with DANtheFreak.  He makes a good point.  It is about society, how we treat ourselves and the place we live in, and the consequences.  People haven't learned, what you see in the preview isn't entirely what the movie is about, he always has dramatic and romantinc subplots which drive the movie and are the main force of the movie, maybe he should try marketing them as drama.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
I agree with the last 2 posts, in that I don't think the main theme and idea of this film is some kind of "save the environment" plea.  And I agree that is more about, but not entirely, looking at how you are as a person in this world as it pertains to how we relate to one another and the planet.   But I think that anyone who thinks there isn't any ecological theme at all is being just as narrow in their view.  Some examples: the very obvious placement of the power plant behind the hot dog dudes house(it obviously didn't have to be there) and the shot that tilts down when the car backs up over the plants and peels out on them.  Those 2 things seemed deliberate to me.  There are many themes in this movie I think, as there are in a lot of movies.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 11:11:21 PM »
Agreed with some of the other posts.  Why start a new thread for just your review?  2nd, I believe the movie is more about love.  I am sorry you didnt like it.  I am going to have to see it again because there was so to much to take in, in one viewing. 

I do have to agree with you on Walberg's acting though, it def. wasnt his best.
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 01:52:35 PM »
While I agree with most of your points, it seems as though your "review" is more of a vent. Lol. I think you should have focused a bit more.

dan_arbro

• Wide Awake

• http://dan-arbro.deviantart.com/
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 10:34:43 PM »
The only point to me from most of the posts you people made just completely turned me off of ever posting here again. You people are all very rude. I hope you report this statement to the admin. I've never been so unwelcomed.
"...your book will be the seeds of many of his great thoughts. They will be the seeds of change. "

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 11:02:35 PM »
Well, when you start a thread titled "Shame-alan", and then go on a virtiolic diatribe about things on a FAN-based message board, what can you expect.  I think that while you're intentions were good, your colorful word choice and overall tone was definitely something lacking tact and irritated the posters above me.  So, while I'm sorry your feelings are hurt, you should have seen this coming.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 11:21:03 PM »
Wow, I am kinda shocked.  The guy who uses the term "gay" to describe something as bad, and makes a whole new post for his review instead of posting in one of the multiple reviews threads called us rude.  Anyways, I did say one rude thing, so I a apologize.  But wow, there has been a lot worse said here I think, lol

Reflection

• Unbreakable

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 07:55:51 PM »
The only point to me from most of the posts you people made just completely turned me off of ever posting here again. You people are all very rude. I hope you report this statement to the admin. I've never been so unwelcome

I'm sure a lot of people feel that way and don't say anything, no matter what type of review they might or might not give a movie. A global opening and 2 or 3 members on at a time, I think that speaks for itself.

I talk in silly riddles and could possibly be insane!?! But I came here to get stoked about seeing the new movie, but after my visits, I haven't even seen it yet and will probably wait for it to come on tv. I'm sure that's what the board and site are all about huh.

Nice not talking to anyone, but I still wish everyone a great day and a wonderful life. Maybe I'll visit the new site "IF/when" it opens.

Sri HK

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 08:04:08 PM »
 ??? :o
What you see isn't always what u get.

the_sorcerer

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 08:13:12 PM »
The only point to me from most of the posts you people made just completely turned me off of ever posting here again. You people are all very rude. I hope you report this statement to the admin. I've never been so unwelcomed.

ok, are you serious?! come on man, its not the end of the world that people didn't agree with your review.
Damn! If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima have to put ma dick in tha mashed potatas!

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 08:18:15 PM »
  ??? :o

Exactly, lol.

I talk in silly riddles and could possibly be insane!?! But I came here to get stoked about seeing the new movie, but after my visits, I haven't even seen it yet and will probably wait for it to come on tv. I'm sure that's what the board and site are all about huh.

So seeing, or not seeing, a movie that you want to see is contingent on what other people are doing or saying? ok.  Loud and clear.

JWMMakerofMusic

• Wide Awake

Gay is okay!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 10:30:57 PM »
I'm straight, but I have friends who are of the LGBT community, so I'm just going to say what everyone else is probably already thinking.  :) You say 'gay' like it's a bad thing and then have the audacity to call everyone else 'rude'?  :o If being gay was so bad, why did California legalize gay marriage, hmmm? ::) Such a random slur coming from someone in their 20s.  Grow up mate.  You'll find that maturity is a lot more fun! 8)
1. Sixth Sense
2. Lady in the Water
3. Unbreakable
4. The Village
5. Signs