62 Million worldwide!

Author Topic: 62 Million worldwide!  (Read 42998 times)

generalcobra

• LITW

62 Million worldwide!
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:12:51 PM »
Very good it exceeded all expectations and instead of a silly 18 million opening it got a 30 million opening!

30 million more domestically and it will be a true financial success.

Once it reaches 100 million domestically it will be his come back not critically but financially

Rulm

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Twitter
Re: 62 Million worldwide!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 01:40:34 PM »
Honestly, I'm shocked beyond belief. How the hell did this film make so much money!!!??? LOL!!! Most people don't seem to really like it, to say the least, and word of mouth isn't going it's way. Man, how the universe works, eh? Lol.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »
Honestly, I'm shocked beyond belief. How the hell did this film make so much money!!!??? LOL!!! Most people don't seem to really like it, to say the least, and word of mouth isn't going it's way. Man, how the universe works, eh? Lol.

Rulm, I have one thing and one thing only to tell you.  ;D
:
:
:
:
Its Really The Happening  :o

BN

• Unbreakable

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »

Rulm, I am not so sure about this talk of bad word-of-mouth. Wasn't the advance buzz supposed to be really bad, with the phantom 'tracking/awareness' numbers being the pits ? Yet the movie did well in its opening weekend. Which proved these metrics to be quite useless in this context.

I think our perceptions about audience reactions are learned from the boards on the internet which represent a miniscule and insignificant portion (me included) of the movie-going public.

Kable

• Signs

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 05:41:59 PM »

:
:
:
:

hahahahahaha. Love this answer! ;D ;D ;D

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 06:26:29 PM »
One thing I have been wondering, though, is what general audiences thought of the movie. Not us fans, not the uber-haters, but ordinary "hey this looks interesting" moviegoers.  Because ultimately, I have always felt that word of mouth is stronger than any critic's review.  And what those people think will most likely influence how this movie is going to do in the following weeks.

On a side note, according to the front page, Night got an 8 figure salary for this movie?  Damn!  Fox must have had a lot of faith in him and the script.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:32:10 PM by Wags »

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 08:04:17 PM »

:
:
:
:
LOL! That's the only explanation I could think of! Lol.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 08:45:39 PM »
One thing I have been wondering, though, is what general audiences thought of the movie. Not us fans, not the uber-haters, but ordinary "hey this looks interesting" moviegoers.  Because ultimately, I have always felt that word of mouth is stronger than any critic's review.  And what those people think will most likely influence how this movie is going to do in the following weeks.

On a side note, according to the front page, Night got an 8 figure salary for this movie?  Damn!  Fox must have had a lot of faith in him and the script.

The word of mouth is spreading. Lot of people have mixed reaction in our work. They are thinking what if it makes people to commit suicide too, just like PASSION made lot of people turn to christianity.

By the way, how is THE HAPPENING doing now?

Rohan

Sri HK

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 08:40:12 PM »
Daily Chart - Monday, June 16
            Movie                               Gross      % Change   Theaters   Total Gross        Days
    1    (1)    The Incredible Hulk    $6,010,405           -61.38%    3,505    $61,424,455    4
    2    (2)    Kung Fu Panda            $4,160,775         -60.55%    4,136    $121,450,707    11
            3    (3)    The Happening            $3,131,387     -55.82%    2,986    $33,648,496     4

http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/today.php
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 08:43:38 PM by Sri HK »
What you see isn't always what u get.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 09:46:40 PM »
Whats the total gross from the first day of its release. Anyone?

Sri HK

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 09:54:27 PM »
13 million.
What you see isn't always what u get.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 11:19:56 PM »
Daily Chart - Monday, June 16
            Movie                               Gross      % Change   Theaters   Total Gross        Days
    1    (1)    The Incredible Hulk    $6,010,405           -61.38%    3,505    $61,424,455    4
    2    (2)    Kung Fu Panda            $4,160,775         -60.55%    4,136    $121,450,707    11
            3    (3)    The Happening            $3,131,387     -55.82%    2,986    $33,648,496     4

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 11:28:03 PM »
I was just wondering: what are the odds that both Fox and UTV will get all their money back?  I mean, yeah the production budget was around 60 mil, but what about marketing and all that?  What are the chances that this film will get them their money back and also turn a profit.  I'm not too sure how the "biz" works.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 11:58:38 PM »
In most cases of a film this size, the marketing and distribution budgets never exceed the production budget. The Village had a marketing budget estimated around $40 million, so to be a bit liberal - let's say The Happening cost $57 million to produce and $50 million to market and distribute. That means for Fox and UTV to break even, they need a worldwide take of $107 million - and given all current indicators, The Happening should reach that point in the next week or two.

Then you have DVD sales, DVD rentals, and TV rights. Of course there will be some new costs involved with some of that stuff, but very minimal compared to the money that stuff will bring in. I think we can ballpark rental gross for The Happening in the $35 million range, with DVD sales matching. Then TV rights could be sold anywhere from $5 million to $12 million maybe.

20th Century Fox, UTV Motion Pictures, and Shyamalan will be seeing profit on this, have no doubt.  ;)

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 10:59:12 AM »
The Village was not a bomb. It was a world-wide hit despite the mixed reception it got.