Your favorite part of the movie?

Author Topic: Your favorite part of the movie?  (Read 3856 times)

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
Your favorite part of the movie?
« on: June 16, 2008, 02:33:07 AM »
It's going to sound a little corny, but my favorite part was definitely at the end when Alma found out she was pregnant and told Elliot. I don't know. I'm sort of a sucker for stuff like that.  :-\

What about you guys? What was your favorite part?

spikeshinizle

• The Sixth Sense

Re: Your favorite part of the movie?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 04:14:48 AM »
While I was let down by most of the movie, I felt that the scene were Jess approaches Elliot on the side of the road was pretty touching.  It felt like classic Shyamalan.  The music was really nice and the shot itself was beautifully framed.

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 05:05:29 AM »
I was shoked at the beginning, when the workers fall from the building. the sound of the bodies falling on the floor was incredible, and the reaction of their boss, he can't believe what's happening. It was a really good scene.
But my favourite part was at the old woman's house, I'll need to see one more time the film to catch all the meaning of that scene.
Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

joecartoon131

• Wide Awake

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 06:37:47 AM »
I still have yet to see it a second time (definately next weekend), but the part that I really liked - and has stuck with me - was Elliot's interaction with Alma just before approaching the farmhouse, where he spoke playfully smug about the pharmacist and buying a bottle of expensive cough syrup just to talk to her and he didn't even have a cough. That moment when she asks if he was kidding and he hurtfully nodded was sweet because it was letting Alma know how insignificant he thought of her having dinner (and tiramisu) with Joey was when she had felt horrible about it all the way through the film up to that point. It was saying "It was no big deal" and "I love you" without saying it.
Fate Won't Let You Hide Forever

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 10:43:33 AM »
I love the shot when workers are falling from the roof and also when Mrs.Jones beating her head behind the wall. And Mr.Glass I was right about who is hitting the walls....   I know it wasn't exactly what I predicted, but I was right it should be human...beating heads....

Rohan

Novelie

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 01:05:53 PM »
my favorite one, was in the jeep when Julian (John leguizamo) sees all the dead hung and then they rush to stop the holes in the car with t-shirt and the screaming girl making the scene so Duckin intense. I like that one alot...
ww.myspace.com/naomiband

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 01:30:53 PM »
Well, the movie disappointed me in just about every way, but I did have a favorite part...It's gonna' sound weird, but it was actually the beginning credits. Of the entire movie, watching those clouds swirl around and get darker creeped the hell out of me...The rest of the movie failed to give me the same feelings I had watching those clouds.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 11:34:44 PM »
I relaly liked the side of the road shot as well!  The scene that scared me the most was the house where the kid was trying to kick the door in!  YIKES!

This movie had its own unique shots this time around, I really liked all the close ups of peoples heads!  That was very cool!  I also like how the shotgun was framed when it was shoved out the door and shot that kid!  Was that shot at a different frame rate, or was it just my shock value setting in?  It seemed like a different speed to me.
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:39:44 PM »
I had a lot of favorite parts (i'm gonna list 3): Spoilers (duh)

1. When Julian asks Elliot and Alma to take care of Jess.  There is just so much more going on in this scene than that: a father saying goodbye to his daughter, and three friends knowing that one of them will most likely not be coming back.  And the "dont take my daughter's hand" part...wow.

2. Elliot walking out in the wind to Alma and Jess.  The combo of music and visual was excellent.  There is that one shot in particular: the closeup of Elliot, and he closes his eyes as the wind blows over him.  and then the climax of the song when he and Alma walk to each other.

3. The end, when we find out Alma is pregnant.  Just something about it, when she is smiling and waiting for Elliot to come back home.  It made me smile both times I saw it.  I guess I'm a sucker too.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 07:28:41 AM »
@Wags: the 2nd scene you said is definitely one of my favourite too ;)

-SPOILERS-
I also loved each scene where you see people's first symptoms caused by the toxin,when everybody suddenly stopped,started speaking confusely and ESPECIALLY when they began to walk backwards...I mean,that was incredibly crazy,but also incredibly cool to see!!!Never seen a thing like that in any other movie before :o
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:30:32 AM by marco »
"Welcome to The Cove"

the_sorcerer

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 10:30:35 AM »
All I have to say is that the whole jeep scene (starting from the gardeners hanging in the trees) is about the scariest thing I've ever seen! haha movies don't normally get to me anymore, but GOOD GOD....I had no idea what was going to happen!
Damn! If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima have to put ma dick in tha mashed potatas!

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »
Hard to say what my favorite part was....  I'll probably have to watch it again to solidify any single scene.  However, I did really like the part wher Elliot and Alma meet out in the wind-blown field.  I always love the emotionally powerful parts of Shyamalan's movies.
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 07:00:47 PM »
i have three favorites. and unlike some of you absolutely adored this film. EVERYTHING about it was great.

1. when Julian parts ways with the group, and asks Alma to take care of his daughter.

2. the Mrs. Jones death. the entire thing was literally the most well done scene in a movie ive ever seen. I was in awe the entire time.

3. the end when they were in Paris and the guy looks back and reveals it happening again.

F**CKING AMAZING. THE ENTIRE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't listen to the nay sayers and critics, they SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. and if anyone disputes me. ill fight to the death son. just let me know.

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 10:04:15 AM »
Well, the movie disappointed me in just about every way, but I did have a favorite part...It's gonna' sound weird, but it was actually the beginning credits. Of the entire movie, watching those clouds swirl around and get darker creeped the hell out of me...The rest of the movie failed to give me the same feelings I had watching those clouds.

Agreed 100%

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 11:02:31 AM »

Agreed 100%

You should see my thread about my interpretation of this film.

As for my favorite parts of the film: Elliot telling the little girl about the mood ring to try and ease her tension and take her mind of things going on, likewise - when the math teacher John Leguizamo is in the car and trying to calm down the screaming girl because of the hanging bodies. I also LOVE the way he directed one of the early suicide scenes where the cop pulls out the gun, you don't see him shoot, then he falls to the ground - blood spurting out of his head, the man in the car behind him gets out, the frame is focused intently on the gun, you follow his feet approaching the gun, he lifts it - BAM!, then it drops, once again - the focus is on the gun - and the woman in the background approaches and you hear the shot while the movie cuts back to the rest of the characters on the train. I also am totally in shock still from when the people in the house they approach shoot the kids -  that scene is just unbelievably realistic to me and in a horrifying way. I honestly loved the part when they are on the train and it stops moving too. That scared me a lot both times. As for great comedic moments, I love when "Joey" (Mr. M. Night) calls and says "Hello?". The way she puts down the phone and watches it vibrate, debating over whether or not to answer it...  such a neurotic, strange character - that scene is totally classic. Another hillarious scene is the one where Elliot is talking to the plastic tree. That was so funny, really, I'm glad a scene existed in the movie (so much of it is REALLY dark that it needed some lighter scenes for the sake of the audience surviving this movie!).

Anyway, I really loved so much in it that it is hard to pick and choose my favorite parts. There are so many good moments, and so many great ones that just settling for one is not an option. 

EDIT: I was looking at some of the other comments and I have to say finding out that Alma was pregnant was a great moment that filled me with immense joy. I guess a lot of us here are total corn-balls, but I found it worked in a really good sentimental way. And OF COURSE one of my favorite parts of the movie is when Elliot and Alma are talking about the first time they met and what the color of love is through the pipe-lines. And when Elliot leaves the house, willing to face death, wanting nothing more than to be with Alma - that scene really gets to me the more I think about it - and upon my second viewing as well. It was really powerful.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:25:31 AM by GenPion »