Films > The Happening

Mood Ring Interpretation (SPOILERS!!!)

(1/5) > >>

Fangsz:
I just wanted to throw out the way I interpreted the end of the film to see if anyone shares my interpretation, but I'm obviously going to have to discuss the film's ending to do that, so if you haven't seen the film don't read the following:

I'm not sure if this will sound obvious or out there, but this was how I interpreted the film's ending on first viewing, and I think it's central to the entire message.  Elliot talks about the human organism giving off energy, and how that energy varies depending on a person's emotions, mood, state of mind, and that energy is supposedly picked up by his mood ring.  The guy with the plants explained how when one speaks to plants they can pick up on one's attitude, which is most likely due to that energy that Elliot refred to earlier.  At the end of the film, just before Elliot walks out into the deadly open air to be with his lover, he asks what color "love" was supposed to be on his mood ring.  They both walk out into the open, and are uneffected by the chemicals from the plants.  Was this because the danger had actually passed, as we hear Elliot conclude, or because he, Alma, and Jess were exhibiting a distinct energy signiture that was not antipathic to the plants' evolutionary defense mechanisms due to being associated with attempts to live in harmony with one's surroundings (and thus a defense mechanism against humans exhibiting that energy signiture would not provide a natural selection benefit), namely, the energy signiture we define as "love"? 

To me, this was the central point of the film.  The entire tone of the film seemed malevolent, distant, paranoid, seeking, searching essentially everything included within the fragmentation of fear inherent within the notion of a seperate self, specifically unattached to the "Nature" we see before us, but even within that omnipresent sense of ominous, "other," antipathic sentience, there is a simple shift that one can make to begin to dissolve the barriers that create all that isolation.

MrStone:
thats the exact idea that is conveyed in the original script.

Fangsz:
Really?  You mean the Green Effect script?  I never read that.  Is it possible he toned down the warm, overflowing love-type stuff present in Lady in the Water and other previous films to attract larger audiences (successfully so, based on international box office numbers) tricking many into thinking they're watching another dark hopeless horror film when they are actually watching a more "love conquers all" type of picture whose transcendent/inclusive images, ideas, and metaphors will later reoccur in their thoughts and begin to deconstruct their deconstructions?

MrStone:

--- Quote from: Fangsz on June 17, 2008, 11:05:16 PM ---Really?  You mean the Green Effect script?  I never read that.  Is it possible he toned down the warm, overflowing love-type stuff present in Lady in the Water and other previous films to attract larger audiences (successfully so, based on international box office numbers) tricking many into thinking they're watching another dark hopeless horror film when they are actually watching a more "love conquers all" type of picture whose transcendent/inclusive images, ideas, and metaphors will later reoccur in their thoughts and begin to deconstruct their deconstructions?

--- End quote ---

yes, that very script - well, i think that was his spiritual theme...was 'love'...i think studio negotiating and production notes kept him from being able to accomplish that this time.  i think this was the first time he worked with 20th Century Fox (if i'm not mistaken)...though he may have had more control, they tend to only want certain lengths on films - he may not have been allowed to go over the allotted 90 minutes...the script called for 106..

Namaste:
(by the way, this is my first post ever)
Yeah, the mood ring stuff is deep. I dont think ill watch it again in theaters, but it's definintely important to the underlying layers. I loved the village. It's my second favorite movie of all time (after Gattaca) and colors were a big big big part of that movie. Now taking into consideration, that fact plus the original title of The Happening I would dare to assume that the color for love on his mood ring is green. That the true "Green Effect" is, in fact, revealed to us only in the last 10 minutes of the film.

"The world moves for love. It kneels before it in awe."
-Mr. Walker; The Village

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version