Mood Ring Interpretation (SPOILERS!!!)

Author Topic: Mood Ring Interpretation (SPOILERS!!!)  (Read 12241 times)

Fangsz

• Praying with Anger

• Email
Mood Ring Interpretation (SPOILERS!!!)
« on: June 17, 2008, 10:28:43 PM »
I just wanted to throw out the way I interpreted the end of the film to see if anyone shares my interpretation, but I'm obviously going to have to discuss the film's ending to do that, so if you haven't seen the film don't read the following:

I'm not sure if this will sound obvious or out there, but this was how I interpreted the film's ending on first viewing, and I think it's central to the entire message.  Elliot talks about the human organism giving off energy, and how that energy varies depending on a person's emotions, mood, state of mind, and that energy is supposedly picked up by his mood ring.  The guy with the plants explained how when one speaks to plants they can pick up on one's attitude, which is most likely due to that energy that Elliot refred to earlier.  At the end of the film, just before Elliot walks out into the deadly open air to be with his lover, he asks what color "love" was supposed to be on his mood ring.  They both walk out into the open, and are uneffected by the chemicals from the plants.  Was this because the danger had actually passed, as we hear Elliot conclude, or because he, Alma, and Jess were exhibiting a distinct energy signiture that was not antipathic to the plants' evolutionary defense mechanisms due to being associated with attempts to live in harmony with one's surroundings (and thus a defense mechanism against humans exhibiting that energy signiture would not provide a natural selection benefit), namely, the energy signiture we define as "love"? 

To me, this was the central point of the film.  The entire tone of the film seemed malevolent, distant, paranoid, seeking, searching essentially everything included within the fragmentation of fear inherent within the notion of a seperate self, specifically unattached to the "Nature" we see before us, but even within that omnipresent sense of ominous, "other," antipathic sentience, there is a simple shift that one can make to begin to dissolve the barriers that create all that isolation.

MrStone

• LITW

Re: Mood Ring Interpretation (SPOILERS!!!)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 10:53:54 PM »
thats the exact idea that is conveyed in the original script.

Fangsz

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 11:05:16 PM »
Really?  You mean the Green Effect script?  I never read that.  Is it possible he toned down the warm, overflowing love-type stuff present in Lady in the Water and other previous films to attract larger audiences (successfully so, based on international box office numbers) tricking many into thinking they're watching another dark hopeless horror film when they are actually watching a more "love conquers all" type of picture whose transcendent/inclusive images, ideas, and metaphors will later reoccur in their thoughts and begin to deconstruct their deconstructions?

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 11:56:35 PM »
Really?  You mean the Green Effect script?  I never read that.  Is it possible he toned down the warm, overflowing love-type stuff present in Lady in the Water and other previous films to attract larger audiences (successfully so, based on international box office numbers) tricking many into thinking they're watching another dark hopeless horror film when they are actually watching a more "love conquers all" type of picture whose transcendent/inclusive images, ideas, and metaphors will later reoccur in their thoughts and begin to deconstruct their deconstructions?

yes, that very script - well, i think that was his spiritual theme...was 'love'...i think studio negotiating and production notes kept him from being able to accomplish that this time.  i think this was the first time he worked with 20th Century Fox (if i'm not mistaken)...though he may have had more control, they tend to only want certain lengths on films - he may not have been allowed to go over the allotted 90 minutes...the script called for 106..

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 12:08:02 AM »
(by the way, this is my first post ever)
Yeah, the mood ring stuff is deep. I dont think ill watch it again in theaters, but it's definintely important to the underlying layers. I loved the village. It's my second favorite movie of all time (after Gattaca) and colors were a big big big part of that movie. Now taking into consideration, that fact plus the original title of The Happening I would dare to assume that the color for love on his mood ring is green. That the true "Green Effect" is, in fact, revealed to us only in the last 10 minutes of the film.

"The world moves for love. It kneels before it in awe."
-Mr. Walker; The Village
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 03:22:05 AM »
Yeah, I have to say I agree with the mood ring element being a large part of what the core to this film is.

Honestly, upon watching this for a second time, I connected more with the characters (not that I didn't round one). All the elements, while some are new and different, really connect with me and this feels very much like Classic Shyamalan. I've honestly loved all of his films and this movie was not a disappointment at all.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
I see what you mean. It's sad that many of Night's ideas for this film got lost in it's jerky execution. Because I do believe it had some great ideas going for it. It was SCREAMING greatness...Unfortunately, it didn't reach it's potential.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 10:37:29 PM »
The Green Effect script ending was the part when Elliot walks to Alma and then he says the color of love is GREEN.

Rohan

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 07:50:28 AM »
i see what you guys are getting at with the whole love is the main element of the film (which i don't think was really conveyed in it's final edit).  but, i completely disagree with the idea that the two main characters of the film were not affected by the poison because they were giving off "love" energy.  this stuff kills everyone else it comes into contact with but they are the only pure ones?  what about julian who goes looking for his wife in an area they know is probably contaminated because of his love for her?
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 08:25:22 AM »
I agree with your point,afi_village.This love energy can't explain clearly the end of the movie.
Another thing that is not very clear to me is the color of love......To me (I haven't read the original script) it could also be the pink of the pregnancy test Alma did at the very end,as a symbol of their re-discovered love ...Does that sound weird? :P
"Welcome to The Cove"

srkbeno.1

• Wide Awake

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 09:35:34 AM »
 General Mood Ring Color Indications:

* Black is usually associated with negativity but in my own spiritual path, I find it also relates to any time that the Feminine Divine Energies are present. Some attributes of a black mood ring color that are negative would be if you were overworked, nervous about something, physically under par, etc. Be your own best judge. If it turns black during a time when you are feeling extraordinarily connected, benevolent and aware, then I'd say that's the Divine Feminine influence and certainly not negative.
    * Red is the color of passion and of anger. It can also represent energized action, an adventuresome spirit or major excitement over something that is happening or about to happen in your life.
    * Yellow is the color associated with mental processes, and with the ego self, or personality self as it is sometimes called. Yellow could occur when studying for a test, thinking hard about a problem or struggling with insecurity and/or puffed up pride.
    * Green is the color of living plants and is often associated with growth. Green is the color of the heart chakra. A green shade to your mood ring might indicate a healing time, a feeling of love, etc. It is generally considered the "average" color for a mood ring.
    * Blue is generally regarding as indicating a relaxed mood, someone who is at ease. As blue is also the color associated with the throat chakra, this shade may appear at a time when you are vocally struggling or vocally asserting yourself.
    * White is typically associated with feelings of being frustrated, confused or bored but, in my experience, white is also a color that can indicate very high spiritual energies so if you are not frustrated, confused or bored, don't let the mood ring tell you that it is a negative expression: it could be crown chakra energies expanding or integrating at a spiritual level.
    * Other colors generally described are pink (fear, or in cases where spiritual acceleration of the heart chakra are evident, pink can indicate the opening of the spiritual heart chakra center), purple (sensuality), orange (a state of wanting something), etc.

Fangsz

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 05:23:13 PM »
i see what you guys are getting at with the whole love is the main element of the film (which i don't think was really conveyed in it's final edit).  but, i completely disagree with the idea that the two main characters of the film were not affected by the poison because they were giving off "love" energy.  this stuff kills everyone else it comes into contact with but they are the only pure ones?  what about julian who goes looking for his wife in an area they know is probably contaminated because of his love for her?

I don't think it's a matter of purity or good intentions.  The plants wouldn't react to a human beings intentions, merely the energy they are giving off in their particular state.  Julian may have been acting out of love, but he was definitely in a state of anxiety (as any of us would be).  Elliot, Alma, and Jess were in a unique position that enabled them to fully surrender to what was happening to them, ennacting "love" not as the process of seeking an object, but as a non-seeking embrace, and thus their energy was more ammenable to the plants.  This is only one interpretation of the events, of course, and not the one that the characters seem to decide on, but it's one I like.

Also, while the hermit woman seems to be praying before the event affects her, she is doing so in an angry, bitter tone.  The one man who is not affected in the final scene of the film says "...My God" in an expression of awe and surrender.  I think the key element here is not the intentions each person may have, but whether they are displaying the energy signature that corresponds to open, naked surrender and the non-seeking mind.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 05:28:01 PM by Fangsz »

Fangsz

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »
I agree with your point,afi_village.This love energy can't explain clearly the end of the movie.
Another thing that is not very clear to me is the color of love......To me (I haven't read the original script) it could also be the pink of the pregnancy test Alma did at the very end,as a symbol of their re-discovered love ...Does that sound weird? :P

I think that sounds about right.  That may be one of the reasons why M. Night didn't eventually go with saying that the color of love is green.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 09:10:52 PM »
come on..come onnnn that doesnt make any sense. The pregnancy test has nothing to do with the mood ring. It was a mood ring color. By the way someone could clear this all up for us if they happened to notice the ring on his finger when they went out to meet each other...I still say if it's anything, it's green..so much points to green.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Fangsz

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 11:15:33 AM »
come on..come onnnn that doesnt make any sense. The pregnancy test has nothing to do with the mood ring. It was a mood ring color. By the way someone could clear this all up for us if they happened to notice the ring on his finger when they went out to meet each other...I still say if it's anything, it's green..so much points to green.

Well it sounds like it went from being green in the original script to being a bit more up in the air.  "Green" now only represents a part of its potential manifestation.  It is now the color of Mystery.