Jess

Author Topic: Jess  (Read 1677 times)

Wags

• The Happening

Jess
« on: June 17, 2008, 11:36:51 PM »
Hey everyone,

I was going to wait until I saw the movie again before I made this post, but I really want to know what people thought or if they even noticed this.

SPOILERS

Throughout the movie, it seemed as if Jess had a sort of 6th Sense (no pun intended) about things.  I base this on two instances in the movie:

1. She kept tugging on Alma's arm when the groups split up: which separated them from the groups that were affected by the toxin.  If she hadn't been so anxious, they all probably would have been dead.

2. When Josh was kicking the door down, Jess looks over at the swing, and then goes over and starts tugging on his arm to stop.  He doesn't listen to her, and BOOM, he gets shot.  Had he listened to her, he probably wouldn't have been blown away.

I've been churning these instances in my head for a while now, but I can't figure it out.  Mere coincidence?  Or is there something in there.  Any ideas?

MrStone

• LITW

Re: Jess
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:53:49 PM »
...not a coincidence...from my studies in writing - this is a plot device.  most movies have someone or two that is the 'voice of wisdom' or the 'goddess' or 'prophet' - and jess could have been playing such a role.  For example, the 'hot dog botanist' is a similar character..

the concept of the goddess is from Joseph Campbell's "hero of a thousand faces"

Miles

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:29:08 AM »
Kind of like Bo from signs ;) remember they are talking about her "bad feelings" that she gets and then she says to Morgan "I dont want you to die".

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:37:30 PM »
Yeah that's a lot like Bo from signs.
"i dreamed this"
IMO that's getting old and hackneyed when it is implied, but not developed. It's in SO many films like people just accept that "oh he's the guy who FEELS things, maybe we should listen to him" but with no explanation or even skepticism.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 11:17:51 AM »
Yeah that's a lot like Bo from signs.
"i dreamed this"
IMO that's getting old and hackneyed when it is implied, but not developed. It's in SO many films like people just accept that "oh he's the guy who FEELS things, maybe we should listen to him" but with no explanation or even skepticism.

I've always had somewhat of a "gift" if you will to know and sense things before they happen in some instances.  I think this is another picture of people in life that those unwilling to accept anything not grounded in science or explainability will reject.  I don't think it's a flaw in filmmaking at all to have such a character, though maybe when it's underdeveloped it can be annoying.
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.