Do you M. Night has the potential to "maybe" be the next Spielberg?

Author Topic: Do you M. Night has the potential to "maybe" be the next Spielberg?  (Read 4345 times)

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
Hello.  This my be an old topic.  I'm new here.  Even though M. Night has had a blunder here or there, with a lot of maturing, directing other people's material (providing that it's awsome material), not just the source, but the screenplay written by someone else.  Also work with other composers, (not that I don't like Mr. Howard, because I love his work), just to have a different flavor, I really believe he has a good chance at it.  I put The Sixth Sense on par with Jaws and Signs right up there with Close Encounters of the Third kind.  Now this comparison may alittle far fetched, but I have faith in him.  What does everyone think?  :) :) ;D ;D

Zozaya

• Signs

• Personal Text
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing?
    • Email
Re: Do you M. Night has the potential to "maybe" be the next Spielberg?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:07:18 AM »
He will defenitely surpass Speilberg, at least be as good as him (which i think he already is)
Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing?

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:21:44 PM »
I think he should never stop working with James Newton Howard. To me, that would seem like a very big mistake.

I also don't see him as being the next Spielberg because they are not so similar as director's or writers. Sure, they DO share things in common, but they are different people with different goals as film-makers ultimately.

I do think that he has the potential to be considered just as classic a film-maker as Steven Spielberg or Alfred Hitchcock though... but only time will tell. At this point in his career it is hard to say. Hopefully The Last Airbender will be a huge success for him.

jerem33_3

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 04:23:14 PM »
Speilberg is a disgusting sellout! Night is already fifty thousand times better than him! >:(

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 04:55:27 PM »
Speilberg is a disgusting sellout! Night is already fifty thousand times better than him! >:(

Are you kidding me? Spielberg is one of the greatest director's ever.

mnightfan4lyfe

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 07:10:32 PM »
I don't think Night is the next anyone. He's in his own league and can't be compared to other directors. He's very unique and he's defining his own career instead of walking in anyone else's footsteps.

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 11:46:48 PM »
I don't think Night is the next anyone. He's in his own league and can't be compared to other directors. He's very unique and he's defining his own career instead of walking in anyone else's footsteps.

I agree with your sentiment. He's doing his own thing.

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 02:26:44 PM »

I agree.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 06:18:40 PM »
Steven Spielberg is one of my favorites and M.Night Shyamalan is one of my all time favorites. I love some of Steven's movies, but I love all M.Night movies. Steven Spielberg is one of the biggest and most talented directors in Hollywood and M.Night is one of the most talented writers, director and producers in Hollywood. I have mentioned this before, M.Night Shyamalan name is powerful today than Steven spielberg. If we talk about Spielberg we will hear lots adventure movies and we talk about Shyamalan we will talk suspense, thriller, emotion, characters, music, scene, poetry, it has almost a shakerspearean feeling to it.

Close Encounter with the third kind is my all time favorite movie of Steven Spielberg. I love that movie. I am waiting for his movie about Abraham Lincoln and it will be a great movie I am sure.

And no matter what people say about these two genius artists. The fact is that they both are talented and knows what to do. I would love to see the team of SPIELBERG and SHYAMALAN.

Rohan

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 10:40:34 PM »
The Village definitley felt shakespearean to me..all the way down to the starcrossed lovers. And the monologues WOO and DIALOGUE woohoo!
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 05:19:45 PM »
The Village definitley felt shakespearean to me..all the way down to the starcrossed lovers. And the monologues WOO and DIALOGUE woohoo!

The Village is a timeless classic. I love it. I have the poster,movie,soundtrack and I will buy the T-Shirt.

Rohan

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 08:27:04 PM »
I should get more clothing that expresses my beliefs and taste.

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 03:55:53 AM »
I just think that M.Night Shyamalan doesn't want to become the new Spielberg. He could do it if he wanted, but I think he doesn't.
Steven Spielberg is a master, I don't have doubts about it, but some of his movies were done with the only purpose of get money to support his personal and particular proyects. Jurassic Park was a film made to have money for Schindler's List, and Indiana Jones IV was a fast way to get moeny for his next film, about President Lincoln. In those commercial films you see a great Spielberg, but also a man who just looks for a material purpose: get money.

I'd really prefer that Shyamalan wanted to be nearer to the artist Alfred Hitchcok, who was a revolution in the cinema history and who gave to the rest of moviemakers a way to follow.

Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 09:34:35 AM »
What does that question even really mean?  How does one define what being "the next Spielberg" is? 

This is how I feel as well.  I like a greater percentage of Night's movies than Spielberg's, but then Spielberg has made many more.  I think the main comparison that I like to use with Spielberg and Shyamalan is that when people are ripping on Night for making a dud here and there, they seem to forget that all directors, even Spielberg make a bad movie now and then.  Other than that though, they are each their own person.
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

manojrules

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 04:39:21 PM »
Oh, I don't see why hed want to be like Spielberg, he's much better, more original. He was supposed to direct, write, and produce the fourth Indiana Jones movie, but he gracefully turned down their offer. Now  that Spielberg makes it instead, few people like it. I certainly didnt, and I love M. Night's movies, and the way he creates them.