No director commentary on M. nights DVD's. Why?

Author Topic: No director commentary on M. nights DVD's. Why?  (Read 1566 times)

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
No director commentary on M. nights DVD's. Why?
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:25:03 PM »
There's no director commentary on any of M. Night Shyamalan's DVD's.  I wonder why.  Perhaps it's because he wants you to be totally into the movie and not thinking about what went on here and here and so on.  I love director commentaries.  That's one thing I wished he would have put in his DVD's.   

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: No director commentary on M. nights DVD's. Why?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:28:56 AM »
Maybe there is so much going on in every scene he just wouldnt be able to fit it all in. I mean do you have any idea how much subtext is given to every shot in a movie like the village?
Also if he did those commentaries, we probably wouldnt spend nearly half the time we do on the site discussing his films. We could just reference his own commentary. And that would detract from the enjoyment and publicity of his films. We wouldnt feel as fulfilled and therefore would not have the passion we do for his movies. Still it would be nice to hear him talk a little more in-depth about his movies or to see his notebooks.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

pinkie1205

• Wide Awake

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 01:33:21 AM »
A lot of writers don't do commentary and as far as I know commentary is a thing that production companies ask them to do for DVD releases. 

Are any of his films on Blu Ray yet?  Special Features is a big part of Blu Ray and from what the dude at the video store told me usually a movie won't go to Blu-Ray unless there are a lot of extra features.  Commentary is a big extra feature that people want.

It's like Coen Brother's movies, they don't do commentary either and that's probably why some of their older movies aren't on blu-ray yet.

Don't flame me for this, it's what the guy at the video store told me.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 08:54:19 AM »
Yeah,some of his movies are on blu-ray: Signs,LITW,maybe Unbreakable (not sure) and the extras should be the same.
However,I think he's got some kind of Japanese philosophy about moviemaking: he doesn't want to show us everything about his works,he wants us to be part of his movies.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:18:04 AM »
That makes sense, I just would like to know a little more about him and how he makes his movies.  One of the ways I learn about filmmaking is by watching special features.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village