The Event (UPDATED 7-14-08; Third Clip!)

Author Topic: The Event (UPDATED 7-14-08; Third Clip!)  (Read 6417 times)

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
The Event (UPDATED 7-14-08; Third Clip!)
« on: June 19, 2008, 10:54:20 PM »
UPDATED (July 14th, 2008):

Clip number 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv-HKMF8Uds

Clip number 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiagDWnkHxo

Clip number 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5lpXyhmTgs

Not sure how many people on here know this, probably not many, if any, but I'm an amateur filmmaker (who will hopefully one day be professional) and have been making little movies since I was about five with just a little camcorder and a VCR. A few years ago, I got a much bigger and nicer HD camera as well as a Mac and started doing things a little more technically, and this past nine months I've written and completed two feature length films, one of which has played a few festivals and won an award (Audience Choice) and the other is about to start making its festival run.

Well, I'm out of high school now and work can only keep a person so busy so me and a few friends were trying to decide what our next project will be and what we came up with was.... THE EVENT.

We're going to spoof The Happening, but in a respectful way, as we all loved the movie, and probably put a few satirical jabs at the Hollywood system and maybe a few political jokes, but mostly it's going to be goofy ridiculous humor. Think Scary Movie, only the entire thing revolves around The Happening. Also, minus a lot of the gross bathroom humor from those and only the more clever, witty stuff. What we're basically going to do is remake the film, scene by scene, only amp up the humor a ton. For example, we all know the scene where Elliot (who I'll probably end up playing, just to save time so I won't have to rely on anyone else) is in his classroom and says:

"Now I don' t know if any of you guys have read this article in the New York Times, well apparently, honey bees are just disappearing, all over the country. Now let's hear some theories about why this might be happening."

Well, in our film, that dialogue will be changed to something like:

"Now I don't know if any of you guys have read this article in the National Enquirer, well apparently honey bees are growing to the size of grizzly bears and attacking and eating people. Alright now let's hear some theories about why this might be happening."

And another idea we have is where Elliot goes to confront the train conductor after stopping and basically kicking everyone out.

Elliot: "Hey, you can't just leave us here! Where the hell are we?!"

Conductor: "Actually sir, the train has only gone about 500 yards. We're still technically in Philadelphia."

Cut to the Philadelphia skyline behind them.

Just goofy stuff like that the entire time. The movie will probably end up being in between 70 to 80 minutes. There will be a few things we'll have to cut out just to save us time and energy. But does everyone like this idea? Would this be something everyone would be interested in seeing? Does it sound funny in the least bit?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 08:22:02 AM by Sanford »

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: The Event
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:15:17 PM »
I liek the train scene..it does sound like something out of scary movie. The honey bee thing is just silly though. try something that almost sounds realistic when u first hear it then u have to sort of double take.and you DEFINITLEY need a scene with the "cute boy" wearing some ridiculously large prosthetic ears and nose haha if only for one shot. It would be great to see some lines or ideas from other shyamalan movies sort of making cameos here and there but that might be too much work. "it got out in the papers that some government guys got paid off to keep bees from flying over philidelphia" bwahaha
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:18:54 PM »
Ha ha! That's pretty good. And actually, we were planning on referencing all of Night's other films in this one. My favorite one that we've thought up is Elliot looking at the bodies from a distance on the road through the binoculars when Alma says "What? What do you see?"

Then Elliot says "I see... I see dead people!"

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:22:14 PM »
Oh man that would be a blast to write..working the other movies in..i mean just look at my quote down there v
                   v
                      v
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 11:24:59 PM »
Oh yeah, we've been having a lot of fun coming up with ideas and stuff. I'm going to start the script here in a few days and we'll start shooting at the beginning of July. We have so many ridiculous ideas I can't put them all here because I don't want to ruin anything.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 11:38:09 PM »
I have a really inside-joke sense of humor, so I would probably make it way skewed toward Shyamalan geeks like myself.

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 01:29:17 AM »
You HAVE to upload this to the internet when your done making it. I want to see it.

So, yeah, please share it... it sound like it could be really fun. Great idea! Remember to pay homage to all of his films with your humor. That would be sweet.

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 05:45:50 PM »
Well I probably won't upload the ENTIRE movie online as we want to submit it in festivals in the future, I'll probably upload clips and stuff as we shoot them.

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 07:21:53 PM »
Well, figure out a way to send me a DVD or something if I like the clips... I will NOT be able to attend any festivals to see it.  :P

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 11:41:38 AM »
I think it sounds pretty funny, and would definitely encourage you to run with it.  As an amatuer filmmaker myself, I think it's a great thing to pursue, and hopefully your films continue to meet with success!

P.S.  I actually like the bees getting bigger and eating people part!  Got a laugh out of me!
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 06:47:18 PM »
I think it sounds pretty funny, and would definitely encourage you to run with it.  As an amatuer filmmaker myself, I think it's a great thing to pursue, and hopefully your films continue to meet with success!

P.S.  I actually like the bees getting bigger and eating people part!  Got a laugh out of me!

Thanks a lot man. Hope you're successful one day too!

And we'll probably have clips uploaded in a couple of weeks. The script is nearly finished so we'll start filming sometime next week.

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »
Well, I wish you luck man. It sounds like a great idea.

I am an amateur film-maker myself. What are all of us doing on the M. Night board?  :)

Well, to be honest, he's one of the main film-makers that has inspired me enough to make movies.

Zozaya

• Signs

• Personal Text
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing?
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 01:32:06 PM »
Dude, awesome idea! Haha! Try making the sets as similar as possible, and that I see dead people part? EXCELLENT! You HAVE to use that!
Please upload as much as possible, i defenitly want to see it!
Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing?

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »
Dude, awesome idea! Haha! Try making the sets as similar as possible, and that I see dead people part? EXCELLENT! You HAVE to use that!
Please upload as much as possible, i defenitly want to see it!

Oh yeah, I definitely will. We're shooting the first scene today in a couple of hours (I'm already dressed up like Wahlberg) so maybe tonight I might have a little clip to upload. Not promising anything, but I'll definitely try.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 08:40:17 AM »
Haha, that sounds great.  I like the idea.  I also am an amateur filmmaker, who was inspired to start by Night.  I want to become a professional filmmaker eventually.  I'm in my final year of high school.  It would be great if we could see a few clips.  Take that idea and make it amazing.  ;)
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village