Did The Plant Owner and His Wife Survive

Author Topic: Did The Plant Owner and His Wife Survive  (Read 9155 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Did The Plant Owner and His Wife Survive
« on: June 21, 2008, 02:38:41 PM »
I was wondering what other people thought, did the plant owner and his wife survive?  I think they did, because they got along well with the plants.  You know how you can build up an immunity to poisons by exposing yourself to small amounts, well what if that's what they did, unintentionally.  I think they survived.  Because when the soldier started acting wierd, along with everybody else, he and his wife noticed, and held hands, they didn't appear to be affected.  The toxin caused people to commit suicide, not kill other people.  So I think they survived.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

srkbeno.1

• Wide Awake

Re: Did The Plant Owner and His Wife Survive
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 03:01:52 PM »
Yeah i was hoping they showed us that they survived.. that would help M night with the message of the film

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 05:00:47 PM »
there were multiple gunshots in that scene....it just kept happening over and over, so yes, i think they killed themselves.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 07:27:33 PM »
That is a good question.  M Night seemed to have very specifically showed those two begin to hold hands just before that group started shooting themselves as I recall.  And it very much contrasts how that group was yelling and arguing with one another just before that as well.  And if Elliot and Alma lived because of their feelings of love......I dunno.  Was that scene in the original screenplay Mr.Stone?  And if so, did it play out the same way?

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 08:11:21 PM »
The plants owners killed themselves with HOT DOGS. I can't believe after talking all about the Hot Dog. He was standing and eating one with the bread. This movie was funny,,just funny...

Yeah, they shot themselves.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:21:51 PM by Rohan »

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 09:35:23 PM »
I have no idea what you just said

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 10:08:08 PM »
I'm going to watch the movie again, and I'm going to count the amount of people in that group, and then the amount of gunshots.  It just seemed that they weren't affected, and realised that other people were.  It's just one of those characters where it's left somewhat open ended, and it's up to you as an audience to decide.  I think they survived.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 10:22:23 PM »
I'm going to watch the movie again, and I'm going to count the amount of people in that group, and then the amount of gunshots.  It just seemed that they weren't affected, and realised that other people were.  It's just one of those characters where it's left somewhat open ended, and it's up to you as an audience to decide.  I think they survived.

They shot themselves. Trust me.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 10:46:53 PM »
Ha..Mr. Glass I was thinking the exact same thing you just said as i was reading this post..just count the number of people/shots. It's possible he didnt have enough bullets, but at least we can know for sure if the numbers match the whole group. It would be sort of a nice secret wink wink moment in the story to make us think and watch it again more closely. -sigh- i love those :)
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 11:42:29 PM »
Rohan, I am not saying you are not right, but how are you so sure?

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 09:36:50 AM »
I think they did not survive,but I'm not completely sure about it ???
"Welcome to The Cove"

joecartoon131

• Wide Awake

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 01:40:17 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't believe they survived.

Yes the plant owners loved each other, but I think the idea that love could "overpower" the toxin (like in the original screenplay) was negated at the end of the film where Elliot met Alma and Jess in the field. The title that appeared after they stood in the field read Arundell County, 9:58 A.M.

Later, through a news report, we learn that the event ended at 9:27 A.M. So "the happening" was over thirty-one minutes before Elliot stepped outside. My guess is it ended just after Mrs. Jones died because she was able to set it off herself (just one person).
Fate Won't Let You Hide Forever

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 02:24:02 PM »
Rohan, I am not saying you are not right, but how are you so sure?

I am sure because if you remember the plant owners grabbed each others hands. And then we heard shots after shots. I assumed they killed themselves.

Rohan

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 03:57:43 PM »
I am sure because if you remember the plant owners grabbed each others hands. And then we heard shots after shots. I assumed they killed themselves.

I also think they killed themselves, but I was just wondering how you were so certain.  I was thinking you had some information that made it for certain or something.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »

I also think they killed themselves, but I was just wondering how you were so certain.  I was thinking you had some information that made it for certain or something.

Dude, I wish I could take the camera from Marky Mark's face and put on that group of crowd that the Plant Owners were standing with, so I could show that they really shot themselves miserably in the head and throat.

Rohan