Did The Plant Owner and His Wife Survive

Author Topic: Did The Plant Owner and His Wife Survive  (Read 8936 times)

MrStone

• LITW

Re: Did The Plant Owner and His Wife Survive
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 09:55:15 PM »
That is a good question.  M Night seemed to have very specifically showed those two begin to hold hands just before that group started shooting themselves as I recall.  And it very much contrasts how that group was yelling and arguing with one another just before that as well.  And if Elliot and Alma lived because of their feelings of love......I dunno.  Was that scene in the original screenplay Mr.Stone?  And if so, did it play out the same way?

i think it did play out like it very similarly..

here's the script concept.

the toxins are released based on triggers..but the triggers keep changing and becoming more sensitive..

1.  large cities are the first trigger.
2.  roads and highways are the second.
3.  large groups.
4.  emotions.

the botanist and ihis wife were killed in the large group segment...

elliot and alma survived the fourth because of the love...and the triggers were more sensitive at that point aimed at emotions..

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 10:27:11 PM »
Yes the plant owners loved each other, but I think the idea that love could "overpower" the toxin (like in the original screenplay) was negated at the end of the film where Elliot met Alma and Jess in the field. The title that appeared after they stood in the field read Arundell County, 9:58 A.M.

Later, through a news report, we learn that the event ended at 9:27 A.M. So "the happening" was over thirty-one minutes before Elliot stepped outside. My guess is it ended just after Mrs. Jones died because she was able to set it off herself (just one person).

Good point! I didn't think to pay so much attention to the times, cuz I only saw it once. That changes a lot.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 11:02:54 AM »
I think the implication in the film is that they killed themselves.  Given that Elliot and Alma weren't saved at the end by their love (moreso it was just a sign that they placed their love for each other ahead of their survival), but by the fact the "happening" had ended, I don't think that the holding hands was a sign the hot dog couple would survive.  Maybe they did, and if somebody wants to believe they did then go ahead.  However, I don't think Shyamalan intended to have them survive, as it wouldn't really fit with the rest of the story as it played out.
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 02:58:45 PM »
Allright, I have to disagree, I just saw it again.  And this time I was paying attention.  I noticed, that when everybody else froze, the man and his wife didn't, they were wondering what was going on.  Then, the soldier started walking backwards, I looked in the background, the group behind the man and his wife, they were also frozen, but the botanist and his wife started to hold hands.  That's my proof, and I'm seeing it again tonight.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 03:22:42 PM »
yeah the girl in the park in the beginning was looking around too, and the french guy at the end. That doesnt mean they survived.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »
I don't think you would have gotten closure, because the film was focused on Alma and Elliot.  Also, everybody around them was frozen, why wouldn't they be frozen.  One other thing, he mentions that plants have the ability to communicate, what if the plants of the botanists had told the other plants not to harm them, because they new that the botanist and his wife cared about them.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 03:42:31 PM »
I think they did not survive,but I'm not completely sure about it ???

Self-quote ;D
I've changed my point of view,they survived.As Mr_Glass said before,they were not under effect of the toxin,so they could have survived.The same for the French guy and the girl in the park at the very beginning.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 05:27:45 PM »
nuclear power plants beat regular plants  ;x hehehaha

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 06:59:04 PM »
I was wondering what other people thought, did the plant owner and his wife survive?  I think they did, because they got along well with the plants.  You know how you can build up an immunity to poisons by exposing yourself to small amounts, well what if that's what they did, unintentionally.  I think they survived.  

Good point, but my only question to that point would be, if the plant owner and his wife were always good to their plnats, why would their plants have any reason to release any kind of toxin to kill them?  Some one else in here said that not everyone in the film was effected by the toxins...does that mean that the plants and trees only went after certain people or groups?  If so, why?

Good point though. 

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »
Maybe when you are good to plants, they release an anti-toxin so that you won't be killed by the toxin...

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 01:30:21 PM »
Man, now my brain is all twisted up trying to work it out.  Maybe Namaste is right, that they release an anti-toxin.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 07:52:10 PM »
Maybe when you are good to plants, they release an anti-toxin so that you won't be killed by the toxin...

I think you're right.  That makes since.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »

I think you're right.  That makes since.
Since or sense?  ;D