About Julian...

Author Topic: About Julian...  (Read 2719 times)

pinkie1205

• Wide Awake

About Julian...
« on: June 22, 2008, 12:42:22 AM »
****SPOILERS****

Hi everyone this is my first post :)

I am a MNS fan and I have been for awhile.  I have been reading over this message board on and off all day.  I'm glad I found it because I would have never thought that one existed.

Okay so to my question..

I just saw this movie today and besides the usual questions the biggest one I have is about Julian's side.

So when Julian saw that there was a hole in the top of the jeep you could tell right away that he knew it was infected.  Obviously when the jeep wrecked he had a seat belt on.  The thing I thought was kind of weird was when he got out of the jeep he sat on the ground for a second before he started killing himself.  If he was infected like the other people were he would start doing it right away like they did.  It was almost as if he had it in his brain that he WAS in infected but he was going to fight it but the infection was too strong and over took him in the last second.

Any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 12:45:16 AM by Dr Malcom Crowe »

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Re: About Julian...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 12:49:06 AM »
Hello pinkie - I went ahead and edited your post as to not include spoilers in the title. Thanks.

As to your post -
What I like thinking about this scene is the little message Shyamalan adds in there - the others flew out the windshield and died because they obviously weren't wearing their seatbelts - therefore: not wearing your seatbelt = suicide. Buckle up people  ;)

GrOoDmAn

• Wide Awake

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 12:56:53 AM »
Julian wasn't wearing a seat belt though, so I'm guessing he put his on between the time the Jeep stopped and when it was speeding towards the tree.  And he also seemed to be holding on to a handle above the glove compartment as well.

pinkie1205

• Wide Awake

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 12:57:40 AM »
`Sorry about that I wasn't even thinking.

Really I don't think it has much to do with seat belts at all.  He survived the crash but he didn't get out of the jeep and find the first piece of glass.  When he got out of the jeep he sat down on the road for a minute then started slitting his wrists. 
It was almost like for him it was more then just a mindless suicide like it was for everyone else.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 02:35:07 PM »
Seat belts are important  ;)

The others didn't had the seat belts on and they flew from the windshield. Julian knew he will get infected when he reaches the infected city. And the hole was a bad sign for him cause the way he looks up at the hole. The jeep stops and then runs boom hits the tree and others flew from the windshield. Julian didn't flew cause he was holding to something. He was trying to stop himself to die even though he was infected, cause he wanted to see his wife for the last time no matter what.

The infection was strong enough that forced him to kill himself by cutting his wrist. Now, I have been thinking about the Killing styles in this movie. Julian cuts his wrist cause he was regretting not having his wife in front of him. Cutting your wrist is a style of suicide by someone who is tired and exhausted of everything he/she tried all life, but couldn't get it. Failure.

Rohan

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »
just a thought...

we could probably stop labeling everything as a spoiler now - i think if anyone's concerned about spoilers at this point, they're probably not even reading the board.

on to the original question - not sure there is a reason other than theatrical effect for the moment between his attempt, etc..

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 11:43:51 PM »
Good point about him walking out, and then sitting down. He was walking (forward at that) which means that either he had a higher resistance to the toxin, or it's just a plot hole resulting from a desired theatrical effect. Suicide is the final stage, which obviously at least one person had already reached. If he were reacting at the same speed, I'm sure there was plenty of glass inside the car with which to kill himself.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 11:46:35 PM »
we could probably stop labeling everything as a spoiler now

I'd still prefer it if we don't post spoilers in the thread topics. Thanks.  ;)