Killings.Suicide.Torture Style In "The Happening"

Author Topic: Killings.Suicide.Torture Style In "The Happening"  (Read 2061 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Killings.Suicide.Torture Style In "The Happening"
« on: June 22, 2008, 02:59:07 PM »
First of all, I am really happy that this movie is doing great in Box Office worldwide after all the bashings and some negative reviews. The movie is classic and it was made intentionally by M.Night Shyamalan. All the camera movement in CLOVERFIELD was loved by critics, I love Cloverfield myself, but camera movement gave me a headache when I was watching the movie at the first day. And some critics actually bashed "The Happening" I don't know why they didn't bash "Cloverfield".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------SPOILERS------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Happening. A very funny, yet disturbing classic from M.Night Shyamalan camp. This movie terrified me and in the meantime it made me laugh that I slapped my knees. I am impressed by the maker and writer yet again. I am not sad how it ended or how it was directed or how it was written. M.Night made this movie intentionally. He didn't lose his writing skills or directing skills. If he would, PARAMOUNT would never chose him to direct THE LAST AIRBENDER.

Killings, style of suicide in this movie is terrifying and part funny. I was thinking when I was watching the movie again last night that why the people kill themselves the way the want to kill themselves. For example: The cop shoots himself in the head. Why he shoots himself, why don't he want to smash his head in the cars, or why he doesn't want to bite and eat his wrist. There is a reason and I hope I make sense here.

JULIAN. He cuts his wrist. Why he cuts his wrist just to kill himself? Why he didn't killed himself in a different manner? Cutting your wrist is a slow dead to actually punish yourself of regreting something. Julian missed his wife and wasn't able to meet his wife. He failed. He cut his wrist. The driver in the jeep slammed the car in the tree and killed himself. Why slammed the jeep into the tree?, he couldn't make it. He wanted to survive.

Mrs.Jones. Slamming her head in the walls and into the windows. She was tired of life and infact the whole world. She knew what was going on outside in the cities, but never wanted to be part of it. She was a loner and a failed person in life who lived in that house for years. THE MOMENT OF THE KILLINGS was probably reminding them of REGRET. Why we didn't do this, so I would never face this kind of harsh death.

Elliot,Alma and Jess are innocent souls. For example, if we see a tree or flower we say its beautiful and its fragile. ALMOST SAMETHING WE CAN SAY ABOUT A HUMAN. It doesn't matter if that human is male or female. We are fragile when it comes to nature. We are part of this world. Everything tiny living thing is somehow connected with us being able to walk,talk,breathe. No matter how that tiny living thing looks or walks or eats.

Elliot and Alma are in the verge of making a big mistake. The plants didn't do anything cause Elliot and Alma realized that they care about each other and love each other till death. Jess lost her parents and she is innocent. Remember, plants can sense sadness,feelings. We can sense someone's sadness cause we are alive and plants are alive as well. If we don't drink water we die, if plants don't drink water they die.

The Happening is a message. The happening is HAPPENING. If there is any mistake, feel free to correct me.

Rohan

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 11:53:35 PM by Rohan »

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: Killings.Suicide.Torture Style In "The Happening"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 11:56:13 PM »
That's interesting. I wanna add a couple things now that you bring up the subject.
The guy driving the jeep (this is sort of funny) maybe if he was going to die, he wanted to take at least one tree down with him haha.

and the old lady in the house..maybe she is symbolizing how even when you try to shut yourself off from the world..it still finds you and smashes it's head through your windows.

By the way, i want to take this space to talk about my first impression upon seeing the old woman become affected by the toxin. She had mentioned earlier that they used to hide slaves in the cellar, and judging by her psychotic personality I thought maybe she was kidnapping all the people who stumble upon her home and hiding them in the cellar..which was under the garden. So even though she looked like she was alone, she was actually on top of a group of people. At that point I thought, also that possibly Alma and Jess had been taken down there.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:13:18 AM »
That's interesting. I wanna add a couple things now that you bring up the subject.
The guy driving the jeep (this is sort of funny) maybe if he was going to die, he wanted to take at least one tree down with him haha.

and the old lady in the house..maybe she is symbolizing how even when you try to shut yourself off from the world..it still finds you and smashes it's head through your windows.

By the way, i want to take this space to talk about my first impression upon seeing the old woman become affected by the toxin. She had mentioned earlier that they used to hide slaves in the cellar, and judging by her psychotic personality I thought maybe she was kidnapping all the people who stumble upon her home and hiding them in the cellar..which was under the garden. So even though she looked like she was alone, she was actually on top of a group of people. At that point I thought, also that possibly Alma and Jess had been taken down there.

I don't think Alma and Jess were taken down in the cellar by Mrs.Jones, because there was no reaction of sadness on Alma and Jess. They never mentioned anything to Elliot that were forced to the cellar or locked in the cellar by anyone.

Rohan

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:30:07 AM »
At that point I thought, also that possibly Alma and Jess had been taken down there.

I don't think Alma and Jess were taken down in the cellar by Mrs.Jones, because there was no reaction of sadness on Alma and Jess. They never mentioned anything to Elliot that were forced to the cellar or locked in the cellar by anyone.

Rohan

Yeah, well we know that by the end of the film, but at the time she goes nutso, we're in the middle of trying to figure out what happened to them.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 02:17:58 PM »
At that point I thought, also that possibly Alma and Jess had been taken down there.

Rohan

Yeah, well we know that by the end of the film, but at the time she goes nutso, we're in the middle of trying to figure out what happened to them.

LOL. I don't know. I think they went to the cellar and got locked there.

Rohan

pinkie1205

• Wide Awake

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:10:03 AM »
I kind of wanted to know more about the old lady.  Like why she kept saying, I guess I should offer you a drink, or I guess I should feed you dinner, and I guess I should give you a place to stay for the night.
Also she slapped Jess's hand when Jess tried to get the cookie and kept rambling and getting mad when they mentioned the outside world.  There is something about Mrs. Jones that I don't quite understand like there should have been something said about her character and why she was so crazy and so afraid of the outside world yet she never listened to the radio and she didn't have a TV to really know what was going on.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 01:21:20 AM »
I think she was just raised like that. She was forced into certain ideals and felt confined by them, yet was afraid to ever give them up, because she wouldnt know what to do without them. The outside world challenged that closed set of ideas and it scared her. Her manners and morals and rituals didnt save her husband, they didnt give her a family, and they never made her truly happy, so she felt betrayed by the world in general. Don't read this like i'm stating fact..just some food for thought.