Most disappointing Night film?!

Author Topic: Most disappointing Night film?!  (Read 5149 times)

SkarpoTheSorcerer

• Praying with Anger

Most disappointing Night film?!
« on: June 23, 2008, 11:25:01 AM »
After i had seen The Happening, i thought it was Night's most disappointing film, after reading all the bad reviews and the reactions on Imdb boards i was certain it's going to suck, but regardless of that i saw it in the theatre with a friend, and we both hated it, and im a Night fan! so im interested to see what Shyamalan's fans think about it.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Re: Most disappointing Night film?!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »
I would agree that The Happening is Night's most disappointing film - however, I don't really see the hate for it. It would take a couple paragraphs to explain my feelings about this movie, so I am just going to leave it at that for now.

GothMan

• The Happening

• Personal Text
    You should close your eyes to see the Truth.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 05:16:57 PM »
Maybe his most disappointing movie but it's not bad at all. Just different.
"A common misperception of me is... That all my movies have twist endings, or that they're all scary. All my movies are spiritual and all have an emotional perspective." (M. Night Shyamalan)

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
While The Happening may have been a minor disappointment for me, I wasn't even as let down as I was after Unbreakable.  And at least I like both of those movies despite being disappointed a little.  LITW is easily by far the most disappointing film of Shyamalan's in my opinion.  The only caveat is that I went into it with low expectations, so it wasn't as big of a let down after watching it as Unbreakable, or possibly The Happening. 
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 07:57:59 PM »
None of his films are disappointment to me. Again, I don't see the money in the box office window. I see the quality and creativity of this writer and director.

Rohan

mnightfan4lyfe

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 08:40:38 PM »
I have seen all Night's films except for the Happening, but I have never been disappointed in any of them to be honest. They're all very inspiring.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 04:52:29 PM »
The Village is the worst for me.  Hands down.

adelaide

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 06:07:29 PM »
He has not done one!!!
After i had seen The Happening, i thought it was Night's most disappointing film, after reading all the bad reviews and the reactions on Imdb boards i was certain it's going to suck, but regardless of that i saw it in the theatre with a friend, and we both hated it, and im a Night fan! so im interested to see what Shyamalan's fans think about it.

San Jose Shark

• The Sixth Sense

• SJSharks.com
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 07:35:22 PM »
Lady in the Water for me. This is my list from favorite to least favorite as of right now.

The Happening
Signs
The Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
The Village
Lady in the Water
Wide Awake
GO SHARKS!

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 06:24:16 AM »
I agree with Dr. Malcome Crowe and GothMan. It is his most dissapointing movie, but still not a bad movie!
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Sri HK

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 10:46:25 PM »
While The Happening may have been a minor disappointment for me, I wasn't even as let down as I was after Unbreakable.  And at least I like both of those movies despite being disappointed a little.  LITW is easily by far the most disappointing film of Shyamalan's in my opinion.  The only caveat is that I went into it with low expectations, so it wasn't as big of a let down after watching it as Unbreakable, or possibly The Happening. 

You were dissapointed with Unbreakable?  :o
What you see isn't always what u get.

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 06:23:21 AM »

You were dissapointed with Unbreakable?  :o

Lol Yeah I know what's up with that?? Unbreakable is quite possible the best film ever made!

But yeah The Happening is also my most disappointing film.

Not just by Night either. Just one of the worst films i've ever seen.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 02:08:49 PM »
I don't think it's dissapointing, none of his films are.  So I guess I can't really answer that question very well.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Unbroken

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 11:59:09 AM »
The Happening didn't disappoint me that much, probably because I adjusted my expectations after hearing negative things from fellow fans.

Lady in the Water was the most disappointing - but only because I thought it would be one of the most amazing movies I'd ever see, and it turned out that the overall execution of a brilliant idea didn't quite match up to it, in my opinion at least. So I was disappointed by Lady in the Water, even though I actually like it now a whole lot more.

I'd even say that Lady in the Water is superior to The Happening in many respects, it is a lot more evocative, but The Happening didn't let me down. It was better than I expected, although it didn't affect me much.

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 05:31:31 PM »
What exactly dissapoints you people in Happening?

In my opinion, the only possible really bad point, if you care, is the acting as whole (except for the old woman).

Now (what I believe is the correct view, and I beg to see any understandable argument negating me), the point of his work with Happening is the "Happening". Definition of Happening: an event that often occurs in a way that is unexpected or hard to explain. read this definition few more times and try to compare it with the movie content. Now, do you know how people react to a thing that is unexpected and hard to explain? In raw, rugged and quick manner, defined by instinct and their own major points of personality. The happening is a movie with theme that is, by nature, raw. As raw as it can get. How would you react to a sight of mass suicide? Would you not run if someone shouted that it's coming with the wind? Would you go through epic introspective if a man fell of the roof near you, or your companions get shot-gunned nearyou out of nowhere? You-would-get-raw.

The Happening is the type of movie (note that it's incredibly darker than his previous work, and an absolute opposition to Lady in the Water, in ALL possible ways), and the plot itself, in profile fits perfectly into any of the Stephen King's work (and if you didn't read King's work, you're thousand lightyears behind in terms of culture). In fact, it's similar to some of his titles and short stories. Comparing it with King only makes it so much greater, above the average. Yes, it didn't stun as other movies he did, and that's because it's made uncommon - as King does - with the cruical difference that King takes the role of writting dead-serious while Shyamalan negated the importance of acting -> Which can be, perhaps, with the intention of trying to focus you into the happening, and not the people involved, sort of, leading you straight into the theme, and not covering up with intercharacterism.

Alternatively, to back up this theory, listen to howard's compositions. Dark and raw. Led by nasty cello. NO known melodical magic and soothening strings, harp, violins, keys...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 06:33:29 PM by Decadent Sympozium »
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.