AMAZING!

Author Topic: AMAZING!  (Read 6188 times)

Butterfly

• Praying with Anger

• Email
AMAZING!
« on: June 23, 2008, 03:30:40 PM »
I am a big M. Night fan, but I haven't joined this forum until recently.

I noticed an AMAZING thing. No threads discuss the beautiful political meaning of the film, summarized by:

The Village = The U.S

The woods = Everything outside the US

The creatures = The terrorists

Whats up with that???

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: AMAZING!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 03:45:43 PM »
Yes! this is just the post i was waiting for...let's look at this a little. ( i didnt want to start this thread myself)

1 Terror alerts (highest threat level? Red)
2 False information given for justifying the actions of the elders (the whole premise of TWDSO)
3 Drills (deleted scene, but referenced in the film) Preparedness.org?
4 Exaggerating the threat by keeping it in people's minds constantly as a means to control them. (watchtower shifts, painting the poles, the ritual of the meat, the safe color)
5 Justifying hatred and withdrawal from the rest of the world based on a few incidents
6 Alternate explanation of the "bad color" = racial prejudice?
7 Anyone know what the Dubya in George W. Bush's name stands for? That's right, WALKER.

and specific subliminal references to 9/11 like a field in pennsylvania, plane routes, black boxes which are claimed to hold information justifying "the elders" for their actions.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 10:34:47 AM »
See, this is what happens when people start trying to read TOO much into Night's movies for hidden messages.  The Village is a beautiful movie, with a powerful message.  However, this theory out there that the message has anything to do with the US, or the War on Terror, is ridiculous.  It's just not there, except if a person wants to interpret the actual message and twist it into a political one.  I just can't help but laugh every time somebody brings up this notion.  Please don't discredit this great film by making it just another anti-bush, anti-US foreign policy, propaganda film.  ::)
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 11:56:49 AM »
DILinator, I wouldn't go as far to say that the idea is laughable. I do believe the state of the world at that time was Shyamalan's inspiration for the film, it may not have been directly linked to Bush or what-have-you - but there is most definitely a connection of sorts. I think the original poster's theory is more plausible.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:00:07 PM by Dr Malcom Crowe »

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 08:18:10 AM »
Maybe "laughable" is a bit strong.  I was talking to my wife about this yesterday, and The Village is her favorite Shyamalan movie.  She didn't think it was talking about that either (and I still don't think it was even the inspiration for the message, or intended that way by Night - certainly not as the OP suggested), but did point out that the interpretation of the movie can be different to different people, depending on thier bent, and life experiences.  We saw the movie through the filter of our views and life experiences, and found it to be a brilliant, moving, and cautionary tale.  However, I think it has nothing to do with US foreign policy or Bush.  Seriously, I just don't see it there at all.  That doesn't mean though that the message in the movie can't be applied to each individual's frame of reference, beliefs that they hold, and life experiences.  For some, evidentially it makes them think of the war, and US politics.  To each their own, and I think the overall message of the movie is subject to interpretation.  I cannot be convinced that it has anything to do with the Iraq war or anti-Bush sentiment though.  Maybe if Night came right out and said it, but otherwise, I just don't think that's the point....
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:01:20 PM »
  I wouldnt say that it has to do with the iraq war, but it has to do with the elimination of our freedoms one by one based on keeping the american public in fear. Fear leads to hatred and prejudice..fear leads to illogical thinking...fear leads to paranoia..and fearful people are easier to control. It's time for the American people to wake up! And realize that TWDSO are indeed spoken of every day. They are implied hour by hour just as they were in the village...you've seen the billboards, you've seen the news reports, you see it every time you go to the airport, in the presidential debates..in every local debate. The "elders" don't want you to forget for a second why they are doing everything that they're doing. You are trapped between being a sheep and being unpatriotic.

"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither" - Benjamin Franklin

It's time to venture into the woods, people. It's time to throw off the illusion. "Your sons are making their stories real"!
  Who do YOU want to continue this place? Those who would further the deception? If we don't make ourselves heard now, a republican or a democrat will take the whitehouse. Perhaps it is inevitable at this point (if bush will even allow a free election this year..don't look at me like that..you havent seen the things I have) but we have to let them know that we know. That we won't be deceived forever, and we are coming.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Zozaya

• Signs

• Personal Text
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:32:09 PM »
See, this is what happens when people start trying to read TOO much into Night's movies for hidden messages.  The Village is a beautiful movie, with a powerful message.  However, this theory out there that the message has anything to do with the US, or the War on Terror, is ridiculous.  It's just not there, except if a person wants to interpret the actual message and twist it into a political one.  I just can't help but laugh every time somebody brings up this notion.  Please don't discredit this great film by making it just another anti-bush, anti-US foreign policy, propaganda film.

I completely agree with you man...
Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing?

Butterfly

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 01:28:32 PM »
  I wouldnt say that it has to do with the iraq war, but it has to do with the elimination of our freedoms one by one based on keeping the american public in fear. Fear leads to hatred and prejudice..fear leads to illogical thinking...fear leads to paranoia..and fearful people are easier to control. It's time for the American people to wake up! And realize that TWDSO are indeed spoken of every day. They are implied hour by hour just as they were in the village...you've seen the billboards, you've seen the news reports, you see it every time you go to the airport, in the presidential debates..in every local debate. The "elders" don't want you to forget for a second why they are doing everything that they're doing. You are trapped between being a sheep and being unpatriotic.

"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither" - Benjamin Franklin

It's time to venture into the woods, people. It's time to throw off the illusion. "Your sons are making their stories real"!
  Who do YOU want to continue this place? Those who would further the deception? If we don't make ourselves heard now, a republican or a democrat will take the whitehouse. Perhaps it is inevitable at this point (if bush will even allow a free election this year..don't look at me like that..you havent seen the things I have) but we have to let them know that we know. That we won't be deceived forever, and we are coming.

This was a very spot on post. I am 100 % sure that this is an intended message in the film. But it can never be proven. Thats the beauty.

Pure genious. Like Da Vinci did with his art ... using his fame to hide messages to be found by the few, but never to be proven by the authorities (this would surely get him killed)...

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:18:46 AM »
Ummm, interesting thread.  Not going to discredit the original theory, think it is plausible, but need to watch the movie again. 
***It appears that we are dipping into politics-please, everybody, keep calm so we can discuss this maturely***
Namasate, what do you mean with the remark about the free elections?
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 12:43:43 PM »
Disclaimer: I am not promoting or attacking any specific political party here. Not trying to sway people's votes or political affiliations. I am simply  making a comparison between art and life. And I dont consider it much of a stretch, myself.

What do I mean? I mean READ HIS EXECUTIVE DECISIONS.He can imprison any person he personally deems an enemy combatant and jail them for life without a trial. Habeus corpus is not all-encompassing anymore. (millitary commissions act) President Bush has signed executive orders giving him sole authority to impose martial law, and suspend habeas corpus. This gives him dictatorial power over the people, without any checks and balances. Which means he can decide whether or not he will allow a presidential election to take place.

The government can jail you for life without charges, without a trial, and without a lawyer.
EXECUTIVE ORDER #10999 allows the government to take over all modes of transportation.
EXECUTIVE ORDER #11000 allows the government to mobilize civilians into work brigades under government supervision.
EXECUTIVE ORDER #11921 provides that the President can declare a state of emergency that is not defined, and Congress cannot review the action for six months.
The government claims the power to seize all financial instruments: currency, gold, silver, and everything else if they deem an emergency exists. -Treasury Department Letter (August 12, 2005)

to see a professional news report on msnbc:
http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=wTP2gs-NUtc&feature=related

just watch that vid and then tell me u disagree.   :-[
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 12:57:26 PM by Namaste »

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 09:35:08 PM »
after i saw the movie the very first time - i really felt like it was a commentary on the human condition.  being a person of faith, i specifically can see how he is criticizing Christianity.  Not in a way that I disagree with tho.  For example - there are some in the faith that want be so separate from all the evil in the world that they run to places where they think there is no evil.  But, they don't realize, that evil is still inside themselves.  As people of faith, we create lies about everything outside of our own little world to keep ourselves and others in this wonderful utopia we created.

THat's how i saw it...

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 09:53:58 PM »
Yeah, I saw it as a commentary on religion as well. I am a serious christian, but I've seen the same thing you're talking about too. I see a lot of christian parents refusing to tell their kids about the world in a reasonable fashion because of their own hang-ups..and it always turns out poorly for the kids.

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 06:57:56 PM »
It is more likely that it is neither about christianity, terroism, family as sociological term, or something similar.

I tend to disagree with people who claim Shyamalan sends such direct and specific messages. Actually, when I sum up the span of his ideas, I 'd say it's ridiculous and blasphemous to say he does things with precise message. For example, the "walker" having to do with Bush. it is more likely that it's either a name with no real meaning, or that it is named Walker because Walker = a man who WALKS, and walking is an element in Village.

Shyamalan sends global messages. For example: Signs. Sings aren't about aliens, goverment, invasion, or christianity, it's propaganda, and so forth. Signs is solely about faith, karma and chances. Let's narrow it to faith. FAITh is involved with existence of aliens, FAITH is the principal appearance in religion, FAITH is an instrument of trust for goverment, and depending on your own level of faith development witin, it determines your actions. To say it simplified, the message is not to think about goverment, aliens or christianity, the message is to think about faith, and thinking about that will lead you to understanding of the things faith is involved with. Following this - to understand Village, sum all these ideas you got, and seek the cruical element that is in all the ideas you got (terrorism, family, fear, religion...). The one that links them all is the key point of The Village.
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 09:47:58 PM »
It is more likely that it is neither about christianity, terroism, family as sociological term, or something similar.

I tend to disagree with people who claim Shyamalan sends such direct and specific messages. Actually, when I sum up the span of his ideas, I 'd say it's ridiculous and blasphemous to say he does things with precise message. For example, the "walker" having to do with Bush. it is more likely that it's either a name with no real meaning, or that it is named Walker because Walker = a man who WALKS, and walking is an element in Village.

Shyamalan sends global messages. For example: Signs. Sings aren't about aliens, goverment, invasion, or christianity, it's propaganda, and so forth. Signs is solely about faith, karma and chances. Let's narrow it to faith. FAITh is involved with existence of aliens, FAITH is the principal appearance in religion, FAITH is an instrument of trust for goverment, and depending on your own level of faith development witin, it determines your actions. To say it simplified, the message is not to think about goverment, aliens or christianity, the message is to think about faith, and thinking about that will lead you to understanding of the things faith is involved with. Following this - to understand Village, sum all these ideas you got, and seek the cruical element that is in all the ideas you got (terrorism, family, fear, religion...). The one that links them all is the key point of The Village.

I agree with you, but I kept thinking of religion or escapism as the issue...but not that he intended to address that issue specifically - just what i got from it.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 02:53:09 PM »
Signs is solely about faith, karma and chances. Let's narrow it to faith. FAITh is involved with existence of aliens, FAITH is the principal appearance in religion, FAITH is an instrument of trust for goverment, and depending on your own level of faith development witin, it determines your actions.

Faith is my daughter.  Does that mean Signs is all about her?  ;)

I somewhat agree with what you are saying as well though about the generalized messages.  He definitely has specific messages, but those messages are not specific to some of the things being discussed here (Christianity, Politics, etc.). 

The message of The Village can be applied to Politics, if you are so inclined that way.  I'm not at all, and don't see the world I live in to be at all similar to the world created in The Village.  I just don't.  Sorry. 

However, it did really strike a chord and hit home with me in regard to some of my past experiences involving Christianity, and overzealous people who think they can run away from the world and create their own perfect envirionment.  I'm a very conservative Christian myself, but I have seen first hand the dangers of building a religion, and a seperated society around beliefs of a few "elders", who are trying to "protect" the next generation.  So that's where it plays with me, and I think it's brilliant in that regard.  Given many of the mannerisms and situations in the film, it's entirely likely Night has run across people similar to what I have over the years, because there's definitely a lot of similarities there. 

I'm a "Signs" person.