Lady in the Water - my opinion

Author Topic: Lady in the Water - my opinion  (Read 7334 times)

goatny

• Praying with Anger

Lady in the Water - my opinion
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:42:36 PM »
I have seen "Lady in the Water" several times, and I enjoy it more each time I see it. Interesting how some people appreciate this film and believe it is a work of art and others think it silly. I watched it one time with my wife and she turned out to be in the latter group. People are different, where some see a "message" -- one of hope, trust, and faith (and that there is more to this world than the mundane), others see a bad fairy tale that went wrong. Well, M. Night made this film for the first group and I am glad to be included with them. As to my wife and the rest of you, well, too bad! BTW, just saw The Happening, I liked all of his films, but enjoyed Lady in the Water the most.

:-)

pinkie1205

• Wide Awake

Re: Lady in the Water - my opinion
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:27:30 AM »
I have to say that the first time I saw LITW I was floored.  I hadn't seen another movie like it ever.  I really enjoyed it and each time I watch I catch something different.

marco

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 05:07:54 PM »
Interesting how some people appreciate this film and believe it is a work of art and others think it silly. I watched it one time with my wife and she turned out to be in the latter group. People are different, where some see a "message" -- one of hope, trust, and faith (and that there is more to this world than the mundane), others see a bad fairy tale that went wrong.

Lol,this reminds me of the conversation Graham had with Merrill from Signs...Is that a coincidence? ;D

However,your post made me think about this: what if some characters in LITW represented the different reactions people had with this movie?I mean,for example,the child who can read the message on the cereal boxes could be someone who caught the message of the movie (just like you ;)),instead the critic should obviously be someone who didn't appreciate it ::)  ???
"Welcome to The Cove"

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »
I think all of Shyamalan's films are about "seeing" I mean just read my signature :P
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 07:07:09 PM »
People are different, where some see a "message" -- one of hope, trust, and faith (and that there is more to this world than the mundane), others see a bad fairy tale that went wrong

To me, the real issue is that many people "see" a message, and they still think the movie sucks.  I know people personally who saw "hope,trust, and faith" but they thought it was executed poorly and not developed enough.  I mean, I could film myself just standing there talking about hope trust and faith for 2 hours, and it could be very compelling and powerful dialogue, but it doesn't mean that is going to be good or watchable.  You either feel the story or you don't in my opinion.  And I felt this one very much.  No movie has ever had the kind of impact this one had on me.

adelaide

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 05:56:30 PM »
I think this film is beautiful and the acting is superb. It is "other worldly". The movie brought a lump to my throat and tears stinging in my eyes because of it's simple purity. Thankyou Mr Shyamalan for being a wonderful story teller.
I have to say that the first time I saw LITW I was floored.  I hadn't seen another movie like it ever.  I really enjoyed it and each time I watch I catch something different.

jodylync

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 10:26:22 PM »
I watched it for the 2nd time tonight.  When I first saw it, I thought it was okay.  Tonight, I was blown away. 

Recently I have been reading books by authors such as Deepak Chopra, Wayne Dyer, and Echardt Tolle.  They speak about having purpose, awakening, and how all people are connected.  Sound familiar?  So when I watched LITW tonight, these messages really spoke to me.  I got a message that I didn't get before because I am at a different point in my life now than I was when I saw this movie originally.

In this apartment building are people that we might ordinarily dismiss.  People that seem ordinary, not special, maybe even strange.  But in reality, they are all connected to each other and remind us that we are all connected.  That we each have an important purpose that we don't understand or even know. 

Wonderful!!  Wonderful!!

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »
People are different, where some see a "message" -- one of hope, trust, and faith (and that there is more to this world than the mundane), others see a bad fairy tale that went wrong

To me, the real issue is that many people "see" a message, and they still think the movie sucks.  I know people personally who saw "hope,trust, and faith" but they thought it was executed poorly and not developed enough.  I mean, I could film myself just standing there talking about hope trust and faith for 2 hours, and it could be very compelling and powerful dialogue, but it doesn't mean that is going to be good or watchable.  You either feel the story or you don't in my opinion.  And I felt this one very much.  No movie has ever had the kind of impact this one had on me.

In my fair age, I've seen bout 5000-7000 movies, from hollywood to tunisian amateur. Did some calculations on this matter. I never felt anything even closer to what I did after seeing Lady in the Water. Even today, when someone brings Lady in the Water into discussion, I tend to go silent for a while. The impact was that more powerful since I literally lost all hope in movie production since 2001+. I, however, was incredibly restored with Lady in the Water. (I guess the part of it goes thanks to Newton Howard for the...perfect sound harmony he..."invented". The other part that did left me neutral to the moive - I didn't knew Shyamalan work.) The amount of thought, ideas, brilliancy and emotions I managed to pick up during first watch was so overbearing, I was left speechless. Never did a movie left me speechless. I spent the remains of night thinking about all the things that were said in the movie, all the incredible themes and logic that were connected inbetween, all the incredible symbolism involved. Months later, I managed to come up with new thoughts, managed to notice new ideas, connections and meanings inside, and not once did I go so far to believe I'm making things up. Apart from this, I felt movie as being simply beautiful, the type of movie that is 1000 years ahead of our time, and the type of movie that people need in this social human mess. I was that more overtaken by the movie because the cinema room was breathless just as I was, all numb silence, and silent comments in lines of "fantastic", or "this is beautiful", just here and there pleasantly cracked with bursts of laugh, specially at the Cleveland's child-acting scene that so incredibly rose the atmosphere. It was the experience of a single 90-minute effort that changed my vision of "entire everything", further becoming the no.1 work of art I ever managed to sense, shoulder to shoulder with , for example, Baudelaire's Correspondances, and such.
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

Igerree

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 04:00:26 AM »
I liked all of his films, but enjoyed Lady in the Water the most.

ditto

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »
I agree with everything that has been said before me.  The movie was amazing, unfortunately I was only able to see it once in theaters, where you can really immerse yourself into the experience.  The movie is stunning, from the story, to the cinematography, the best I have ever seen in a film, I think it should have been nominated for an academy award, to the music, my 5th favorite soundtrack, (behind The Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings and The Villlage.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

villager

• The Sixth Sense

• My youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 10:55:50 AM »
This movie is different than most. All the characters have something about them that contribute to the story.
It is like a fairly tale set in the real world.

I think the story is a bit confusing and sometimes hard to follow. I also think this movie is funny, in a good way. Paul G. as Clevelend is great.   ;D
Well do have him come forward.

Imalshen

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 10:52:51 PM »
Hehe. Giamatti rocks. I love his stutter. It sounds so real.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Mr. Heep

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 04:10:04 AM »
^There're people who hated the stutter, thought it was unrealistic, and took away from his performance. :( But the stutter friggin' makes his character. :D Gotta love it.

They call me Mr. Glass/Tibbs

Imalshen

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 01:52:45 PM »
I know someone with a stutter just like his. Trust me. It's not "fake" at all.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 10:34:56 PM »
"I miss your faces. They remind me of God."

^one of the best lines EVER in a movie. And Giamatti delivered it beautifully.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.