How Unbreakable Changed

Author Topic: How Unbreakable Changed  (Read 7609 times)

Unbreakable888

• Wide Awake

• Email
How Unbreakable Changed
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:09:03 AM »
Unbreakable is one of my favorite movies - it's actually #3 on my list of favorite movies, and it's my favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie.

This made me interested in reading the screenplay of the movie. Reading the screenplays sometimes gives explanations that you wouldn't have immediately noticed in the movie. So I searched and found it here:

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/unbreakable.html

One night I read the entire script, and then watch the entire movie, and it made me think.

It's pretty obvious that in this earlier draft of Unbreakable, there were supposed to be sequels. It leaves too many open ends, as David Dunne does not get authorities to arrest Elijah Price but he seems to become distant and weak, as there is no sign of proof that Elijah Price actually did anything. Also, there is no scene between David and his son about him being, "Unbreakable" - I believe his son was supposed to originally find out in a later movie.

And I also noticed the scenes that didn't make the cut, neither to the movie itself nor to the deleted scenes. I thought that most, if not all, of these scenes should have made the cut. Other scenes were skimmed for the movie and left untreated, which I didn't like either.

In fact, I think I prefer almost everything about the original draft more than the final product. The only few changes I prefer are the stronger words used for describing the connection between Elijah and David - like everything was meant to be. I felt like that had a place in this movie that wasn't in the original draft.

And while the movie might amplify the words being said by restraining itself to using many words, the draft, having more dialog, seemed to have more overall feeling of disconnection between David and his wife. The tension was definitely stronger.

If the movie was done as it was originally intended to be, it would have been much better, in my opinion. It would have been a trilogy, and it would have been my favorite movie.

So, how do you feel on this subject matter?

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: How Unbreakable Changed
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:18:13 AM »
I feel like I would just like to take a look at Shyamalan's notebooks some time. I catch glimpses here and there of how much he does that no one even notices (like when u catch little snippets of him giving the actors subtext for their scenes in the bonus features, or when i saw a news report done during the filming of the happening where they mentioned that the weeds in front of the gas pumps in a totally extra building [which was only in one shot] were props and intentionally placed there) [btw, that building was accross from the diner in the diner scene.] And he makes all his actors sign confidentiality agreements so we won't hear anything from them. He won't let the general public know what's going on inside is head. I wonder if anyone really even knows the whole story.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Unbreakable888

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 03:06:52 PM »
Can you blame him, though?

I think almost everybody is critical of their own work - I heard M. Night Shyamalan won't even let his wife know anything about his process of making a movie. If you allow someone to get inside your head during the process of making a product, they will become extremely respective of all of the faults that go into an unfinished, or not throughly thought through process.

I think M. Night Shyamalan has a "cult" following that likes the majority or most of his movies, and then the general public, who only likes his two big hits - The Sixth Sense and Signs. If he allowed, us, the cultists, who wouldn't judge him harshly on his process, to see his way of making a movie, then no doubtably would he have to let the public in general see that process, which may make him even less popular than he is now towards many.

Besides, there was a book created that explained a lot of these things and M. Night himself said that after reading the book, it seriously made him think about becoming a dentist...

I respect his decision; all I'm saying is that I wished Unbreakable was filmed exactly (or every close to) this script.

mamasan

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:13:13 PM »

Besides, there was a book created that explained a lot of these things and M. Night himself said that after reading the book, it seriously made him think about becoming a dentist...

That's funny! I don't remember ever hearing that quote before.  :D   
Poor guy!

Unbroken

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 03:28:49 PM »
I'm going to read the script soon and see what I think of it. Unbreakable is my second favorite Shyamalan movie (tied with Signs) and probably his most well done in terms of perfection. The film has practically no flaws as far as I'm concerned.

- It's alright to be afraid, David. Because this part won't be anything like a comic book. Real life doesn't fit into little boxes that were drawn for it. -
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:30:42 PM by Unbroken »

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 03:58:02 PM »

Yeah,"The man who heard voices" ;D That book is awesome!It clearly shows you his fears and worries in making movies,that's why he said that.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 04:07:59 PM »
Yeah, i saw that book the other day when i was looking up the book he wrote based on LITW. It looks good..i just dont have any money right now :(
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

manojrules

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 12:43:11 PM »
That is wierd... maybe he wasnt sure he wanted to leave the movie that open, but in an interview for the Happening, he said he was really looking into making an "Unbreakable 2"

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 12:52:53 AM »
No wayyy..he wouldnt cast bruce willis in another movie.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 06:26:59 AM »
Why not?
He would have cast him if he made a sequal right after the original. Now, after 8 years, why wouldn't he cast Bruce? Bruce said he wanted to do a sequal too...
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 09:45:46 PM »
Shyamalan only uses actors in major roles a maximum of two times.

Lieutenantnike

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 12:23:30 AM »
The Man Who Heard Voices is a very great book for fans like us. A definite read for anyone who visits this site frequently.

I would worry too much about Night's work with making a "sequel" in general to one of his movies... I mean, if Unbreakable 2 existed, the only thing he could really write for it would be the story of Bruce Willis hunting down Samuel L. Jackson with a full understanding of his powers at a later, developed stage. The movie would be incredibly cliche and awkwardly distant from the feel of its predecessor.

While a cliff-hanger ending that the original script portrayed would most likely improve the first movie, it would also set it up for a bad, unnecessary sequel.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
The Man Who Heard Voices is a very great book for fans like us. A definite read for anyone who visits this site frequently.

I would worry too much about Night's work with making a "sequel" in general to one of his movies... I mean, if Unbreakable 2 existed, the only thing he could really write for it would be the story of Bruce Willis hunting down Samuel L. Jackson with a full understanding of his powers at a later, developed stage. The movie would be incredibly cliche and awkwardly distant from the feel of its predecessor.

While a cliff-hanger ending that the original script portrayed would most likely improve the first movie, it would also set it up for a bad, unnecessary sequel.

I will have to buy my copy really soon.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 01:04:41 PM »
I read the book, just haven't bought it yet.  What about a sequel where his powers start to go out of control.  Do you know how annoying it would be to be constantly seeing all the bad thing people do. 
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 01:03:18 PM »
Shyamalan only uses actors in major roles a maximum of two times.
I believe that, when the Airbender Trilogy is completed, he broke that rule. So why wouldn't he break it for a sequal to Unbreakable?
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...