Shyamalan's Pseudonym

Author Topic: Shyamalan's Pseudonym  (Read 4015 times)

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Shyamalan's Pseudonym
« on: June 25, 2008, 05:08:34 PM »
I was just reading an interview with Shyamalan, where he said he wished that they could just put someone else's name on [the happening] as director so that the public would not go into it with all their prejudice and preconceived notions about his films. This brings up an interesting question:

Should M. Night write/direct his next big movie (after/during avatar) under a pseudonym? And would it be possible to pull it off?
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

GothMan

• The Happening

• Personal Text
    You should close your eyes to see the Truth.
    • Email
Re: Shyamalan's Pseudonym
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 05:35:45 PM »
It's a kinda funny.
After seeing The Happening I thought if I had gone to the cinema and watched this movie without knowing that it is an M. Night Shyamalan film maybe I didn't even realize it. It's a different one. Can't wait for the next project anyway!
"A common misperception of me is... That all my movies have twist endings, or that they're all scary. All my movies are spiritual and all have an emotional perspective." (M. Night Shyamalan)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 07:09:23 PM »
He could write under a pseudonym, but he can't direct under it. I think he could pull it off.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 11:01:35 PM »
I don't what to say if he uses pseudonym. I don't think he will.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 03:27:31 PM »
I wouldnt put it past him. He could announce it after 2 weeks or so that it is his film. that would get all the people with negative opinions to go see the movie thinking it was a mindless horror flick, then also get all his hardcore fans who would go to a movie just because he wrote it. It might even still have a big opening weekend without the hardcore fans because so many normal people would go see it, not knowing.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 09:05:29 PM »
Instead of writing under Pseudonym. I think M.Night should go CLOVERFIELD style. A secret Project.

Rohan

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 09:59:25 PM »
I'm not following you...what do you mean by secret project? and how does it connect to cloverfield and having a pseudonym?

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 10:14:44 PM »
I'm not following you...what do you mean by secret project? and how does it connect to cloverfield and having a pseudonym?

No body knew CLOVERFIELD was made. No News, No On Set Pics or anything. Even the first teaser trailer was mysterious without any title when it was showed in front of "Transformers"

Rohan

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 11:24:56 PM »
Oh, I guess he could do that. He should take his name off of it though. his name puts too many expectations on a film. He can come out and announce it a couple weeks after release.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 06:20:42 AM »
No body knew CLOVERFIELD was made. No News, No On Set Pics or anything. Even the first teaser trailer was mysterious without any title when it was showed in front of "Transformers"
Well actualy, there where set photos. In the DVD extra futures you can see that there where photos on the internet of 10 minutes earlier during the New York shoot.
However, they used a fake production name which made me laugh so hard: "Cheese". They also shot the other scenes under fake names, so someone who saw them shooting a scene, wouldn't connect all the other scenes together.
The secret of Cloverfield is well kept and I really liked that. Though I don't think we will see Night going in such direction.
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Erin

• Signs

• The Future is Unwritten
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 06:30:48 AM »
I think it was not a bad idea cos he said for instance it's not Lady in the water which had been the most criticized but the director himself .

manojrules

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 05:52:22 PM »
I'd be disappointed if he did, because my family rarely sees movies. I barely managed to see his newest movie, The Happening, so what about other fans like that, who only go when they know the movie theyre going to see is from a favorite director/writer/producer? Theyd miss seeing it, without even knowing it, but then again, if he did anounce after a while, it would be all right for fans. Or maybe he could make his famous cameos in the movie, and then if someone notices him, theyll know, but it wouldnt be too impossible for him to get away with going under a pseudonym.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 07:55:22 PM »
Yeah, thats why I said to announce it after a couple weeks. A cameo would let people know too soon.

Breakable

• Praying with Anger

• Invidious Films
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »
IMO Night needs to kill the people who advertise his movies. He should get full creative control over them. So people know what they are going to see, rather than being tricked.
Aliens, monsters, earthquakes, are nothing. We are smart enough to survive any situation. No, no, no... At the end of the day the downfall of humainty will be caused humanity, and humanity alone.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 04:08:36 AM »
Good point. If he could advertise the movie for what it really is in his own way it would help a lot. I mean half the people don't know what his movies are about even after watching them!