Significance of Math? *spoilers*

Author Topic: Significance of Math? *spoilers*  (Read 13599 times)

Misterkami

• Praying with Anger

Re: Significance of Math? *spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »
Did anyone else notice the math reference when the girl Stacy on the phone starts saying:
"calculus.... I see... in calculus"
The other thing I noticed was the Einstein quote that when bees are dying, humans would die within 4 days too.. if Einstein knew that and he is the main icon for science.. that would suggest science (or math maybe for that matter) would have an explanation for the Happening..

any ideas on this?

theos

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 11:42:06 AM »
Mmmmh my only idea about this (as I probably stated before) is that mathematical/statistical/dry thinking that does not consider emotions and feelings may be the cause of the happening :)

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 01:12:02 PM »
yeah math is proven time and again throughout the movie to be no real help against the happening itself. it makes people feel better, but in the end it wont save you. i think the girl was just looking for a solution and revealing her last true thoughts as she was overcome.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 08:18:09 PM »
Him using math as a coping mechenism is very real and is one of the best parts of the whole aspect of the film.  We all try to calm ourselves down when erratic things hapen around us, and yes it was obvious, but I think it was suppose to be because that's how people really react in circumstances that are out of their control, we go with our strong points.  It's basic flight or fight.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 01:12:16 PM »
I agree with you Prince111, and also, math is very specific, nothing uncontrollable or unplanned happens in math, there are rules and you know what to expect.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 02:32:06 PM »
I agree with you Prince111, and also, math is very specific, nothing uncontrollable or unplanned happens in math, there are rules and you know what to expect.

well-put
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 01:06:05 PM »
Thanks, it not often that I can say what I want to and have it come out right.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »
I think math represents the wrong,desperate attempt of men to try to escape from what's going on.
I also think that everyone who has fear of the unknown,in the movie,does not survive.And math (something totally created by human beings themselves) is an easy way to face the unknown.Easy but wrong.
Everyone who uses math or any other means known by human beings,without considering other possibilities,fails in the movie.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 01:34:27 PM »
It's an unemotional thing, humans are emotional beings, we can't live completely unemotionally.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 01:57:04 PM »
Yeah,that's true,I agree.But I think it's something more than this difference.It's something connected with faith in the unknown.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 10:22:51 PM »
Nothing is overused in the movie. If a incident of that calibre takes place, a scientist will talk science, a mathematician will talk math, a teacher will discuss, a beggar will watch and discuss about it with his fellows. A priest will pray. Its in the nature.

Hope that helped.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 10:43:08 PM »
But the movie isnt about documenting a realistic cross-section of everyone affected by the event. It emphasizes specific things to make statements about certain aspects of human "nature" and mental conditioning

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 01:16:56 PM »
I think Marco's post about math and faith is interesting, I'm going to have to process that for a while.  It's true though, math requires very little faith it's a hard fact, and like Jon Leguizimo's character says, people are comforted by math.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 01:57:14 PM »
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen." -hebrews 11:1
"The wind blows where it will, and you hear the voice of it, but you don't know where it comes from or where it is going..." -john 3:8

[Sometimes things are just an act of nature and we may never be able to understand them.] -The Happening

"Math and science are noble pursuits which attempt to explain more and more every day, but in the meantime how do we deal with the unknown? Faith." -Me
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 02:20:00 PM by Namaste »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 01:40:35 PM »
Yeah, it's true, and you're not the only person to realise it, it's been one of the things that has kept people going, even when they didn't want to.