My Rant...

Author Topic: My Rant...  (Read 2888 times)

MrStone

• LITW

My Rant...
« on: July 02, 2008, 10:10:12 PM »
Ok.  So it's been a couple of weeks now since The Happening was released.  I've read many of your comments, both negative and positive.  I've mentioned a few of my thoughts, but I've got to be honest.  So please, don't take anything I say in this rant the wrong way.  This is just some observations.

1.  I truly believe that Night has begun living in his own little world of writing/directing.  I think with what I consider the travesty that is The Happening - I think it shows that he's become too isolated from feedback, rewrites from other writers that he actually thinks this movie is great.  I love Night as a filmmaker - he's done some brilliant work.  That's why I find this topic so frustrating.  I wanted it to be sooo good.  I cringe when people refer to it as their favorite movie of his, simply because I don't understand how.  I feel bad for the guy because being an auteur, he wants and demands nearly complete control of his films.  And yet - this isolation seems to have separated him from growing as a writer.

2.  Night can/will rebound.  Even Spielberg has released some bombs.  I think Night has so much talent that we haven't seen the best, and I'm hoping that this was the worst.  Even being HIS worst, he put out a film that is not that bad when compared to other 'thrillers' that have been released in recent years.  I just think that all the pieces weren't there for this one.  In fact, a lot of them weren't.  I know he doesn't want to be a one-trick pony.  But with this film, I seriously think that he could have done a twist ending and had a great success.  To me, it feels like a twist ending would have improved it. 

3.  I really appreciate that Night's premises are always original.  They don't seem to be rehashed formulas from past successes.  I mean, who thought this idea up before?  The originality of the idea was good - but I think the execution was poor.  Even the USC Trojans lose a few here and there. 

Having said that, i want to remain a Night fan - so I will no longer discuss the happening or probably read much of this part of the forum..i'll hang out in the other areas and try to keep traffic there going.

So, for those of you who enjoyed the movie - i'm not downing you - i just wanted to get this off my chest because I was so emotionally attached to the idea of the movie BEFORE it was released.

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: My Rant...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 10:19:40 PM »
ok, then start commenting on The Village!  ;D
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 11:24:59 PM »
Hey Mrstone, don't worry. M.Night is still hanging with us. He is a damn good director. You know it. You don't like "The Happening" its okay. Move on, and wait for his next original project. OVERALL I give THE HAPPENING a five star. Its priceless, funny,spooky and make sense.

Rohan

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 12:18:32 AM »
I truly believe that Night has begun living in his own little world of writing/directing
I think it shows that he's become too isolated from feedback

What happened with "The Green Effect" script?  I thought that was re written very specifically because he was accepting feedback from the studio?  Maybe I am wrong.  If I am not wrong about that though, then I feel like this point is kinda nullified.  Or maybe I am not understanding?

spikeshinizle

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 04:00:03 AM »
I've gotta agree with you Mr Stone.  I'll remain a fan of his, but this The Happening was a huge disappointment for me.  Me and my friends were talking about Night's works after we saw the movie and we pretty much came to the same conclusion as you.  He seems to be moving more and more into his own world.  Hearing all of his pre-release talk about "The Happening" I thought I was going to be in for a really suspenseful/thrilling/scary movie.  Knowing how his past films have scared the crap out of me at times, I was so excited that he was making a film which was focused entirely around giving the audience the creeps.  Unfortunately, the film was really messy and contained none of that "Shyamalan dread" which he was able to create so well in his other movies (Sixth Sense, Signs and The Village in particular).

Like Mr Stone mentioned, I'm not saying that people who like the movie shouldn't like it, simply that I was really let down.  I hope the Avatar films open up Night's eyes a little more.  I'm sure the creators of the show will be keeping a close eye on his script.

Vanessa

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 07:59:46 AM »
Yikes!! I haven't seen it yet.... so I am not reading your rant... I will decide for myself... Cannot WAIT!!!!
I can live for 2 months on a good compliment.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 09:04:04 AM »
I understand that some of you don't like, and that's cool.  I loved it, but not everybody likes it, and I can see where the pieces might be missing.   ;)  That's cool, see you around the forum MrStone.  Vanessa, welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the site, and the movie.  :)
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

jodylync

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »
I have to agree with you.  I am a huge fan of Night's films because they all deal with the internal struggle.  Whatever is happening externally is not the story, the external struggle is..

Sixth Sense - Bruce Willis' character struggles with having failed one child.  He cannot fail this child.  The ghosts are not the real story.  The real story is him trying to save a child.

Unbreakable - The internal struggles for Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson's characters are amazing.  One man (BW) struggles with the idea that he may be special.  Another man (SLJ) needs to believe that there are special people out there.

Signs - A man of faith's struggle of dealing with his wife's death and raising his children

The Village - A group of community leaders struggle to keep their utopia safe from violence

Lady in the Water - A man who lost his family struggles with living a life without them.

Each of these movies are about what is internal. The external is a catalyst, but not the real story.

The Happening was the opposite.  It was all about what was happening externally.  Mark Wahlberg's character is trying to keep his wife and his friend's daughter safe, but there is no depthness to the character.  This movie didn't have that wonderful psychological struggle that makes Night's movies so rich and wonderful and real.

You know how Hollywood will take a Stephen King short story, and turn it into a full length movie?  You have one scene in the movie that is based on the short story and the rest is all extra junk that is usually not well written.  This is what this movie felt like... Like someone took a scary short story and some M Night wannabe director made it into a full length movie.  No deep characters.. just gory scenes over and over.

Some critics have complained about the long pauses and non-action in Night's previous movies.  But that is why his movies are so great and are a great actor's dream.  The actor should be able to tell you with his expressions and actions what his character is feeling.  There is no need for extra dialogue such as "I see you are disturbed by this." etc.  It is not needed because the actors and directors are showing us this.  But some critics have complained about these pauses and called them "slow."   Read some of the negative reviews on Amazon on say "Signs."  Most of the complaints are that the aliens look stupid or that there wasn't enough about the aliens.  Hello!  The movie is not about the aliens it is about the people!! 

I feel like M Night is the intelligent person's director.  If you are intelligent, you'll get the message.  You'll recognize the real story.  But The Happening didn't have all that.  It was almost like M Night took all the negative reviews of his previous movies and made this movie.  I keep asking myself if this is Night's way of saying.  "Here!  Is this what you wanted?"  Action, gore, and no depth.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 11:48:51 PM »
That makes sense, it's all that I love about Night's previous movies-the depth of characters and their development.  Your post makes complete sense jodylync.  The one thing I like about The Happening was how it was different, just about everything was different from his previous films.  Got to run and will post more on this later.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »
I feel like M Night is the intelligent person's director.  If you are intelligent, you'll get the message.  You'll recognize the real story

Weird.  I completely disagree with this statement.  I think quite the opposite.  I don't think his movies have anything to do with appealing to intelligent people.  In my opinion, he makes me feel the characters and the ideas, not think them.  I think this is telling in how simple his stories are.  The complexity seems to be in the feeling and emotion of his movies.  That being said, I think this movie lacked the character development that is present in his previous movies.  But, that is why I think maybe the rewrites the studio made him do might be one of the things to blame.  It sounds like the studio wanted a different movie then M Night ultimately wanted to make.  Which kinda brings me back to my initial response to the first post, would this have been the movie we were all hoping for if studios had liked The Green Effect script more?

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
I've read a copy of The Green Effect script, how early or late I don't know.  The one I did read though had more character development then the movie, again, I think if you added a half hour to the movie, like his previous movies, it would have been better, more like what you want.  I agree with okokokok, it doesn't have to do with being intelligent to enjoy his movies, I think they're succesful because they span a lot of people, because it has to do with family and friends-their emotions, which span all humans.

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 06:59:32 PM »
I think there was a lot of stuff cut from the film, more specifically the stuff that involves Elliot and Alma's relationship.  The only reason I say that is because when we got that temporary buttload of screenshots, there were a few that had Elliot and Alma talking in their house before he went to work (which was also in the 'green effect' script).  So while I think that some of it got cut, I do believe that their relationship was a little more fleshed out originally.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 11:10:35 PM »
That was the feeling I got, and I wonder if the studio made Night take that out to make it more different from his previous films.