...but isn't that what we like about him?

Author Topic: ...but isn't that what we like about him?  (Read 3518 times)

swingaway

• Wide Awake

...but isn't that what we like about him?
« on: July 07, 2008, 10:30:29 AM »
Okay, I agree.  It sucks to not have M Night appreciated by others the way that we do.  It makes us cringe to read the smack.  He is not for everyone and isn't that why us die hard fans are drawn to his work?  I think it is safe to assume that most of us true fans of him and his work, ourself have always been a little left of center - not social rejects or anything - but just feel slightly different than the crowd.  That definately discribes M.  He could produce a blockbuster staring Will Smith if he wanted to, he is smart enough to figure out the formula - he just doesn't.  IMO he does not feel the need to please the masses.  He does what he feels.  The Happening is just one more example of that.  The media has always felt the need to bash those who go against the grain - kinda like a jock beating up/picking on a not so popular kid.

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
Re: ...but isn't that what we like about him?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:09:27 AM »
I agree with you completely.

Unbroken

• Futuristic (After Earth)

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:38:42 AM »
Ditto, dude.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:13:18 PM »
Well put swingaway, I agree.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 11:19:22 PM »
by the way, the nerd is much smarter than the jocks  ;x  maybe that scares them.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 11:21:15 PM »
Waaaay smarter.  ;) ;D
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

GothMan

• The Happening

• Personal Text
    You should close your eyes to see the Truth.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 04:03:25 PM »
Well said, my friend.  ;)
"A common misperception of me is... That all my movies have twist endings, or that they're all scary. All my movies are spiritual and all have an emotional perspective." (M. Night Shyamalan)

manojrules

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:27:02 PM »
Yes, I completely agree!! I'm 12 and noone expects me to understand his movies. I saw the rest of them when I was 10, and I remember some of them, Unbreakable and the village i think, that most people didnt like them, and now people hate the happening. I couldnt even watch some parts it was so freaky but I want to watch it 10 more times because the storyline is amazing and its a great attempt, and he did a great job on it.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 08:06:18 PM »
what kinda parent would let a 12 yr old go see an R-rated movie?  :o
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

GothMan

• The Happening

• Personal Text
    You should close your eyes to see the Truth.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 03:12:40 PM »
what kinda parent would let a 12 yr old go see an R-rated movie?  :o

Oh, come on...
"A common misperception of me is... That all my movies have twist endings, or that they're all scary. All my movies are spiritual and all have an emotional perspective." (M. Night Shyamalan)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »
What is the Oh, Come On... for?

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 03:49:38 PM »
I'm going to assume it's because lots of parents allow their kids to see R rated movies and there isn't necessarily anything wrong with that if  the child is mature enough.

Granted, it was a response to someone that was being sarcastic (as far as I can tell).

manojrules

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 01:40:40 PM »
look, i agree, my cousins 10 has seen so many freaky movies, he saw Signs when he was seven or eight, whil i saw it only about a year ago.

And to answer your question, my dad and I are huge fans, we've tracked the news for this movie for a long time all ready, but when he found out it was rated R, he said he didnt want me to see it. He said in signs, when the aliens finger was cut off, it was a little out of character for Shyamalan, but actually, it made the scene more intense, it brought a special feel to it, which is exactly why Shyamalan made The Happening rated R. He said to consider seeing it, because I was a little scared after seeing the alien in the pantry scene from signs and some scenes from the sixth sense two years ago. But now, everyone in my family knows I've matured, and I knew there would be scary scenes in the movie from the first five minutes of it, with the girl with the hair pin, and the graphically falling people. I had been waiting for the movie for a long time, but I knew what I was getting into. It's not my parents, it was my decision, and I knew what I could see could really scare me, but I knew that all ready.  I was prepared, and I just didn't watch the graphic scenes, from the music alone I got the intense feel of the scene that makes us love Shyamalan's movies, and what I missed, I read about online, just enough to find out what happened. So, please, don't blame my parents. It was my decision, and actually I've been begging to see it again. We rarely go to the movies, we only went when we had free movie passes that we earned from a movie theatre program, and my parents arent the type of parents that say, "Why dont you go see the R-rated movie?" Nope, I had the chance to see any other movie, but I'm a fan of his movies, and I wanted to see it. I chose to. And I'm a writer, I'm always writing, and watching movies and reading books really helps. This movie had a fairly good constructed storyline, and I really liked the detail of it, and I learned more about constructing summaries, storylines, and such like that. I'm not the typical 12 year old, like others I've met who reads 2nd grad books like "Ginger Pye" and stuff, like everyone else in my classes, I'm in 12th grade reading level and I read mature books, and I've a huge fan of Shyamalan's movies, I chose to see this, I held myself responsible to not look at whatever I knew I wouldn't want to see. And of course, The Village was once rated R, based on a single sound effect, so if it had that sound effect, you may say the same thing and say, "why let your kid see an r-rated movie?" even if I don't listen to that sound effect? Same thing, but I ddint watch those r-rated scenes.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 04:05:43 AM »
Parenting skills aside, you do sound pretty mature to me from what I've seen in your posts. keep reading! Keep writing! Keep seeing! (just dont look at the scary stuff, haha)

manojrules

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 11:35:31 AM »
Thanks! And yeah xD

But I really hope M. Night sees the support from his fans, because when he made LITW he said this:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2006-07-18-shyamalan_x.htm
so who knows how he's reacting to what people are saying about this film. It's sad to set such high expectations for him, because really the movie was a bit rushed, since he made in two year's time, but the concept of it was very nice, it didn't really go rambling on about various subjects, it stuck to the "end-of-the-world because of nature rejecting us" storyline, and I think if that ever did happen, that's exactly how it would happen. At first we'd assume that it was terrorists, because right now that's what we seem to be doing, isn't it? After the attack in New York, that's what we'd assume right away, that some chemical was launched into the air with a mix of most likely medicines for mentally hurt people, that give off the effect to make us confused and eventually suicidal. But then as everyone flees together, you may meet some people who seem odd but are actually pretty smart and come along and say that maybe it's the plants, and you think these people are insane, but eventually, you realize that when the wind blows or chemicals from plants are shaken, is when more people become affected, and if plants really have been proven to talk to each other, then maybe nature's beginning to reject people, and this is the end. It's the Happening, and it even stays true to the name.