Mrs. Jones = Mother Nature?

Author Topic: Mrs. Jones = Mother Nature?  (Read 5842 times)

Sri HK

• Futuristic (After Earth)

Mrs. Jones = Mother Nature?
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:01:59 AM »
Was listening to the soundtrack on youtube and came across this comment made by a user.....

I feel that Ms Jones represented Mother nature, how she said I expect it would be the kind thing to offer you supper. She always says I guess the kind thing for me would be to offer you a place to stay. Then at the end when she screams get out! It represents mother nature has had enough of the humans expecting to take so much without little consequences.

Also when she said your planning on killing me arent you, reminds me how we are killing the environment. I have no idea if my idea is real but it sure fits well.

Wht do you think?
What you see isn't always what u get.

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
Re: Mrs. Jones = Mother Nature?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 02:20:16 AM »
That's one of the most interesting theories I've heard yet.

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 04:03:05 AM »
I noticed Mrs. Jones as a character, while watching the movie, she and here role were designed in a manner different than the remaining characters. I specifically observed her since Shyamalan makes characters that are ordinary people but contain divine within themselves. During that it came across my mind that this truly might be the refference to Nature, the only thing that worried me afterwards was the doll, which implied she's a nutcase, and her own "usual" death, two things that very much did not fit into Nature descriptions (But I do make it possible to explain the doll as being something that they were not supposed to touch, get into contact with, I mean, the guy did sweep her house). However, if you go from the point of her being a Nature, the messages she sent, "Don't touch what's not yours", then giving that when it was appropriate, "You will kill me", place offering, but afterwards kicking them out, and so forth, it makes incredible sense.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:06:59 AM by Decadent Sympozium »
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 01:06:43 PM »
This reminds me of the scene in Unbreakable where Elijah is browsing in the comic store. Someone (not sure who) said that he 'caused 3 accidents in the store, and the third time he finds what he was looking for.
That scene references the whole movie about Elijah causing three major accidents to find the one, the unbreakable, David Dunn.

I can believe that this again is a scene that references the whole movie, but in an other context.

Once again, it showed that Night is a genieus.
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:48:15 PM »
Yeah, somebody else already made that connection a while ago in the "message from god" thread

- Mrs. Jones being a clear and obvious metaphore for Angry Mother Nature ('Never take anything without asking', 'The world doesn't care about me, I don't care about the world', 'I guess I'll have to offer you some food. I won't invite you twice', 'I wasn't expecting visitors' etc. - sorry if these quotes are wrong - I haven't seen the movie in english) but at the same time being a very religious person,

and

Wow, I had never thought of Mrs. Jones as mother nature. That's a good observation. The way she gives as though it were what she was meant to do whether she likes it or not. She gives them food and shelter, but is inexplicably paranoid that they will steal from her or kill her. And yeah, that "dont take things without asking -smack-" it's like the toxin.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

GothMan

• The Happening

• Personal Text
    You should close your eyes to see the Truth.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 04:08:17 PM »
This reminds me of the scene in Unbreakable where Elijah is browsing in the comic store. Someone (not sure who) said that he 'caused 3 accidents in the store, and the third time he finds what he was looking for.
That scene references the whole movie about Elijah causing three major accidents to find the one, the unbreakable, David Dunn.

Wow, I wasn't aware of it until now! Thanks!
"A common misperception of me is... That all my movies have twist endings, or that they're all scary. All my movies are spiritual and all have an emotional perspective." (M. Night Shyamalan)

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:27:08 PM »
Wasn't sure where to post this; I dont think it's worth a new thread, but just something I wanted to see if anyone else noticed, and I figured a thread regarding nature would be all right.

I was thinking about this movie today during work (I think about a lot of stuff, 10 hrs/day painting walls), and one thing that sort of struck me as interesting and kind of going along with the Earth thing is the clothes Elliot and Alma were wearing in the movie.  In the first day of the film (before Mrs. Jones freaks out on them), Alma and Elliot's clothes clash really, really bad with their surroundings in the fields, Alma wearing a bark blue dress and Elliot wearing white and blue.  And then on the next day, they were wearing really earth-toned colors (Elliot in brown and Alma in green).  And that was sort of interesting to me, sort as if symbolizing as they become more aware of the Earth's consciousness, they too become more aware of their involvement/part of the Earth as well.  May be a bit of a stretch, but just a thought.

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:02:54 PM »
Yeah, I actually noticed that as well, the whole clothes thing that is. I thought that was pretty nifty.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 10:32:54 PM »
Who knows..if it were any other director I would say no..but I wouldnt put it past shyamalan to do something like that, lol
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

manojrules

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 04:22:57 PM »
Every little detail in M. Night's movies are never useless, like when Mrs. Jones talks about the old house, and later they hide in it, so it would fit in perfectly for him to do that.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 08:10:01 PM »
I actually felt like the "old house" thing was really tacked-on and stuck out.

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 09:08:50 PM »
I actually felt like the "old house" thing was really tacked-on and stuck out.

I thought it was hilarious.  Here they are, eating dinner with a complete stranger, and they are so desperate to start a conversation. So she tells them that story, and they all are like "wow, cool" and then look around, scratching their heads.  I love those little awkward moments.  And the movie is full of that: little nonverbal movements and looks that really convey a lot of humor.

manojrules

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 01:48:24 PM »
Yeah, it was tacked on, but at the same time it was funny, because it sounds like she just said some random story about her house, and then later Alma and Jess ended up in the house. but that is such an interesting theory, because I thought maybe she was just odd, and said things like, "i suppose that is the proper thing to do" and she kept assuming they would kill her, and that theory fits so perfectly with what she says, and the plot and storyline, it's a brilliant theory.

Misterkami

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 11:27:59 AM »
Just something I noticed:

-First the group comes upon a house in which everything is fake.. it is very neutral in that sense; the place does them no harm and they leave it without anything important happening to the small group itself.

-Then there is the house with the people inside, which is very hostile and clearly shows there is no help to be expected from their fellow humans.

-Then, lastly, there is the house, that in this light we could call Mother Nature's house. In this place they do get comfort, but only because Nature is like: "I suppose that's what I should do", even tho she clearly doesn't like it.

Somehow seemed like the move wanted to show the several options or directions the survivors could turn to. The material world was neutral, humans were hostile and egoistic and mother nature was willing to give untill it was too much.

any thoughts on this idea?

PS: I never saw a very conclusive moment in which it was evident that Mrs Jones had succeeded in killing herself (even tho also I assume that she did, since her long absence after peeking into the house without opening the windows first) It seemed more like a kind or rage where she and the sudden strong wind was pushing the people out of her house into the last safe place, which she had also provided herself..

Misterkami

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »
Have another one:

The whole happening ended at 9:27 A.M, about thirty-one minutes before the moment Elliot met Alma and Jess in the field. Could it be that it then ended exactly at the moment that Mrs Jones/Nature killed herself.. and in that way stopping Mother Nature's defense...?

???