The Assination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Author Topic: The Assination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford  (Read 5869 times)

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
The Assination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
« on: July 16, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »
Had been interested in seeing this for a while and watched it a few nights ago and thought it was great.

It's interesting because you know the outcome before you've started watching it (quite the opposite of Night  ;)) so you're pretty much just waiting to see how.

The night train robbery scene looks really cool. Just had a great look.

So did all the film really. Not sure how much I know about directing tbh but for me personally this film seemed like it wouldn't have been half as good in the hands of someone else.

Was just very atmospheric and very tense despite it being really slow paced and deliberate.

Yeah just seemed very deliberate.

That's a nice word.

Casy Affleck was surprisingly good as well. And, maybe even more surprising, so was Pitt.

What did everyone else think?  ;D

Unbroken

• Futuristic (After Earth)

Re: The Assination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 04:29:17 PM »
Strange, I watched this movie last week and planned to write a review for it here soon!

This movie is great, it's music and cinematography work together perfectly along with the narration and acting. It is in fact shot by the same director of photography as The Village, Roger Deakins, and it carries a similar feel in its imagery at times. Rocking chairs, window reflections, and a deep feeling of autumn in the nature shots.

It's also a good picture of the human condition, showing everything from pride to shame and near insanity in its unscrupulous characters. It shows the inevitable despair that is a consequence of bad choices, made by some men that aren't entirely unlikable. Jesse James looks back on his life, knowing he's become something he didn't want to be, yet he's too lost in his sin to turn back from it, or to even care enough.

The one flaw this movie has is it's too long. Too stretched out, and the unremarkable moments contrast too much with the incredible ones, so it doesn't flow as well as it could have.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 08:31:35 AM by Unbroken »

Unbroken

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 03:01:35 PM »
Strange, I watched this movie last week and planned to write a review for it here soon!

This movie is great, it's music and cinematography work together perfectly along with the narration and acting. It is in fact shot by the same director of photography as The Village, Roger Deakins, and it carries a similar feel in its imagery at times. Rocking chairs, window reflections, and a deep feeling of autumn in the nature shots.

It's also a good picture of the human condition, showing everything from pride to shame and near insanity in its unscrupulous characters. It shows the inevitable despair that is a consequence of bad choices, made by some men that aren't entirely unlikable. Jesse James looks back on his life, knowing he's become something he didn't want to be, yet he's too lost in his sin to turn back from it, or to even care enough.

The one flaw this movie has is it's too long. Too stretched out, and the unremarkable moments contrast too much with the incredible ones, so it doesn't flow as well as it could have.

... I might as well just remove my review :'(

Unbroken

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:28:30 AM »
No need to do that, your point of view is just as important.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 03:14:08 PM »
Finally got the chance to watch this movie. I bought the DVd. Let me say it. What an awesome movie. Awesome directing, acting, diologues, cinematography.

Brad Pitt is awesome. Truely unforgettable. This is totally classic.

shadowbender

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 05:33:52 PM »
Finally got the chance to watch this movie. I bought the DVd. Let me say it. What an awesome movie. Awesome directing, acting, diologues, cinematography.

Sounds good.

Have any of you seen "Seven Years In Tibet" with Brad Pitt? Great movie.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 06:04:20 PM »

Sounds good.

Unfortunately no. I will have to check it out, when I get the time. I haven't seen FIGHT CLUB either fully.

shadowbender

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 08:31:03 PM »

Sounds good.

Unfortunately no. I will have to check it out, when I get the time. I haven't seen FIGHT CLUB either fully.

You should definitely watch "Seven Years In Tibet". Powerful movie.

I heard "Fight Club" had subliminal messages in it. But still, I need to watch it. It looks good.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 08:43:26 PM »

Sounds good.

I heard "Fight Club" had subliminal messages in it. But still, I need to watch it. It looks good.

I will check them out.

shadowbender

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »

Sounds good.

I will check them out.

Be careful for the subliminal messages! :o

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 07:42:47 AM »
This is a good movie.I heard many people saying that it was too slow and boring,but this is a point for the atmosphere,which is quite cool and believable.
Casey Affleck did a great job in his role,probably even better than Pitt.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 11:15:33 AM »
This is a good movie.I heard many people saying that it was too slow and boring,but this is a point for the atmosphere,which is quite cool and believable.

I am in love with this movie. The location, directing, music, costumes, Brad Pitt's screen persona and Casey Aflecks wonderful and unforgettable performance is big part of beautiful movie.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 02:18:13 PM »

I am in love with this movie. The location, directing, music, costumes, Brad Pitt's screen persona and Casey Aflecks wonderful and unforgettable performance is big part of beautiful movie.

True.The music is beautiful,too.There was always the same part repeated more and more times,but it was perfectly mixed with the images.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 02:43:58 PM »

True.The music is beautiful,too.There was always the same part repeated more and more times,but it was perfectly mixed with the images.

Besides the music. I love the MONTAGE scene, narration starts. Just love it.