James Breen & M. Night Shyamalan

Author Topic: James Breen & M. Night Shyamalan  (Read 2098 times)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
James Breen & M. Night Shyamalan
« on: July 28, 2008, 02:13:15 AM »
Found a really touching blog post from Crazy Days and Night

Here:

This one is a little hard to disguise because honestly there are not that many directors names that would just pop in your head. Yes, I know you can name a million, but think of the average person. How many directors can they name? This is one of them. Oh, and he always writes his own stuff as well.

So, this director bought a farm/estate about 4 years ago. It has been in existence for awhile and so had a number of employees already there when he bought it. Even though it isn't really related to the kindness, our director has treated the employees who remained much better in the past four years then they ever were treated by the past employers.

One of the guys who worked on the estate was given some new jobs when the director took over. The director hired him to work on his films as an electrician, handyman, and bartender for parties on the sets. He even gave the guy some bit parts in his films. Well about a year ago, the worker was diagnosed with liver cancer. Over the course of the year our worker had his ups and downs but finally died last week. From the time he was initially diagnosed, our director made sure that the worker received the best care in the world wherever in the world it could be found. He made sure the worker's girlfriend could travel with the worker.

The director made phone calls, called in favors, consulted with the best doctors in the world all for his employee. No matter what he did though, it just was never enough. The director now feels he could have even done more to help, and has been in terrible shape over the past week since the worker's death.

James Breen was the SPCA guy in Lady in the Water -- "There is no place for a big dumb animal like that to hide"

R.I.P.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:22:14 AM by Dr Malcom Crowe »

Unbroken

Re: James Breen & M. Night Shyamalan
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:01:08 AM »
M Night Shyamalan is one swell guy. Say what you like about his movies, but don't even think about bashing his character.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:59:38 AM »
That's really cool.  Way to go Night, I agree with Unbroken, the guy is amazing, and he deserves a better rap.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:35:07 PM »
wOW,

Sri HK

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:25:53 PM »
Well....one of many many reasons why Shyamalan rocks!

:)
What you see isn't always what u get.

mamasan

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 12:46:47 PM »
If true, it sounds as if Breen and Shyamalan were fortunate to have known each other. During his illness, Breen was fortunate to have a compassionate, caring friend in his employer, and Shyamalan was fortunate to have the resources to help someone he cared about. I've lost several friends to illness at young ages (30s and 40s), and it is the worst. Just complete s***. There's never enough you can do, because what you really want to do is fix everything and make the person's life the same as it was before. But, since we all have to die, I say: everything we do to help a friend go through it is good and decent.

Also, I don't see Shyamalan's help as that of an employer helping an employee. Sounds like he just was helping another person, someone who happened to be a friend and employee. I kind of got ticked at a comment I read on another Web site that implied MNS wouldn't have helped if the sick person were "an equal" or "a competitor." Complete crap, if you ask me. Seems like a pretty jaded and unfair assumption to make about another person. I know diddly squat about Shyamalan other than the persona he presents to the public, but, criminy, how could someone feel they know him well enough to take such a cheap shot? Doesn't anyone read Miss Manners? (I know I know: Hollywood's not about civility, and I'm just a bumpkin in the Midwest. ... :-)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 12:52:53 PM by mamasan »