UNBREAKABLE (broken down)

Author Topic: UNBREAKABLE (broken down)  (Read 4527 times)

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
UNBREAKABLE (broken down)
« on: July 28, 2008, 02:43:16 AM »
I think this is worthy of a 300th post   ;D
So I just watched the movie again, and I have a lot to say. I won't cover everything (as there is way too much to fit into one post) but I'll try to present only fresh things that I haven't seen on here yet.

Certain lines, shapes and colors tend to appear in certain situations and around certain types of characters throughout the movie. These are pretty reliable thanks to the meticulous story boarding and camera work.
  Lines: Parallel (vertical vs horizontal? crosses?) (branching) (diagonal)
     -Vertical Parallel lines=David or hero? (many times, David is also framed in these vertical parallel lines)
     -Horizontal Parallel lines=Villain? (Elijah in particular seems to get his own special sunburst or branching pattern of lines going out from him in some shots)
     -Crosses=Hero meets villain?(appear especially in tiles and window panes, but also easels in Elijah's gallery, etc when David is in proximity of villains. Note the crossed wrists of the captive as David re-enters the bedroom to confront Orange suit man)
     -Diagonals=possibly conflict? (There are diagonals all over the place in the handshake scene at the end. Note the banisters on stairways in scenes involving conflict..cite also door marks in the village)

Circles/Spirals:
    David's family members are occasionally superimposed on circular patterns (Physical therapy scene, playground scene, orange juice scene)

Colors:
    Bright colors (green, red, yellow, orange) tend to indicate people who have done something wrong.
    Purple seems always to be around Elijah. (also the attractive girl on the train is wearing purple..she is a recruiter, sort of like Elijah)

Reflections, glass, and water have been discussed before, so I won't go into too much here, but I did notice some trends in reflections, distorted reflections and upside-down shots.
   -David usually gets clear reflections from mirrors and windows.
   -Elijah gets dark or distorted reflections (note the long scene solely reflected in the TV)
   -There are a lot of upside down shots, which usually revolve around Elijah, but not always.

Interesting Miscellany
-David uses a suicide grip when he benches.
-"soft and wet" is the wife's favorite song (as in soft only when wet)
-David Dunn keeps (but hides) newspaper clippings of his successes. Elijah keeps (and displays) newspaper clippings of his failures.
-Could the title, "Unbreakable" also be understood to apply to David's family/marital relationship?

"I see guys like you all the time in my line of work. You find someone you wanna take advantage of; tell a fantastic story and then somewhere in there you say 'all I need is your credit card number'" (He sees a lot of promises to exceptional players as he hangs around his old life at the football stadium and probably dealt with similar agents in his own football days. He shook hands with a football sports agent on the train who incidentally came to sign the corner back his son wanted him to challenge later..Did he see something he didn't like?)

Is David's son destined to be a villain?
I see a lot of horizontal lines around David's son..He also got at least one upside-down shot that I noticed. He is repeatedly testing his father (weights/gun/set up football game). Toward the end he pours himself a bright glass of ORANGE juice.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:59:20 AM by Namaste »
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Unbroken

Re: UNBREAKABLE (broken down)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:09:49 PM »
Well this is certainly very interesting. You've obviously put a lot of thought and observation into this. Most of these things I noticed before, but the stuff like the lines and symmetry are new to me. I will definitely look for these things the next time I watch Unbreakable, and share my thoughts then.

Great post - just a little complicated.  ;)

- It's alright to be afraid, David. Because this part won't be anything like a comic book. Real life doesn't fit into little boxes that were drawn for it. - Unbreakable

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 10:24:36 PM »
Most of these things I noticed before, but the stuff like the lines and symmetry are new to me. I will definitely look for these things the next time I watch Unbreakable, and share my thoughts then.

Yes, please do, and have this post open while you do ;D  You will really be able to see them once you start to see the connection.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Kuzon

• Personal Text
    Me withOUT hair...
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:14:48 PM »
Woah, I never noticed that...

:o

Namaste, you really do have super observation powers!!! ;D
ジャクソン

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:50:45 PM »
;D  did you watch it again?!

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 02:06:37 PM »
Wow cool post man  ;)

I don't really understand the horizontal/verticle stuff though  :(

(also the attractive girl on the train is wearing purple..she is a recruiter, sort of like Elijah)

Argh no way man. No way did Night intentionally make purple the "recruiters'" color.

-"soft and wet" is the wife's favorite song (as in soft only when wet)
-David Dunn keeps (but hides) newspaper clippings of his successes. Elijah keeps (and displays) newspaper clippings of his failures.

Some pretty good spots there like nice one.

Is David's son destined to be a villain?

I see a lot of horizontal lines around David's son..He also got at least one upside-down shot that I noticed. He is repeatedly testing his father (weights/gun/set up football game). Toward the end he pours himself a bright glass of ORANGE juice.

Lol I think that was more about the $$ than the filmmaking  ;D

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »
just watch the movie again..you will see what im talking about...the lines are very distinct when you know they're there. normal everyday life presents us with a lot of criss-crossing perpendicular and curved lines in no apparrent order. and this movie has nothing to do with "accidental". Just look at everything in the background (and frequently in the foreground especially in the case of our hero and his framing vertical lines)

Kuzon

• Personal Text
    Me withOUT hair...
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 01:02:57 PM »
My friend is letting me borrow a copy tonight so I can watch it again!
ジャクソン

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 06:37:02 PM »
read this post while u watch it! ;D

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 05:24:42 PM »
That's a very interesting post, very observant, I had noticed some of that stuff already, but not all of it.  I'm going to have to watch Unbreakable with this right beside me now.  By the way, he said himself that some of the shots were framed so as to look like comic book borders.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 12:18:10 AM »
cool...so it kinda makes me look like less of a crack pot ;D

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 12:05:56 PM »
Not at all, I never thought you were one.  That is one of the greatest things about Night's films, there are always deeper layers, some people get to them, others don't.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village