M.Night Shyamalan & Alfred Hitchcock

Author Topic: M.Night Shyamalan & Alfred Hitchcock  (Read 8464 times)

dana

Re: M.Night Shyamalan & Alfred Hitchcock
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 10:36:59 AM »
I find the position and usage of the cameo quiet alluring.

GothMan

• The Happening

• Personal Text
    You should close your eyes to see the Truth.
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
I've just watched "The Birds" again from Hitchcock and I must say that without this movie there would not be "Signs" or "The Happening". Awesome.
"A common misperception of me is... That all my movies have twist endings, or that they're all scary. All my movies are spiritual and all have an emotional perspective." (M. Night Shyamalan)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 01:21:35 PM »
I actually haven't seen that much of his stuff, just North By Northwest and  Charades, those and some TV show of his.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 02:18:56 PM »
I've just watched "The Birds" again from Hitchcock and I must say that without this movie there would not be "Signs" or "The Happening". Awesome.

Yeah. I am really excited that M.Night gets influenced by Alfred's work...

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 09:28:55 AM »
Hello, long time without writing here, I was some busy changing home.
Well, I had written some stuff about this in another posts. I studied Hitchcok's filmography and read some stuff about him. I can tell you that Birds was an incredible and original film in his moment and hardly understood by the critic. Hitchcok innovated too much with that film out of the "happy end" way of filming.

The Happening will be considered a better film after some time of maduration, like good wines =)

Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 01:02:17 PM »
Haha, interesting post, never thought about it that way.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 03:57:05 PM »
Hello, long time without writing here, I was some busy changing home.
Well, I had written some stuff about this in another posts. I studied Hitchcok's filmography and read some stuff about him. I can tell you that Birds was an incredible and original film in his moment and hardly understood by the critic. Hitchcok innovated too much with that film out of the "happy end" way of filming.

The Happening will be considered a better film after some time of maduration, like good wines =)

There you go. I agree. And there will be a remake, I am sure.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 12:59:38 PM »
A remake of The Happening? :-\

villager

• The Sixth Sense

• My youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 09:29:32 PM »
I think M. Night is a little bit like Alfred H. the way he directs his movies. Both people use cameos and Night tries to use suspence more than violence to scare the audience. I can tell Night has been influenced by Alfred. I just don't know if Night can make a great deal of good movies like Alfred did.
Well do have him come forward.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 01:09:17 PM »
I can, Night's still young, he's got plenty of time to take movies.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 04:18:23 PM »
I can, Night's still young, he's got plenty of time to take movies.

I agree. There is more to come.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 01:22:18 PM »
And it also seems like he's now getting into producing, so even more films with his name on them.

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 04:15:29 AM »
I still have some doubts about how it would be without Night behind the camera, just producing. But I'm of course curious of seeing one of those projects as producer, it will depend on how he controlls the production.

the most important thing is that Shyamalan mantains his integrity and doesn't let Hollywood to eat him  ;D
Hitchcok wasn't a man of Hollywood, and that let him do his own movies.

Shyamalan is right now in a second level of his career (the first one was when he did his first not so well known movies) when he's become famous, respected and admired. Now he's entering the third level, where he must defend his art against critics an continue creating good films, and he's still young to do it very well. :)
Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 01:16:24 PM »
Agreed, but he shouldn't seperate himself so much from Hollywood that it hurts him bad.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 12:13:57 PM »
I don't think he should separate himself from Hollywood at all. I don't want M.Night and I am pretty sure he doesn't want to work alone and be separated from Hollywood. M.Night Shyamalan is a director who likes to be independent. He does things in his own way, who doesn't? For example, Mel Gibson, I don't think he is separated from Hollywood, but makes his movies whatever or whichever way he likes them. Mel Gibson's production company "ICON PRODUCTIONS" is powerful. He doesn't let that title to be down in the gutter.

M.Night Shyamalan's BLINDING EDGE PICTURES should be treated by himself since he is the creator. M.Night should take it serious and release some good films. He did released and made some good films under that banner. I heard that Blinding Edge Pictures went bankrupt. If bankruptcy is true, then comes M.night Shyamalan's (Night Chronicles) this is big. This is the beginning of an era. Lets see "DREAMWORKS" for example.  NIGHT CHRONICLES will be big as Dreamworks.

If M.Night separates himself from Hollywood, than we are talking about "Roman Polanski". I have the respect with all of my heart to ROMAN. He directed some of the greatest films. THE PIANIST is a unforgettable movie. Roman also had some personal issues and he is out of the picture due to those personal reason. Also, he is separated from Hollywood. He does make movies, but separated.

I want M.Night to be in the picture not out of the picture and make great movies. If anyone disagree, post your comment.

I don't think M.Night Shyamalan's name will be on a poster if he only produces that specific project. It will be saying "Night Chronicles".

Rohan

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:15:38 PM by Rohan »