A question about Rights

Author Topic: A question about Rights  (Read 2460 times)

ALF

• The Village

• Email
A question about Rights
« on: September 11, 2008, 03:53:00 AM »
Hello,

I'd like to have your opinions and also an expert's opinion about one question:
Yesterday I saw a DVD at home and there where some trailers.One of them was Spiderwick Chronicles.

In the trailer they used Lady in the Water's theme, and I wanted to ask you:
Who's the owner of that soundtrack's Rights? tne film director, the composer or the producer? To use that track in the trailer do they have to pay one of these persons? I think is an interesting question.
As far as I know, in Spain the absolutly owner of these rights is the director, because in the spanish cinema system the law says that the owner of the film is the director, not the producer. What about United States?

Thanks
Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

Erik

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
Re: A question about Rights
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 04:11:16 AM »
Music is in almost every situation owned by the record company. In this case I think it is Warner Bros.
Though James Newton Howard composed it, he doesn't have the right to sell it to another movie. The makers of Spiderwick Chronicles must have talked with Warner Bros. (The record label, not the movie studio!) about the rights to use the music. The record label says yes more often than the studio, 'cause for them it is profit!
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 04:23:19 AM »
Thnaks Erik, perfect explanation.
The problem is that this destroy th magic of hearing that wonderful musi when you watch the film, using that music for other things make the soundtrack less unique.

Anyway, thank you so much, I haven't seen Spiderwick Chronicles, maybe the music is just used for the trailer.

Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 07:58:36 AM »
Anyway, thank you so much, I haven't seen Spiderwick Chronicles, maybe the music is just used for the trailer.
Happens a lot that a trailer has different music (most of the time pop-songs. I remember the trailer of Smokin' Aces having Assassin by Muse. The song is not used in the movie, only in the trailer)
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:08:57 AM »

Yeah, the music is only in the trailer. It's become a popular piece for fantasy trailers, it was also used for several of the Golden Compass trailers.

Usually it's a mix between the record company (they control the rights to the recording) and the publishing company (they control the rights to the actual 'music')

In the case of Lady in the Water, the record company is Decca Records, a division of Universal Music Classics Group. The publisher is Warner-Olive Music.