Unbreakable Sequel: A may be?

Author Topic: Unbreakable Sequel: A may be?  (Read 14740 times)

Sri HK

• Futuristic (After Earth)

Unbreakable Sequel: A may be?
« on: September 18, 2008, 11:14:16 PM »
Samuel L. Jackson, M. Night Shyamalan On The ?Unbreakable? Sequel That Never Was, But Might Be

Love his work or hate it, there?s no denying that M. Night Shyamalan always seems to be one step ahead of the curve with his films ? from the twist no one saw coming in ?The Sixth Sense,? to finding new ways to scare the crap outta moviegoers with ?Signs? and ?The Village.? And he was even years ahead of the current comic book movie boom (for better and for worse) when ?Unbreakable? hit theaters in 2000.

So that being said, is it time for Shyamalan to take a step back for a change and revisit his superhero/supervillain film with a sequel, given the rampant popularity of the superhero genre?

?I tell you I get asked about it all the time, so it?s not [an idea] I ever forget,? Shyamalan told MTV News. ?I genuinely just asked this question the other day ? should I make ?Unbreakable 2???

If Shyamalan does indeed decide to revisit ?Unbreakable,? he?ll have at least one of the original film?s stars ready and willing to join up ? Samuel L. Jackson, who played the very-breakable villain, Elijah Price, in the movie.

?Every time I see [Shyamalan], he says, ?I?ve written this thing for you,? so I say, ?why are you always doing these movies I?m not in??? said Jackson.

According to both Shyamalan and Jackson, ?Unbreakable? was originally intended to be a trilogy, but a series of bad reviews as well as fan and film critic misconception of Shyamalan?s work quickly tabled the idea of a possible franchise. As Jackson put it, ?He was a victim of what Quentin [Tarrantino] was a victim of. ?Jackie Brown? is a great movie, but it?s not ?Pulp Fiction 2.? ?Unbreakable? is a great movie, but it?s not ?I see f**king dead people.??

Likewise, Shyamalan has his own take on the lack of a sequel. ?I made the mistake of getting caught up in the hype of the immediate reaction of the movie, which, experience has shown me, is not accurate to any of my movies,? he explained. ?And If I had been more confident and said ?I believe in that movie, I love that movie, and I should just go start writing the second one,? that would?ve been the right move. I?ve still been thinking about it a lot and wonder if it?s too late.?

Shyamalan even sat down with Jackson during the film?s production to discuss where his character could and would go had the film spawned a sequel.

?Back then we talked about what the rest would entail,? recalled Jackson. ?I broke out of the mental institution. I?m out there doing stuff and ["Unbreakable" co-star Bruce Willis' "David Dunn" is] after me. It?s very cool. He still wears that rain thing, that windbreaker.?

So the idea seems to be there, and Jackson?s ready to break out the funky hair-do(n?t) and purple suit, so ? bottom line ? will we see an ?Unbreakable 2,? Mr. Shyamalan?

?I do love the [comic book movie] genre, I just wanna make sure that I?m able to express who I am,? explained Shyamalan. ?I don?t want to get so lost in the subject that I have to neuter everything that?s me in it, so maybe ?Unbreakable? is the comic book thing I should do ? I keep coming back to that.?

We?ll take that as a solid ?maybe.?

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/09/18/samuel-l-jackson-m-night-shyamalan-on-the-unbreakable-sequel-that-never-was-but-might-be/
What you see isn't always what u get.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: Unbreakable Sequel: A may be?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 02:23:26 PM »
I don't think shyamalan will do a sequel..especially not with the intention of making "another comic book movie". unbreakable was never a comic book movie of the type we are seeing today. It was a story about humanity, not a bunch of special effects strung together by pop comedy like the superhero movies we're seeing these days. I hope if shyamalan does do a sequel, that he does it out of irony. i mean can u see unbreakable going from a guy trying to figure out his place in the world to bruce willis running around smashing cars and breaking into secret headquarters etc?
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 02:28:50 PM »
Sometimes Comic book stories doesn't have to have special effects. I think Unbreakable was beyond any comic book. It was an original idea of M.Night Shyamalan. I am sure that a guy like "Frank Miller" was impressed by UNBREAKABLE. I saw him talking on the DVD of Unbreakable.

I don't want M.Night to make a sequel to UNBREAKABLE, but since I know that he knows what to do and how to make. I will not disagree with him on making a sequel to Unbreakable.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 12:51:03 PM »
Remember that Unbreakable was only the first part of the story, so he could take the second part, maybe revamp it a little, that kind of thing.  I'd like to see a sequel, but I don't think it will happen.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 06:52:59 AM »
An Unbreakable sequel would be a disaster.

Like has already been said no-one wants to see Dunn going around destroying stuff ? la Hulk or something.

If that happened I would lose all faith in well just everything in the world really.

I'd just be a shell of a person.

What would happen? Audrey get kidnapped? Aww man I cant explain how much I don't want this to happen.

Unbreakable was just a perfect story. I didn't feel I wanted anything more from it at the end.

Was anyone left thinking "i can't wait to see what happens next?"

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 08:52:04 AM »
I stated this before, but I'll do it again.

I don't see Mr. Glass as an enemy for David Dunn. Mr. Glass did terrible things to the world to forfill his quest, to find the unbreakable person. Now that he has found him, he is done. He was supposed to be a guide for David, but in the twist we found out that Elijah is a terrible person. The only thing that I can think of is that Mr. Glass breaks out of jail and runs away, but not that he contineus his evil deeds.
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:00:08 AM »
My opinion is that Mr glass could be a villian, at least at the beginning. He was looking for his oposite, the unbreakable guy, and now that both know they roles, Mr Glass feels ready for the game, and I think he wants to play. He has just killed, so once he has taken that way, there's no reason to stop, maybe just his motivation changes, and now he wants to know how to break the unbreakable.  :o
Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 10:03:11 AM »
To break the unbreakable:
Use his Kryptonite, the water!
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 02:37:48 PM »
I stated this before, but I'll do it again.

I don't see Mr. Glass as an enemy for David Dunn. Mr. Glass did terrible things to the world to forfill his quest, to find the unbreakable person. Now that he has found him, he is done. He was supposed to be a guide for David, but in the twist we found out that Elijah is a terrible person. The only thing that I can think of is that Mr. Glass breaks out of jail and runs away, but not that he contineus his evil deeds.

But if you pay attention to the movie, Mr. Glass makes it pretty clear that he is the arch nemesis of David.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 03:46:48 PM »
This whole UNBREAKABLE sequel things sounds really scary. I don't want any sequel to it. If M.Night really wants to make one, then I know M.Night knows what to do.

No idea comes to my mind what could or who could David Dunn be fighting against.

All I think is may couple of other unbreakable individuals who realized the power of David Dunn and David Dunn fights them...

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 12:57:10 PM »
I'm still waiting for a super-hero movie where there isn't a super-villain.  Why couldn't a sequel to Unbreakable be just that.  Mr. Glass never shows up in the movie, he is just behind a lot of stuff that happens to David, stuff that shakes his faith in himself and his family.  Stuff like that.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 12:52:24 AM »
u cant have a good story without an antagonist...and besides..mr glas isnt very super for a villain

cnightx

• Praying with Anger

• Personal Text
    The truth is out there
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 07:16:50 PM »
A movie-based sequel would not work b/c the mainstream "here we are now, entertain us" crowds would expect "Heroes" type stuff. Although a part of me wants David Dunn and Elijah to show up in the series at some point, lol... hmm....

How about a graphic novel as a sequel instead?

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 08:27:06 AM »
I would take that, I love graphic novels and comic books, always wanted him to do a comic book about David Dunn.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 11:35:30 PM »
yeah i think mnight could do a really good graphic novel, since he stoyboards everything anyway.

( *sings* actin stupid and contagious)