Is this going to be big and successful as "LOTR" trilogy?

Author Topic: Is this going to be big and successful as "LOTR" trilogy?  (Read 16619 times)

ForeignBelle14

• LITW

Re: Is this going to be big and successful as "LOTR" trilogy?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »
I've seen both sides of the spectrum.
I've a seen a vlogger call it 'the next LOTR' and I've seen another that stated that it'll be 'bigger than Harry Potter'.
I've also seen comments saying that 'it'll be horrible' or an 'epic fail'.
While I rather it be the first, but I'll just wait and see. If it's done right...there's definetly a possibility.

Zozaya

• Signs

• Personal Text
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing?
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 06:30:27 PM »
Roran man!!!! WHY haven't you watched Avatar!!!! I hadn't either until I heard M.Night would direct it, so i watched the whole series and man it RULES!!!!!!!! (i'm 17 by the way, so it ain't nly a kids show)

Seriously dude, you're missing out...

WATCH IT!!!!
Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing?

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 06:35:13 PM »
M.Night is a very talented film maker. Paramount looked at his resume and decided to give him such a huge project. I am counting on M.Night. I am sure he knows what he does.

Even though it doesn't do anything good close to LOTR, The Dark Knight or Harry Potter. I want the movie to be a quality and well made movie.

I still haven't seen AVATAR, I know I am missing "Zozaya".

Leggy

• Personal Text
    Appa! Yip! Yip!
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 11:10:29 PM »
hmm..
i really dont know.
all i know that this movie is going to be EPIC! but i can beat LOTR.
i have faith in M.Night

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 10:03:18 AM »
LOTR is my all time favorite. No doubt about it. I want TLA to be successful as LOTR.

shadowbender

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 11:14:57 AM »
Lord Of The Rings Trilogy is one of my favorite movies of all time no questions asked. Peter Jackon directed them without any mistake. I knew the books had a huge fan base. I have never seen any single episode of "The Last Airbender", but I have read the synopsis. Its original and its going to be great when its out as a movie.

I know The Last Airbender also have a huge fan base around the world. No doubt about it, I know M.Night knows what to do and how to make all the three movies.

My answer to my question is that it will be successful more than the "LORDS OF THE RING" movies. I just wanted to know that what your guys' thoughts and answer to my question.

Rohan

"The Lord of the Rings" is one of my favorite movies as well. I think Shyamalan's view on "The Last Airbender" is very good. You can tell that he fell in love with the "Avatar" universe. I very much believe that this will be as successful and epic as the "LOTR" trilogy.

But then again, I refer back to an interview with Shyamalan when he said that it's not like "LOTR" or "Harry Potter". He said that "The Last Airbender" is its own thing.

But, I still believe it "The Last Airbender" will have similiar success to that of "LOTR". It will, indeed, be amazing.

Oh, and Rohan, I'm guessing your name is related to the city of Rohan in "LOTR", I am correct? Or is it some crazy coincidence?! :o
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 11:17:39 AM by shadowbender »

DrKay

• The Village

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 02:39:30 PM »
It could be like the Matrix Trilogy, where it starts out with people thinking its a very interesting idea, but in the end, they will lose interest.

You have to remember that there were big time directors and set designers for Lord of the Rings, rich ones who were allow to justify conventions and the likes.

I however, believe that TV watchers have a huger mass of people than book readers. When LOTR first came out, it were the book readers who helped to keep it in the box office. The Last Airbender probably has a larger and more importantly: a modern fanbase that could clearly justify the movie being big.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 03:00:09 PM »
Lord Of The Rings Trilogy is one of my favorite movies of all time no questions asked. Peter Jackon directed them without any mistake. I knew the books had a huge fan base. I have never seen any single episode of "The Last Airbender", but I have read the synopsis. Its original and its going to be great when its out as a movie.

I know The Last Airbender also have a huge fan base around the world. No doubt about it, I know M.Night knows what to do and how to make all the three movies.

My answer to my question is that it will be successful more than the "LORDS OF THE RING" movies. I just wanted to know that what your guys' thoughts and answer to my question.

Rohan

"The Lord of the Rings" is one of my favorite movies as well. I think Shyamalan's view on "The Last Airbender" is very good. You can tell that he fell in love with the "Avatar" universe. I very much believe that this will be as successful and epic as the "LOTR" trilogy.

But then again, I refer back to an interview with Shyamalan when he said that it's not like "LOTR" or "Harry Potter". He said that "The Last Airbender" is its own thing.

But, I still believe it "The Last Airbender" will have similiar success to that of "LOTR". It will, indeed, be amazing.

Oh, and Rohan, I'm guessing your name is related to the city of Rohan in "LOTR", I am correct? Or is it some crazy coincidence?! :o

Agree.

Coincidence on the name. Everyone say it. Its coincidence for sure...

shadowbender

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 05:47:35 PM »

Rohan

Agree.

A coincidence, seriously? :o Oh my gosh that's weird... :D

Well, I liked all three of the "Matrix" films. They were all awesome and epic. Yeah, but most people lost interest by the time the third movie came out. But for "Avatar", it's hard to lose interest in such a huge season like the third. So I think it will indeed be like "LOTR", with a spectacular box-office performance and critics and viewers alike loving the film trilogy.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 08:06:21 PM »

Rohan

Agree.

A coincidence, seriously? :o Oh my gosh that's weird... :D

Well, I liked all three of the "Matrix" films. They were all awesome and epic. Yeah, but most people lost interest by the time the third movie came out. But for "Avatar", it's hard to lose interest in such a huge season like the third. So I think it will indeed be like "LOTR", with a spectacular box-office performance and critics and viewers alike loving the film trilogy.

I know. When I saw LOTR and they were mentioning my name I was like hold on... thats my name. I started liking my name even more.

I love the second part of Matrix trilogy. Never seen the third one and there was no hype or any good review about the 3rd one.

DrKay

• The Village

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 07:25:57 AM »
Actually, if you do tihnk about it, its actually very possible for it to be big if it makes a trilogy.

I mean like the Harry Potter series ((I know it has more than three movies, but honestly, people began becoming tired after the third movie, they pushed their luck there.))

Harry Potter was a book series mean't for children, but in the end, mature and older people began reading the series as well. Then they made a movie series, and its a big hit.
Avatar is in the exact same boat so far.

Also, the main difference between trilogies like LOTR and The Matrix is that, in latents terms; LOTR is more medieval whilst The Matrix is modern/futuristic. We're on a borderline at the moment where people are starting to enjoy what might become the future, although we still have a clinging interest in medieval or past-like environments with magic. Avatar fits that description.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 07:28:25 AM by DrKay »

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 10:26:23 AM »
Actually, if you do tihnk about it, its actually very possible for it to be big if it makes a trilogy.

I mean like the Harry Potter series ((I know it has more than three movies, but honestly, people began becoming tired after the third movie, they pushed their luck there.))

Harry Potter was a book series mean't for children, but in the end, mature and older people began reading the series as well. Then they made a movie series, and its a big hit.
Avatar is in the exact same boat so far.

Also, the main difference between trilogies like LOTR and The Matrix is that, in latents terms; LOTR is more medieval whilst The Matrix is modern/futuristic. We're on a borderline at the moment where people are starting to enjoy what might become the future, although we still have a clinging interest in medieval or past-like environments with magic. Avatar fits that description.

Well put.

I have never seen or been a fan of Harry Potter. I know Potter movies made tons of money. If TLA will be successful like potter movies I will be satisfied enough. M.Night is going to be even more big name...

Matt800

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 10:38:09 AM »
then again, Harry Potter is waaaay more popular than Avatar. Avatar will have to rely on advertising and making a flat out great first movie to be as successful as Harry Potter. The fan base is not enough alone.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 11:16:38 AM »
then again, Harry Potter is waaaay more popular than Avatar. Avatar will have to rely on advertising and making a flat out great first movie to be as successful as Harry Potter. The fan base is not enough alone.

What do you think about the TLA's financial gross position when it hits the big screens?

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 12:09:25 PM »
I think it is likely to be in the $170-$230 million range.