Special Features

Author Topic: Special Features  (Read 6236 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Special Features
« on: October 09, 2008, 12:49:32 PM »
I bought The Happening and watched the special features, the cover is incredibly misleading, there's not that much extra footage.  The special features themselves though are pretty interesting.  The usual kind of stuff for the most part.  I love how relaxed Night is, and how he is willing to wait for that perfect moment to say "action".  He seems to get a lot more done with his time then other directors.  I also have a new respect for Night.  I don't watch slasher films, which just have gore to have gore, and I was a little nervous about The Happening before I saw it.  Watching the deleted scenes with the introduction by NIght was very interesting.  The extended lion attack, and the black teenager (I forget his name) who gets shot in the head were amped up and more disturbing, but also more gory.  Night was talking and saying that it pulled you too much out of the moment.  What impressed me most was that he said that there is a line between scary and neccesary for the film and then there is just grotesque.  When he first filmed he put everything in and felt that it was too nasty, gory, and grotesque, that it had crossed the line between normal and then just sadistic.  I now have even more respect for Night.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: Special Features
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 01:09:13 PM »
I think the version a lotof people saw was edited more than what i saw. I remember longer scenes when i went to the theater to see it..then i watched it online and noticed some stuff was cut out..like the shorter lion scene, and a shorter version of the girl stabbing herself in the neck..maybe i saw a version in theaters that wasnt meant to go out...I also noticed camera shades and boom mics in a lot of scenes, so maybe we got an original version without cuts  :x
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 02:42:14 PM »
Deleted scene with Alma and Elliote fight. Really long scene, glad it was deleted. Ending was funny, when Alma comes out. The guy is actually peeing. Shows how irresponsible some people can be or all of us. Peeing on the plants... of course they will take a revenge.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 02:44:21 PM »
Rohan: I actually liked the opening scene. It was a bit long, but I think a shorter version of it would have helped a lot.

Namaste: I highly doubt you saw the original version without cuts  ;). What you saw was the same film I'm sure, your memory is just tricking you. After watching the movie and thinking it over, discussing it, etc -- you likely distorted the memory slightly. Seeing the boom mics and camera shades just means you went to a theater with a lazy projectionist. Most of Night's films are open matte (see wiki), your projectionist just framed the picture wrong.

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
I honestly think...

This is my prediction:

If they had kept the opening scene that was deleted, the movie would have made AT LEAST 50 million more dollars.

I know it's strange and it's the first time I COMPLETELY, 100% Disagreed with Shyamalan but that opening scene NEEDED to be there.

THAT WOULD have clarified so much and the whole journey Alma and Elliott take would have been so much more meaningful.

I LOVED THAT OPENING SCENE. THEY SHOULD HAVE KEPPPPTTTT IT. IT SET THE STAGE UP SO WELLLLLLL.

the rest of the features were normal. i liked the "elements of a scene" one a lot.

but seriously,

that was an amazing opening.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:05:23 PM »
nope..im not distorting the lion scene or the neck stab scene..i noticed that before anyone mentioned anything about dlete scenes on here..a long time before anyone had seen the dvd.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

GrOoDmAn

• Wide Awake

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 11:41:36 PM »
I completely agree with you, Cleveland, in regards to the opening scene.  I'm still in shock that Shyamalan cut it from the final film.  It set their relationship up so well and it even allowed us to have a better understanding why Elliot and Alma were acting the way they were... like children.  I loved how Mark was carrying the box of cereal, like a little kid carrying around a stuffed animal.  Also, it would have made some of Elliot's comments throughout the rest of the film make so much more sense, including when he's talking to Julian outside of the school and says "Why is everyone saying that?" and "again with the wedding", and also at the end when they're at Mrs. Jones' house and Elliot says the line "you want me to protect you, this is the only way I know how".  The mood ring and Alma's pregnancy test at the end also would have been given more emotional impact had he left that opening scene in the film.  And it is also my first time that I completely disagreed with Night.  It's the only thing I could think about when I viewed the film again after having watched the deleted scenes, so disappointed he took it out.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 12:10:47 AM »
yeah ive disagreed with other scenes Night took out...most strongly with the "pipes" scene in the village.  He could have used some deleted scenes as flashbacks in some slow part of the movie..

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 05:32:24 AM »
You LUCKY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

Here in Spain we have to wait to the DVD, I really don't know when it comes, but I'm really waiting for it, because I'd like to see all the stuff and have more information, just to continue fighting with all my friends. Man, you know how difficult is to convince 10 persons (all those who came with me to the theater to see the movie) that this is a good movie?

Since we saw the film, each time they see a bad movie the typical sentence is "I've never seen something worse since The Happening", and I still defend the movie against all of them.

About the different versions and cutes in the film, I've seen it in the spanish, german and english versions. The spanish and english version where the same, with the same cuts and scenes. Just the german was different, with any drop of bllod and many scenes cut.
Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

San Jose Shark

• The Sixth Sense

• SJSharks.com
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 05:20:55 PM »
Every deleted scene should have been in the movie and if it makes it nc 17 so be it. But it would have made the film even better.
GO SHARKS!

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 05:29:28 PM »
I didn't care for the music recital. I don't like the way it was filmed. It wasn't scary at all.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 02:21:59 PM »
I didn't care for the music recital. I don't like the way it was filmed. It wasn't scary at all.

I agree. It was not scary at all. I m glad it was deleted.

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 03:04:06 PM »

I agree. It was not scary at all. I m glad it was deleted.

I also agree.  And, I don't know, it just seemed weird that the toxin affected everyone in the room, but the parent recording was able to focus on the violinist.  Just seemed odd.

As for the rest of the scenes, some of them I think would have helped a little bit.  The opening scene might have been nice if it was a tad shorter.  And the extended scene with Jarrod would have been a nice touch seeing as how a lot of people complained that the movie didn't really need an R rating.

Overall, I thought the special features were a little weak.  A lot of them centered around one scene.  And the "Elements of a Scene" thing was really, really dull.  But, the positive side of all this is that I now finally own the movie.  Which is why I bought it in the first place.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »
Yeah, special features have never been Night's strong point, but the movie itself is really good.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 02:17:58 PM »
I also have to wait for the dvd release,but it'll come soon.
However,I don't know what you mean with "original version",but I'm sure I saw the not-edited one,because the movie show me every single detail :-X
"Welcome to The Cove"