Got Riddles?

Author Topic: Got Riddles?  (Read 24708 times)

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: Got Riddles?
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2008, 11:45:13 PM »
I like listening to music, ?drawing?, and watching TV

I guessed on that.

Someone else post a riddle if I got it right, I got nothing right now

Pretty impressive. I'm good at language for an isolated american, but I'm nothing special compared to europeans.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2008, 08:38:23 AM »
oh and german is similar to english
I wouldn't count on that...
Try to translate my signature!
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2008, 10:16:26 AM »
Actually, german is quite similar to english..it's a close root. As for the signature (don't laugh..im not using any kind of translator and i've only had one german lesson)
[Ding - Dong] Meine Damen und Herren am Gleis zwei, wilkommen in Dresden-Neustadt
-ding dong- Ladies and gentlemen..something...welcome to dresden
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

ACDCguy

• The Happening

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2008, 08:27:16 PM »
Yeah German is close to English. So is Dutch, and Frisian. Collectively they are known as the West Germanic languages closely related to Northern Germanic (Scandinavian) languages. Frisian is the closest language to english. The reason English speakers have more difficulty understanding their closest form of language to english is because 41% of our vocab is of french origin. During the times of when Middle english was being spoken, Normandy (of the French) over took England. They spoke Norman, a dialect of french. After a couple of years the dialect changed to a new dialect called Anglo-Norman. After the fall of Normandy, England was ruled by it's domestic people again with english back as it's dominate language. After awhile Anglo-Norman french, and Middle English formed together and became Modern day English.
The reason that todays english isn't classified in the same family of languages as french is because it still retains western germanic grammar and 25% of it's vocab.

Frisian is the closest language to English and Scots is a really distinct english dialect that it's regarded as it's own language. Try to translate this sentence into english, both are the same sentence but one is in a dialect of frisian called West Frisican, and the other is in Scots.

West Frisican: De jonge streake it famke om it kin en tute har op 'e wangen.
Scots: The laddie straikit the lassie oan the chin an gied hir a smouch oan the chouks.

AIR NOMAD

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2008, 10:04:57 PM »
complete guess with no translator

The man (unsure on this word, maybe striked or stroked) the woman on the chin and kissed her on the cheeks.

(I think stroked would make more sense than striked lol)

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2008, 10:24:19 PM »
Yeah, I'd go with that..except i would say boy instead of man and girl instead of woman..and struck/hit   ???

;D jonge looks like young or youth, and lassie looks like its just a feminine version of laddie

AIR NOMAD

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2008, 10:28:01 PM »
but the boy Struck/hit the girl then kissed her? that doesn't really make sense, I'm leaning more towards stroked. Oh, and I think you're right about it being a boy and girl, since it laddie and lassie

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
well it certainly sounds scottish to strike her then kiss her lol..and it seems like a famous saying.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2008, 07:43:09 AM »
Scots: The laddie straikit the lassie oan the chin an gied hir a smouch oan the chouks.
This looks more like a combination of Dutch, Flemish and Fries (Small language, spoken in Friesland, a province in the north of The Netherlands).
Where is West Frisican spoken? In the UK or is it in fact the 'Fries' I was talking about?
We can breath in space,

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2008, 01:17:13 PM »
lol, i wish someone would tell us if we got our translaions right

what about your siggy, erik?

ACDCguy

• The Happening

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2008, 03:37:06 PM »
You guys all got close but here is the real translation.

English: The boy stroked the girl on the chin and kissed her on the cheeks.

ACDCguy

• The Happening

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2008, 03:44:07 PM »
This looks more like a combination of Dutch, Flemish and Fries (Small language, spoken in Friesland, a province in the north of The Netherlands).
Where is West Frisican spoken? In the UK or is it in fact the 'Fries' I was talking about?

To answer your question, "Fries" is West Frisican

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »
You guys all got close but here is the real translation.

English: The boy stroked the girl on the chin and kissed her on the cheeks.

yeah we got all that between the two of us lol (air nomand and i)

AIR NOMAD

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2008, 06:44:38 PM »
Yes! I knew it wasn't striked/struck!
Stroked makes much more sense

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2008, 03:14:10 AM »
lol, i wish someone would tell us if we got our translaions right

what about your siggy, erik?
O sorry, it's platform 2.
Ladies and gentlemen on platform 2, welcome to Dresden-Neustadt (one of the larger stations in Dresden, Germany)

Moderators, can you split this topic in two. One riddle, one language topic? Thank you!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:16:12 AM by Erik »
We can breath in space,