A New Era For M. Night: Scripts that Reflect A New Age in Cinema, The 2010s

Author Topic: A New Era For M. Night: Scripts that Reflect A New Age in Cinema, The 2010s  (Read 3812 times)

Theo

• Praying with Anger

• Personal Text
    "As Above, So Below"
    • www.spaceweather.com
    • Email
I think a new era is ahead for the cinema. As we close in on the new decade of the 2010s, we are seeing a transition from the baby boomer generation to Generation X, and this has already been seen this decade with movies that reflect more mystical messages that seek to encompass more of a global, and universal outlook. Deeper films that don't substitute "action" for "drama" but include them, as well as heightening supernatural horror/suspense/thrillers with intense cinematography combined with strong soundtracks.

I believe the years 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and onwards will bring about more movie-goers seeking to find a deeper connection to what it means to be human & spiritual in this new century. The further we get from the issues of the 20th century, the more we are looking forward, and this is the new era just ahead.

M. Night is a member of Generation X and I think the projects he's been gravitating towards are just the tip of the iceberg. The "Sixth Sense" was a sure sign of this, and we should be seeing more action in his films without sacrficing the deep messages his movies often deliver.

As a screenwriter, I've been working on such a film that does exactly that. One of my favorites to direct it would be M. Night. Because I was born & raised in Philadelphia, and live here now after traveling the world, I can see why he prefers to film here and not exclusively in California. There are some wonderful historical areas in Philadelphia, and Washington DC that should be explored much deeper in American films with a story that delivers a universal world message AND a cinema experience. I think I've got one such screenplay.

My new screenplay mixes a great story with strong visuals, and a driving soundtrack that meets what I think would make a great supernatural thriller for theses changing times. We need a new film that makes people FEEL again; especially after the last eight years. I've got that kind of film in the works, and I think it will excite American and world moviegoers.

This is a supernatural film that is practical, yet thrilling, and combines M. Night's magical cinematography, strong core writing, and a very particular soundtrack into a unusual story that delivers, by the end, a very strong message of humanity and togetherness that the world hasn't felt in a very long time. We need this kind of film, the world does, especially those who have been driven to hate others because of religious and cultural differences over the past eight years. I haven't submitted the idea, or pitch to M. Night, but am confident that after he sees it, it will greatly excite his imagination. I'm down in Olde City now, where I write, because I want the city's energies to feed directly into this script. I'm determined to get M. Night an Oscar. All I want is the Screenwriter's award, something I've dreamed of since I was a kid. I'm going to get it too. Just watch.

There are many actors who love to work with him, and I like that, because the energy of whatever is written must resonate with the actors from the director's energy and the screenwriter's words. A good fit of screenwriter to a director like M. Night would be a shared vision of the world, the universe, and a mission to completely engage, through cinema, the filmviewer into the story. M. Night is the kind of director I like for this.

I have yet to see a film where the soundtrack plays a strong role in one of M. Night's films, but I think I have one here with my screenplay and story. He is one of the few directors I would trust to work with, as he has that great mix of imagination and energy, and touch, which in his recent films hasn't come off as times are changing. But, considering the world transits coming around since he directed "The Sixth Sense" soon in 2010-11, I think M. Night may soon find the film that gets him back on top of the directing world. I'm very confident of that, which is why my new script will be offered to him first: he's got what it takes to make it happen.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:45:58 PM by Theo »
Theo

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Nice. Well put. I enjoyed reading your post. You sound really passionate and really daring. I pray for you to reach your goal. I think I can understand your main point of view. I have been thinking all this for many years now. There are so many unique ideas lost and puzzled in our brains and if you are a visionary person and naturally gifted of putting ideas together in your brain and heart, I think that special tale will be on 120 or 300 pages. It could be a script or a novel.

Writing brings peace to my mind and to my soul. When I sit and write I am stuck with the idea and character and it becomes hard for me to let go of the characters.

M.Night is a unique writer. He writes from heart. THE SIXTH SENSE is a masterpiece. For him is just the beginning of an era. You are right.

To bring M.Night back on top of the directing world is just a mind away. I adore all of his works with all of my heart. I enjoyed watching THE VILLAGE, THE HAPPENING, LADY IN THE WATER. Unique characters and tales. There is somewhere that idea is flying and that needs to be in M.Night's hand.

I don't want to sound arrogant or self-praised. I would love to hand my script to M.Night. My sister tells me to try hard first to get to M.night's office.

My story doesn't have visuals. It has a direct point of view. A point of view from the characters view. A character thats new to cinema. I love to reveal more, but I cannot. When I sit, I get along with this character, he is emotional, he is sad and he is totally broken. To tell you the truth, I want to stand one day on that stage and get my award and I am determined to achieve that dream. There is nothing impossible.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
So what's your script about?
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
So what's your script about?

Are you asking me?

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
No, I'm asking Theo, he just seemed to do a lot talking about how great his script was, while on the side bashing the current political administration, but didn't really say anything.

Theo

• Praying with Anger

• Personal Text
    "As Above, So Below"
    • www.spaceweather.com
    • Email
No, I'm asking Theo, he just seemed to do a lot talking about how great his script was, while on the side bashing the current political administration, but didn't really say anything.

Oh jeez. I'm not going to give you my script, or its premise, that's for sure. And, if you think I was "bashing the current political administration then you've haven't seen anything yet. Give that one a rest and stop being so sensitive and close-minded. If that is all you see in what I wrote then obviously Mr. Glass, your eyes are not open. Sorry, but that dog of yours just doesn't hunt.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:41:23 AM by Theo »
Theo

Theo

• Praying with Anger

• Personal Text
    "As Above, So Below"
    • www.spaceweather.com
    • Email
Nice. Well put. I enjoyed reading your post. You sound really passionate and really daring. I pray for you to reach your goal. I think I can understand your main point of view. I have been thinking all this for many years now. There are so many unique ideas lost and puzzled in our brains and if you are a visionary person and naturally gifted of putting ideas together in your brain and heart, I think that special tale will be on 120 or 300 pages. It could be a script or a novel.

Writing brings peace to my mind and to my soul. When I sit and write I am stuck with the idea and character and it becomes hard for me to let go of the characters.

M.Night is a unique writer. He writes from heart. THE SIXTH SENSE is a masterpiece. For him is just the beginning of an era. You are right.

To bring M.Night back on top of the directing world is just a mind away. I adore all of his works with all of my heart. I enjoyed watching THE VILLAGE, THE HAPPENING, LADY IN THE WATER. Unique characters and tales. There is somewhere that idea is flying and that needs to be in M.Night's hand.

I don't want to sound arrogant or self-praised. I would love to hand my script to M.Night. My sister tells me to try hard first to get to M.night's office.

My story doesn't have visuals. It has a direct point of view. A point of view from the characters view. A character thats new to cinema. I love to reveal more, but I cannot. When I sit, I get along with this character, he is emotional, he is sad and he is totally broken. To tell you the truth, I want to stand one day on that stage and get my award and I am determined to achieve that dream. There is nothing impossible.

Without writers films cannot be made Rohan, so be as daring as you can, and then more so. Writers must always push on and to be as confident, and far-reaching as they possibly can. Although you say your story doesn't have visuals, I cannot imagine writing without them. For me, vision is everything a writer must have to produce, since the view chiefly uses vision to identify with the film and the characters we create.
Theo

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22

Without writers films cannot be made Rohan, so be as daring as you can, and then more so. Writers must always push on and to be as confident, and far-reaching as they possibly can. Although you say your story doesn't have visuals, I cannot imagine writing without them. For me, vision is everything a writer must have to produce, since the view chiefly uses vision to identify with the film and the characters we create.

I agree. Writers create jobs. And speaking of visual, I meant Visual Effects and stuff. My story doesn't need any. I visioned everything as a writer to bring these characters on the paper.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
Uh, Theo, I don't know what your going on about, someone seems a little testy.  A lot of the stuff in your post just seemed to be saying the last eight years have been a disaster, now maybe I'm reading into it a little too much, which is very possible (though you yourself said that you haven't even gotten started about bashing the administration, so it would appear that I'm not reading into it too much).  I am being neither sensitive or closed minded, since there is nothing to be sensitive or closed minded about in your post.  That's not all I saw in your post, I also saw a lot of talk about how your script will be the next great movie for Night, and will be a phenomenon, which seems a little bold to predict.  So I guess this might be a little to refute the comment that my eyes are not open.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:38:24 PM by Mr_Glass.1 »

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
I hope Theo your script is not like MATRIX movies. I mean lots of Visual Effeccts and Special Effects, cause M.Night don't usually direct them.

Theo

• Praying with Anger

• Personal Text
    "As Above, So Below"
    • www.spaceweather.com
    • Email
Re: A New Era For M. Night: Scripts that Reflect A New Age in Cinema, The 2010s
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 11:00:25 PM »
Uh, Theo, I don't know what your going on about, someone seems a little testy.  A lot of the stuff in your post just seemed to be saying the last eight years have been a disaster, now maybe I'm reading into it a little too much, which is very possible (though you yourself said that you haven't even gotten started about bashing the administration, so it would appear that I'm not reading into it too much).  I am being neither sensitive or closed minded, since there is nothing to be sensitive or closed minded about in your post.  That's not all I saw in your post, I also saw a lot of talk about how your script will be the next great movie for Night, and will be a phenomenon, which seems a little bold to predict.  So I guess this might be a little to refute the comment that my eyes are not open.

From a writer's perspective Mr. Glass, being "bold" is a requirement for visonaries and writers. Just how do you think great scripts get written, and great films get made? It's not done by being wimpy.
Theo

Theo

• Praying with Anger

• Personal Text
    "As Above, So Below"
    • www.spaceweather.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 11:02:17 PM »
I hope Theo your script is not like MATRIX movies. I mean lots of Visual Effeccts and Special Effects, cause M.Night don't usually direct them.

The key behind every single film is excellent writing, that is the heart of all films. We've seen too much an emphasis on visual & special effects, although they can and should be used in film, they should always be used moderately, and always in concert with a very good script.
Theo

done.oh

• Unbreakable

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 04:44:30 AM »
I must say Theo, you seem to very confident that your script will become a phenomenal movie.  That's a good thing since screenwriters should keep an open mind and explore the possibilities.  Your posts boasts of your script to be the next big thing with a outside of the box approach not to mention being very daring.  And obviously, it'll have visual effects since it'll be exploring some sort of supernatural phenomena.  This "generation X" you call it, may not always be what people are looking for.  Sure movies like the Sixth Sense have been accepted with much success but don't forget High School Musical is very popular as well.  What I'm trying to say is that, not everyone is looking for a movie with drama and action and all of those things you mentioned, they might just watch it and think "Huh?".  And the last eight years haven't exactly been a disaster,  The Sixth Sense was made in the last eight years so many good visionaries have been made.  But I hope that your dreams will become a reality and may you prosper in all your future endeavors. (crappy I know, but necessary to avoid being offensive.  after all, i'm contradicting you here. hope you don't mind. i am pretty close minded  ;D)

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »
Your right Theo that a scripwriter has to be bold in what he does, but predicting that your movie will be the next multimillion dollar hit has nothing to do with whether your script is good.  Though it does sound intriguing, though it's still a little vague on what it's about.