Yahoo-10 Worst Horror Films

Author Topic: Yahoo-10 Worst Horror Films  (Read 37786 times)

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
Re: Yahoo-10 Worst Horror Films
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 08:19:36 PM »
Someone said it was a technically good movie, but how many people care about that up against the story and execution?  I venture to guess, not a whole bunch of people.  Not saying that it's not important, but I am saying that it's almost a useless aspect of this film when comparing it to the execution.  And I also understand that M. Night has a different way he tells stories, he just got this one wrong.  Everyone gets it wrong sometimes, hell Steven Spielberg even has movies that sucks, and he's the highest grossing director of all time.

I'm sorry, but it's true.

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 10:32:23 PM »
Someone said it was a technically good movie, but how many people care about that up against the story and execution?  I venture to guess, not a whole bunch of people. 

I think that when people say it's technically a good movie, they are simply saying that it was well made aside from the actual story.  There is no doubt in my mind that The Happening is, in fact, a technically good movie.  And when I say that, I imply that Shyamalan knows how to make a film, and he is a knowledgable director.  It's just that he sorta flubbed up on The Happening's script, or overall plot/story.  I completely agree with you, Prince111.  Even if a movie looks good, if it's shot well, if the color's are great, if the symbolism is clever, it doesn't necessarily make it a good film. 

This same situation works vice-versa too.  If someone writes an amazing script with an amazing story and well developed, intricate characters, and places it in the hands of an ametuer director who knows little about the art of film, the movie won't be great.  Reviews of a movie like this would probably be along the lines of, "It was a clever idea that was poorly executed."

And I also understand that M. Night has a different way he tells stories, he just got this one wrong.

This is also true.  M. Night writes scripts that follows a unique format.  When I say format, I mean that the actual "story" of his scripts do not follow the traditional outline that other writers write their stories in. 

I believe alot of people mistake good aspects of a film for a good film.  There are alot of good aspects in The Happening, but overall, it was just a bad movie.  Alot of Shyamalan fans (including myself) watched the movie trying to find as much good as they could in the movie and liked it, because it was Shyamalan.  That being said, I think Prince111 hit the nail on the head.  Sure there are alot of technical aspects of the film that were executed very well, but because of the lack of a strong story, the movie failed. 
Do you think you could beat up Bruce Lee?  I mean, if you knew karate?  What if he wasn't allowed to kick, and you were really mad at him?

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 11:55:52 PM »
Yeah, I got a bit carried away with the whole "environmentalist aspect" bash.  I guess I'm just getting tired of us trying to find different and new excuses to be able to call The Happening a good movie.

Also, I haven't really heard alot of people talking about the environment part of the film.  I haven't read it in reviews, brought it up in debates/discussions, and haven't heard alot of people talking about it who saw the movie.  Is it really a big deal?  Like are people bringing it up alot when you guys talk about it?

maybe people dont bring it up so much because it's so obvious..i have heard some reviews talk about it though.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »
maybe people dont bring it up so much because it's so obvious

Namaste, two questions.

1:  Do you think The Happening still would have been The Happening without the environmental statements?

2:  What is your favorite movie of all time?
Do you think you could beat up Bruce Lee?  I mean, if you knew karate?  What if he wasn't allowed to kick, and you were really mad at him?

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2008, 02:36:13 PM »
Can I answer the questions, because I'm going too.  1. Yes it could have been, the original script wasn't as environmental, more of a straight up happening, that people don't understand.  2.  My favorite movie of all time is the Lord of the Rings. 
I liked The Happening, but the story isn't the strongest, yes, technically the film is very well made, and me being a student of film and wanting to go into filming this helped me to like it better.  BUT, the story is weak at points and the dialogue, usually one of Nights strongpoints was weak in this film.  Prince111 makes a goodp oint in that all directors don't score a major hit every time, though I wouldn't classify The Happening as a flop either.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2008, 12:52:41 AM »
The Happening Was A Flop.

Not Commerically.
But Critically Yes.
Which means people went and saw based off of Night's name.

Its hard for us to say the Happening was a bad movie.

But I think we have to. We may still like it and say "Oh that part wasn't so strong" to the bad parts,
but if you look at it objectively, The Happening was a terrible film.

We just find the good in it.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2008, 01:14:51 PM »
LOL...here I am saying all of this stuff about his film and I still watch it trying to find new stuff in it.  I'm going to tell you something, if it weren't M. Night name, I would not have given this movie the time of day, I just have faith in that there's something in it that I will one day see in this bad movie that will make me love it...but then again, I might not...but by saying all of this, it shows the power of M. Nights film making over all. 

This movie is a really bad movie but M. Night is still a genius.  I believe that for his next movie after Avatar, he has to change his formula in some form or fashion.  Why?  Because even his way of telling stories will get old if he doesn't change by his next original film, or the film after that.  People will go and see it, especially us M. Night fans, but the thing that really makes a great artist to me is that artist reinventing themselves with new ventures and challeges and not always sticking too what made them famous.  It's easy to stick to one way of anything, but not so easy to go into relms of the unknown.  I have faith that he will one day do this.  Am I the only person in here that M. Night may need to change it up a bit in his original material?  Or do you fans think he should stay like he is?

This same situation works vice-versa too.  If someone writes an amazing script with an amazing story and well developed, intricate characters, and places it in the hands of an ametuer director who knows little about the art of film, the movie won't be great.  Reviews of a movie like this would probably be along the lines of, "It was a clever idea that was poorly executed."

I believe alot of people mistake good aspects of a film for a good film.  There are alot of good aspects in The Happening, but overall, it was just a bad movie.  Alot of Shyamalan fans (including myself) watched the movie trying to find as much good as they could in the movie and liked it, because it was Shyamalan.  That being said, I think Prince111 hit the nail on the head.  Sure there are alot of technical aspects of the film that were executed very well, but because of the lack of a strong story, the movie failed. 

I agree with you 100%.

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2008, 02:32:45 PM »
Prince111.

I LOVE YOU.

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME FEELING AS YOU.
We all want Night to succeed but we have to admit the things that are the way they are.

WHO ELSE AGREES WITH PRINCE111's POST ABOVE MINE (and Elijah Price's before that)???

Great job, Prince111.

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2008, 02:48:55 PM »
Am I the only person in here that M. Night may need to change it up a bit in his original material?  Or do you fans think he should stay like he is?

Prince, you, Cleveland and I share alot of the same opinions and we're on the same page on alot of subjects.  I was wondering if you read my post on page 3 about what I think M. Night should do in the future?  I'd be curious to hear what you have to say about that.

Can I answer the questions, because I'm going too.  1. Yes it could have been, the original script wasn't as environmental, more of a straight up happening, that people don't understand.  2.  My favorite movie of all time is the Lord of the Rings. 
I liked The Happening, but the story isn't the strongest, yes, technically the film is very well made, and me being a student of film and wanting to go into filming this helped me to like it better.  BUT, the story is weak at points and the dialogue, usually one of Nights strongpoints was weak in this film.  Prince111 makes a goodp oint in that all directors don't score a major hit every time, though I wouldn't classify The Happening as a flop either.

Of course every director slips up on a movie or two in their carreer.  This I have to agree with.  And most of the time, when a director slips up on a movie, people call that movie a flop.  They don't go around saying how terrible the director is, but they don't fail to recognize that it is not the director's best work.  This is The Happening.  Written and directed by a talented film maker, but not his best work.  The movie was a flop.  And Lord of the Rings is a good movie in almost every way.  Great special effects, great dilogue, it was extremely believable, it was shot well, but most importantly, Lord of the Rings had a fantastic story.  Without the story, the special effects, beautiful shots, and cool action scenes would have been meaningless.  See where I'm getting at here with The Happening?

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2008, 04:00:09 PM »
Prince111.

I LOVE YOU.

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME FEELING AS YOU.
We all want Night to succeed but we have to admit the things that are the way they are.

WHO ELSE AGREES WITH PRINCE111's POST ABOVE MINE (and Elijah Price's before that)???

Great job, Prince111.

Thanks Cleveland Heap, I love you too!!  Me, you and Elijah Price do share the same opinions alot of the times.  That's cool.

Am I the only person in here that M. Night may need to change it up a bit in his original material?  Or do you fans think he should stay like he is?

Prince, you, Cleveland and I share alot of the same opinions and we're on the same page on alot of subjects.  I was wondering if you read my post on page 3 about what I think M. Night should do in the future?  I'd be curious to hear what you have to say about that.

That's a good question...I think his next idea should (like some of his previous movies) bounce off of somethings that's true (Not a true story, but of something that can't be explained.)  However, like in my previous post, it should be a subject that gets up under your skin, something that somewhat changes you or have you thinking about for weeks.  As far as story, it could be almost anything in terms of horror, but I think he should maybe use a different person to score his next film, just to give it a different tone.  Don't get me wrong, I love Mr. Howard's work with Night, but with his scores (with Night) I already know what to expect, but that's only because Night is Night.  If Night maybe did a flate out monster movie or something where some one is neing chaced, (I'm not talking about like The Village), but just almost go back to square one. 

In every horror movie ever made, the movies that scared or moved people the most were the ones with great suspence or them being true or could be true.  That's why movies like The Sixth Sense, The Omen, Jaws, Saw, The Chainsaw Mass, The Exorist, Alien, The Fog, Seven,, Signs, Silence of the Lambs and The Thing (JC's version) are so iconic, because they all deal with this in a very well excuted manner.  These movies will stand the test of time because they stunned us like a lightening bolt and made us feel like we were changed by watching them.  It's a feeling that I left the theaters that I had when I saw all of these movies.  They moved me to the core of my being and all set a new standard for horror movies in some ways or another.  Some have gore in them, but that's not what made them great movies.  They all have great stories, they all deal with suspence, they all (when I saw them) felt like they were or could be true (which some of them were based on true things or atleast beliefs), and last but least, the all were executed perfectly.  I hope out of the three ideas he has I hope he goes with the scariest one and have everything I said in it.

I hope that answers your question.

What about you?  What do you think he should do after Avatar?       

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2008, 09:40:59 PM »
Prince -- I like some of the things you said about what Night should do in the future.  I thought your ideas about other horror films in the past were very interesting.  And to answer your question about what I think Night should do in the future, I answered on the 3rd page of this thread.  To summarize what I wrote, I think Night should set his stories outside of a supernatural event.  If he doesn't have to waste time trying to convince you to believe that the event he created is so believable, he can spend time focusing on the more important aspects of the story.  He can pay more attention to character development and stuff then he might be able to pull off an amazing movie.  I explained this a bit more in depth a couple posts back. 

What do you think?

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2008, 12:49:35 PM »
Prince -- I like some of the things you said about what Night should do in the future.  I thought your ideas about other horror films in the past were very interesting.  And to answer your question about what I think Night should do in the future, I answered on the 3rd page of this thread.  To summarize what I wrote, I think Night should set his stories outside of a supernatural event.  If he doesn't have to waste time trying to convince you to believe that the event he created is so believable, he can spend time focusing on the more important aspects of the story.  He can pay more attention to character development and stuff then he might be able to pull off an amazing movie.  I explained this a bit more in depth a couple posts back. 

What do you think?

That's exactely right, if it's something everyone can relate to, then Night doesn't have try to explain everything, which will give him time to focus completely on a very strong story.  The event needs to be simple, the action scarce and the drama suspenceful.

I think you hit the nail dead on the head. 

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2008, 01:05:17 PM »
maybe people dont bring it up so much because it's so obvious

Namaste, two questions.

1:  Do you think The Happening still would have been The Happening without the environmental statements?

2:  What is your favorite movie of all time?

no, it would have had to be a different tone, altogether. (it wouldnt have been hard to do that, though..just change a few little things in the script)

and my favorite movie of all time is Gattaca, which is technically brilliant, but also has great story..deep levels of symbolism, but also enjoyable for first-time watchers.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2008, 01:22:39 PM »
I still disagree and say that The Happening wasn't a flop.  If you go by the critics than all of his movies are flops.   I also disagree and say that The Happening was not a terrible film.  But, it definately wasn't an amazing film, and could have been a lot better.  That said, do you think it would have been better if Night had stuck with the normal 2 hour film length, instead of making it 1 1/2 hours long?
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »
definitely. I heard he took out a lot of character development, because the studio thought it was too slow.