Yahoo-10 Worst Horror Films

Author Topic: Yahoo-10 Worst Horror Films  (Read 36268 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: Yahoo-10 Worst Horror Films
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
There's something about his two hour films that seems just right.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2008, 01:38:41 PM »
I know what it is...it's called "not an accident"
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2008, 02:03:03 PM »
Unbreakable 106 min, Signs 106 min, Village 108 min, Sixth sense 107 min, Lady in the Water 110 min,  Happening 91 min...I noticed it too...

(Btw, all above 100 min movies of Shyamalan (specially LitW, it passed so fast I couldn't remember anything but wonderful Howard's theme))I thought were about 85 min, which means that all of them were uber-interesting to me (And did...since I put three of them in my top 10 movies oat)...Happening did seem like a 90 minto me, and it is.))
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:06:08 PM by Decadent Sympozium »
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2008, 02:22:30 PM »
definitely. I heard he took out a lot of character development, because the studio thought it was too slow.

Ok then, is it safe to say that the studio messed this movie up and not M. Night?  Because to me, even if he added that extra time that was cut from the movie I don't it would have helped at all.  He needed to rewrite this story.

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2008, 02:26:56 PM »
definitely. I heard he took out a lot of character development, because the studio thought it was too slow.

Ok then, is it safe to say that the studio messed this movie up and not M. Night?  Because to me, even if he added that extra time that was cut from the movie I don't it would have helped at all.  He needed to rewrite this story.

In no way I can confirm that he had to take out the character development, but if he had to do it, that then did impact on the overall movie performance.
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2008, 02:39:55 PM »

In no way I can confirm that he had to take out the character development, but if he had to do it, that then did impact on the overall movie performance.

I don't think that by the studio cutting a certain amount of time from this movie help or hendered the impact of this movie.  An hour and a half is plenty time for sufficient character development.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2008, 03:30:10 PM »

I don't think that by the studio cutting a certain amount of time from this movie help or hendered the impact of this movie.  An hour and a half is plenty time for sufficient character development.
yeah if you know you have 90 min from the beginning..shyamalan doesnt just add things onto each other..everything is connected to everything else.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2008, 06:44:24 PM »

yeah if you know you have 90 min from the beginning..shyamalan doesnt just add things onto each other..everything is connected to everything else.

I can agree with that.   What in your opinion should do next then?  How can he do something new with winning formula?

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »
Im not really sure what you're asking.

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2008, 07:20:49 PM »
Did anyone watch the first deleted scene on the special features?  With that scene, we learn a whole lot more about the characters.  And if that scene was in the movie, we would have better understood some of the reasons why Elliot acts like a kid, and some more background on the story of him and his wife.  HOWEVER, even with the few extra minutes of character development, the movie wasn't good.  There just wasn't a strong enough story to make people like it.

Namaste, you're favorite movie is Gattaca.  It had good cinematography, clever symbolism, and a well thought out story.  Sure it was a good film, but without the story, the movie would have sucked.  Regardless of the symbolism/technical shots.  It's funny, I saw Gattaca in my biology class way back when.  Best movie I saw in class in high school... lol.

Probably my favorite movie of all time is City of God.  A close second would be The Shawshank Redemption, and there's a few others.
Do you think you could beat up Bruce Lee?  I mean, if you knew karate?  What if he wasn't allowed to kick, and you were really mad at him?

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2008, 08:23:57 PM »

Where he missed it at in this movie, how can Night build upon that to get a better result in his next movie?

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2008, 08:30:55 PM »
Did anyone watch the first deleted scene on the special features?  With that scene, we learn a whole lot more about the characters.  And if that scene was in the movie, we would have better understood some of the reasons why Elliot acts like a kid, and some more background on the story of him and his wife.  HOWEVER, even with the few extra minutes of character development, the movie wasn't good.  There just wasn't a strong enough story to make people like it.

Namaste, you're favorite movie is Gattaca.  It had good cinematography, clever symbolism, and a well thought out story.  Sure it was a good film, but without the story, the movie would have sucked.  Regardless of the symbolism/technical shots.  It's funny, I saw Gattaca in my biology class way back when.  Best movie I saw in class in high school... lol.

Probably my favorite movie of all time is City of God.  A close second would be The Shawshank Redemption, and there's a few others.

I'm going to watch that scene again maybe tonight or tomorrow and see what you're ralking about.  It's hard for me to say what my all time favorite film is, the two movies I watch more than anyother movie are JFK and Gladiator, both of them are just amazing movies...great story: first, great acting and very very suspenceful and deep films.  JFK is a masterpiece.

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2008, 09:32:17 PM »
In response to Mr. Glass who is quoted below:

"I still disagree and say that The Happening wasn't a flop.  If you go by the critics than all of his movies are flops.   I also disagree and say that The Happening was not a terrible film.  But, it definately wasn't an amazing film, and could have been a lot better.  That said, do you think it would have been better if Night had stuck with the normal 2 hour film length, instead of making it 1 1/2 hours long?"

All of his movies are not flops. First of all, to all you Rotten Tomato Haters: Rotten Tomatoes is not this Organization out to get Everyone. It's a collection of 95 percent of the critics from the US and the World. It rates whether their opinion was Good or Bad and from there it gives a percentage.

If a movie has a 23% or something, it means that 23% of Critics liked it (and if you read the Happening's positive reviews, even they aren't that positive. Most of them said it was just OK). So RT isn't this stupid source. You have to be a credited critic to post your opinion. It's not like WikiPedia.

That said, I'm not saying we should blindly listen to all Critics. But for the most part if 200 of them are in pretty clear consensus about a film, it definetly says something.

Also, if Night had stretched this movie even longer, not only would this movie not have gotten any better, it would have gotten worse. People just can't level of melodramatic lines and acting and uneventful thrills for another 20 minutes.

Also, all of his movies are not flops. The Sixth Sense, Signs, and Unbreakable all have "FRESH" reviews on RT. THe Village for the most part goes right down the middle.

And let's face it: We (or You) only like it because he made it. Here's a little experiment:

For one moment, forget the fact that Night made this movie. Imagine that - I don't know - RON HOWARD made this movie (he would never but just in case you don't know who he is, he made APOLLO 13, A BEAUTIFUL MIND, CINDERELLA MAN, etc.).

Once you get out of the Night shell, you can judge the movie by what it ACTUALLY is - not what you want it or hope for it to be.

---

In response to Prince111, I honestly think that he should focus more on the characters and their struggles (which is usually the real story in his movies) If you notice in THE HAPPENING, their love story only popped in and out at moments. You never felt a clear understanding of what was their relationship. In SIGNS, all of the struggles had somehow to do with the real story: Graham Hess regaining his Faith in God.

That's why the Happening was a Terrible Film. He never got into what the real story was about.

(Also bad was the acting and writing)

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2008, 10:19:39 PM »

Where he missed it at in this movie, how can Night build upon that to get a better result in his next movie?

why would you want to build on things you did wrong?

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2008, 12:22:18 AM »
Unbreakable 106 min, Signs 106 min, Village 108 min, Sixth sense 107 min, Lady in the Water 110 min,  Happening 91 min...I noticed it too...

Do you really think 15 minutes more of The Happening would have changed the overall outcome of the movie?  No way.

And something interesting that Cleveland said,
Also, if Night had stretched this movie even longer, not only would this movie not have gotten any better, it would have gotten worse. People just can't level of melodramatic lines and acting and uneventful thrills for another 20 minutes.

So true...

Night would have probably added 15 more minutes of Mark Whalberg saying: "What happened to all the honeybees, guys?  Does anybody know?  The honeybees?  Does anyone notice that all the honeybees are gone?  Who have we lost contact with?  Tell me who!  Why do you keep feeding me one worthless peice of information at a time?  What does purple stand for on a mood ring?  What does orange stand for?  No not that color orange, like a burnt orange?  Why did I sign up to act in this movie?  I should stick to Scorsese's films.  Yeah, The Departed was fun.  I think green means love on a mood ring?  Hey does Mrs. Jones symbolize mother nature?  Hey are you still reading this?  Say hi to your mother for me."

See what I'm getting at here Decadent Sympozium plus others?
Do you think you could beat up Bruce Lee?  I mean, if you knew karate?  What if he wasn't allowed to kick, and you were really mad at him?