Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 178

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 183

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 184

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 220

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 223

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 235

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 250

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 268
Yahoo-10 Worst Horror Films

Author Topic: Yahoo-10 Worst Horror Films  (Read 51185 times)

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
Re: Yahoo-10 Worst Horror Films
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2008, 10:51:40 AM »
Im not really sure what you're asking.

Where he missed it at in this movie, how can Night build upon that to get a better result in his next movie?

why would you want to build on things you did wrong?

Ok, this is what I'm asking you...what should M. Night do differently in his next movie that he messed up in this movie?  What mistakes did he make in The Happening do you feel that he should steer clear of in his next movie?

Unbreakable 106 min, Signs 106 min, Village 108 min, Sixth sense 107 min, Lady in the Water 110 min,  Happening 91 min...I noticed it too...

Do you really think 15 minutes more of The Happening would have changed the overall outcome of the movie?  No way.

And something interesting that Cleveland said,
Also, if Night had stretched this movie even longer, not only would this movie not have gotten any better, it would have gotten worse. People just can't level of melodramatic lines and acting and uneventful thrills for another 20 minutes.

So true...

Night would have probably added 15 more minutes of Mark Whalberg saying: "What happened to all the honeybees, guys?  Does anybody know?  The honeybees?  Does anyone notice that all the honeybees are gone?  Who have we lost contact with?  Tell me who!  Why do you keep feeding me one worthless peice of information at a time?  What does purple stand for on a mood ring?  What does orange stand for?  No not that color orange, like a burnt orange?  Why did I sign up to act in this movie?  I should stick to Scorsese's films.  Yeah, The Departed was fun.  I think green means love on a mood ring?  Hey does Mrs. Jones symbolize mother nature?  Hey are you still reading this?  Say hi to your mother for me."

See what I'm getting at here Decadent Sympozium plus others?

Mr. Price...lol, you're hilarious!!!  That's just how I felt damn near everytime I've seen The Happening.  All of those those cheesy lines, ya know, sometimes I felt like I was in Rumper Room...lol.  It was definately too much explaining going on and it sounded too contrived and not free flowing like his previous films.  It was too phoned in.  That kind of dialogue not only NOT makes you feel for the character, it makes you not even take that character seriously, so almost everytime he spoke, I kind of zoned out a little.  I see and hear you loud and clear Mr. Price. 

Well put...I could couldn't have said it better myself.   

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2008, 01:48:59 PM »
First off, I don't even go onto Rotten Tomatoes, or other sites like that Cleveland Heep, so not sure what you're talking about.  Second, I have separated msyelf from the fact that it was Night who made, and I still like, the things that I don't like-cheesy one liners, heavy on the environmental aspect, not enough character development, I still don't like whether I forget that Night did it or not.    If I were Night I would take time to right a script that was solid, I think Night said he had this idea when they wrapped Lady In The Water, he really rolled it out and had it done in shorter than his normal two year span, he needs to spend more time on his next film, make sure it's really top notch, that's one thing I would do to improve it.  And yes, I think the added time would have helped the story, he would have been able to flesh out the characters more and MAYBE improve the story and help you become attached to the characters more.  That said, I still like the movie and don't consider it a flop.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2008, 05:30:26 PM »
I agree with Glass
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2008, 08:27:43 PM »
First off, I don't even go onto Rotten Tomatoes, or other sites like that Cleveland Heep, so not sure what you're talking about.  Second, I have separated msyelf from the fact that it was Night who made, and I still like, the things that I don't like-cheesy one liners, heavy on the environmental aspect, not enough character development, I still don't like whether I forget that Night did it or not.    If I were Night I would take time to right a script that was solid, I think Night said he had this idea when they wrapped Lady In The Water, he really rolled it out and had it done in shorter than his normal two year span, he needs to spend more time on his next film, make sure it's really top notch, that's one thing I would do to improve it.  And yes, I think the added time would have helped the story, he would have been able to flesh out the characters more and MAYBE improve the story and help you become attached to the characters more.  That said, I still like the movie and don't consider it a flop.

Ok, I can agree that Night needed to take more time in hashing out a solid script, but time in any movie does not make the difference in the character development, it's the strength of the piece it self.  You can write and film a 10 or 30 minute movie with a great story, great character development.  Lady in the Water was 109 minutes, it could have been 80 minutes and it's a stronger written movie than The Happening.  Not that you care about critics or other forums, but I'm a member of other forums and people dog the #@!* out of this film.  Now we can't sit here and say that we all have better opinions than other people simply because we're M. Night fans.  Other people opinions are just as good as ours.  I love alot of other film makers almost all of them have made atleast one or two bad movies with in their first six or seven movies and M. Night is no eception to the rule.

What is everyone's definition of a flop?  Mine is if alot of people (other than hardcore fans of the film maker) think that a film sucked.  I'm sorry to say that hardcore fans of any filmmaker (including myself with M. Night) tend to want the movie to succeed so badly that they go into the with the blinders on, a sort of (this movie is going to be good no matter what) mentality, but as I've stated in my previous post, I've tried to watch this movie atleast 10 times, and I still get the same stale taste in my mouth.  I'll give M. Night an A for effort though.   Any film can make money just off of the film makers name alone, which can still make the movie a flop, if it didn't make what the studio estimated it would make.  I venture to guess that all film makers make films for everyone, not just their hardcore fans, no, I take that back, they do have a designated audience that they aim for, however, that's not all they aim for when making a film and if you hard core fans think it's a ok to good film but the general aduien think it's a bad film, than their something to say for that.     

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »
I was going to go on this huge thing about Mr. Glass's comment (and Namaste who always agrees with him)

but then I read Prince111's comment above mine which is so PERFECTLY written.

Mr. Glass, What is your definition of a flop???

Because I agree with Prince111 and I want to know what reasoning it takes to make that conclusion.

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2008, 10:11:42 PM »
You can write and film a 10 or 30 minute movie with a great story, great character development.  Lady in the Water was 109 minutes, it could have been 80 minutes and it's a stronger written movie than The Happening.  Not that you care about critics or other forums, but I'm a member of other forums and people dog the #@!* out of this film.  Now we can't sit here and say that we all have better opinions than other people simply because we're M. Night fans.  Other people opinions are just as good as ours.  I love alot of other film makers almost all of them have made atleast one or two bad movies with in their first six or seven movies and M. Night is no eception to the rule.

Amen!

First off, I don't even go onto Rotten Tomatoes, or other sites like that Cleveland Heep, so not sure what you're talking about.  Second, I have separated msyelf from the fact that it was Night who made, and I still like, the things that I don't like-cheesy one liners, heavy on the environmental aspect, not enough character development, I still don't like whether I forget that Night did it or not.

Well goodness gracious man!  What aspect of the movie made you like it so much?!  Here you list bad character development, cheesy one liners, and too heavy of a focus on the environmental aspect.  That's the movie bro!  Oh, and you left out a few things you may have not liked.  Like the unbelievable event, terrible dialogue/acting, and poor plot.
Do you think you could beat up Bruce Lee?  I mean, if you knew karate?  What if he wasn't allowed to kick, and you were really mad at him?

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2008, 02:10:30 PM »
Prince 111, your post makes a lot of sense, and I agree with a lot of it.  I guess defining a flop would have helped a lot with this thread.  Flop-is panned by critics, or at least most of them, fans don't like it, and it doesn't make money.  I guess according to my definition it is a flop, so sorry, though I think that money plays the biggest part in determining it, so I'm still leaning towards it not being flop, nor a succesful movie.  Elijah Price, I listed what I thought was bad about it, I thought the event worked, led to some amazing scenes, the acting was good, the plot was good, it's linked to the event, I just thought the overall linking wasn't very good.  What made me like The Happening, no. 1, amazing filmmaking style, which with Night is normal, the cinematics aspect of it all was good, which I think everybody agrees on, likeable characters, very good score, one of the best opening credits I have ever seen (I know, that's just one small thing, but I really liked it), and the fact that it moved around.  Those are my reasons.

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2008, 06:59:33 AM »
Do you really think 15 minutes more of The Happening would have changed the overall outcome of the movie?  No way.

No...I'm implying something happened (oh the irony...).  It's quite hard to believe he couldn't pull of a movie in his regular manner...
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2008, 01:05:01 PM »
I'm a little confused by your post Decadent Sympozium, if I understand it right though, you're saying that Night can't make a bad film, or at least one in his usual manner?

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2008, 04:56:43 PM »
I'm a little confused by your post Decadent Sympozium, if I understand it right though, you're saying that Night can't make a bad film, or at least one in his usual manner?

What I'm saying is something must have gone wrong during development, eg compare it with football. Few years ago Real Madrid had a almost a billion dollars worth squad, top training staff, it has top training facilities, infinite amount of money, and they brought a top 10 manager. But the next two years they were far the most horrible team, compared to potential and expecting. So they did something wrong, something must have gone wrong. Likewise, Shyamalan knew this movie must be top stuff, we also have a great idea, beautiful symbolism and massive possibility span at hands, he could also take any actor to role, he had Newton Howard to assist in music, and it's Shyamalan we're talking about, who knows how to direct every type of scenes, from comedy over action and mystery to suspense. He had plenty of time. And the movie was screwed. That simply does not fit into logic of this matter.
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2008, 07:14:31 PM »
Thank you for admitting that "the movie was screwed"

But yes, I agree. Something must have gone wrong amidst all of the perfections and if I had to pinpoint it... The Script.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
Thank you for admitting that "the movie was screwed"

But yes, I agree. Something must have gone wrong amidst all of the perfections and if I had to pinpoint it... The Script.

Amen!

I agree also that something went wrong, like Mr. Heap said it was the script, not everyone else attached to the movie.  Like I said before, he needed to completely re-write this whole entire script, and that's the bottum line.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2008, 01:06:05 PM »
Agree with the above posts that it's biggest problem was the script, but I don't think it needs entirely rewritten, there's a lot of good in it, just not placed right.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »
Agree with the above posts that it's biggest problem was the script, but I don't think it needs entirely rewritten, there's a lot of good in it, just not placed right.

I can agree with that.  A complete rewrite is unneccessary, because the movie did have some good part in it, but Mr. Glass (and this may start a whole new conversation), what parts, aspects, scenes or characters would change or take out?  And why?  This question is for everyone.  And what would you keep? 

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2008, 09:59:29 AM »
You're right. The movie does not need to be completely rewritten.
I love the opening credits (and how they moved around) and the death scene after.

After those two scenes, the entire frickin' movie has to be rewritten.

That's Mr. Glass speaking (of course),

Don't deny it.

But seriously after the opening credits (which were awesome), the movie dragged.

And dragged.

And dragged.

And dragged

And someone died.

And dragged.

And dragged.

Someone died.

Dragged.

Mark raised his eyebrows.

Dragged.

Old Lady killed herself.

Love Scene. Dragged.