Yahoo-10 Worst Horror Films

Author Topic: Yahoo-10 Worst Horror Films  (Read 37705 times)

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: Yahoo-10 Worst Horror Films
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 05:59:50 PM »
I'm starting to think cleveland heep is one of those [people] who didnt get it...
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 06:16:50 PM »
Namaste, what is there to get???

Ive seen the movie at least 8 times. Tell me something me or anyone of the other people who didn't like it missed.

if you can't critique him, what's the point?
Just form a freaking religion after him.

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 08:50:47 PM »
Please lower your caps next time, I'd f*cking slap you right now. We ain?t idiots and can read properly. I?m also not quoting you because formation of your post is incredibly annoying, so I?ll just give a hint to which part I?m reffering.

[The who cares part n? all]

Yup, that?s exactly a type of opinion which made modern children immune to art and spirit. Who cares if there?s 1 movie in 3 years which steps out of superhero-comic-old-books-new-books-someone else?s story-quickly-scrabbled for screening movies. Who cares if movie?s scenario and directing is of such precise methodology and formal logic based on scientific facts and knowledge that one can draw each scene, and each line of speech together without probable gap. Who cares if there?s a film director of SF movies who can actually send a message, and can actually spend below 100 mil. $ to make one without looking like crap.(not that modern 3d engineering looks good, though. Just sharp)

[the story part?]

Yeah, just try to prove Happening has no story. I?d really love to see that. I got all excited thinking about your process of proving. (Oh, wait, you won?t do it.)

[people didn't like the HAPPENING because a. it was unbelievable and b. it was executed poorly?]

Yeah?this nature SF movie is so unbeliavable?while LitW, Unbreakable, Signs and Sixth Sense really are, I was totally into them! I was into ET aswell! And reality of War of the Worlds totally blew me off. I also believed See no Evil is very real?Spiderman, and Star Wars, now that?s a religion man, not just being or not being real...give me a break. You plan to defend your point with these arguments? Might as well decide not to type anymore. Poor execution, lol. I very much doubt you can judge that. The only thing poor in this movie is acting and personally I could never understand why was it that bad. Even if he might think that this unexpected events might affect people precisely like that: put them in emotionless disbelief, he still should have pulled an acting role atleast to some point of charm.

[And honestly, if you have to explain the movie to everyone who didn't like it, you know that there's something wrong with the movie. Something the movie did not do. The Happening had great potential but it was a poorly executed film.]

Not really, no. That means that there?s something wrong with Baudelaire, too. I am not sure you have dares to claim there?s something wrong with Baudelaire. He?s just far beyond understandings of little citizenship.

[shyamalan?s genious but happening is crap and I know people?]

That?s where ideas may differ. You cannot possibly call Happening crap. Hate it. You may hate it because it?s not as good as his other films, feeling dissapointed or so, but not hate it for itself alone. You may dislike poor acting, be dissapointed by visual simplicity or whatever, but you may not call that movie crap. Calling it crap (or any similar phrase) makes you ignorant to the importancy and content of his creation.

[This movie was bound to be a hit part?]

No, not really. No one expected it to be a hit. Perhaps USA residents. I don?t know anyone who thought it will be a hit. All I met thought it will underachieve. I agreed.

[the script sucked part?]

Script didn?t suck. The dialogue wasn?t good and acting was bad (bad acting is often followed by crappy dialogue, or vice-versa). Nothing else sucked. I?ll repeat myself, I don?t know why that happened. The movie itself was designed raw on purpose, but poor acting has no argument. Although one may say he did it on purpose, and that may be correct to some point, it?s not a way to approach to audience. Film-making, after all, is based around?well?acting.

[rotten tomato part?]

I?m anti-rm. I do not approve anything they write, so this argument kinda bounces off me. I also do not like public critic, those who apparantly think their word is given by god and who battle for their space and time in newspaper/shows. All of them have serious insight disorders and many, many personal issues I cannot really explain but to mention their defeat in LitW. Anyone who can?t say anything good about any movie which didn?t come pleasant to himself is not a good critic and shouldn?t be taken seriously. That?s what an old maestro of film critic from Croatia said and it 100% stands.
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 02:11:29 PM »
So anyone who didn't like Lady in the Water is a terrible critic
and anyone who didn't like The Happening is a terrible critic??

Wow.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 11:53:26 PM »
They don't have to like it..but they have to recognize it was technically a good movie.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 08:01:11 AM »
I understand the point of view of Cleveland Heep and I agree with him when he says (tell me if I'm wrong) that The Happening was developed badly in terms of story.I had the feeling that facts,characters and a big part of the dialogues weren't the best Shyamalan could do.However,even if I'm sure that this is his worst movie (entertainingly speaking,because my knowledge of cinematography is very poor),I still loved some brilliant ideas he put into it,that made me recognise his genius even in this movie (I'm referring especially at people walking backwards and the annihilation of the self-conservation instinct).
I also have to disagree with Namaste when he says that this is an intentional parody/spoof movie,because I read a lot interviews released by Shyamalan himself where he clearly states that his intentions were to make a horror b-movie to scare people,not to make them laugh (because that's the aim of a parody).
"Welcome to The Cove"

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 10:27:41 AM »
Yeah, I agree the story could have been stronger. It would have made a good movie great (like gattaca, which has great technical and symbolic qualities, but also an amazing story for first-time watchers)

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 12:03:30 AM »
Story is everything.

Without a story, there is no movie.  Cinema is our modern-day form of storytelling, and without story, "storytelling" doesn't exist. 

So when Decadent Sympozium claims, "The script didn't suck. The dialogue was bad and the acting was bad..." that is such a self-refuting statement.  Dialogue and action are the script and the script is the story.  When the entire script is composed of empty, cheesy dialogue, how do you expect the script to be so profound?  I am not saying that Shyamalan cannot write a script, The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable remain two of my favorite movies, and two outstanding scripts.  I am claiming, however, that The Happening was a complete and utter failure when it comes down the the quality of the story.  The script is the foundation for the rest of the movie, and when that fails, so does the rest of the project.

That being said, I completely agree with Cleveland Heep in some of the points that he made.  M. Night has created masterpeices through film, that is an undeniable fact.  And as much as people would like to say The Happening falls under the category of "amazing," it's simply not true.  From an entirely objective standpoint, The Happening remains a bad movie.  You don't have to be a film expert to understand that the dialogue was cheesy, the acting was bad, the characters weren't believable, etc.  Remember the part in the movie towards the very end When Elliot and Alma go outside to be with eachother "when it all ends?"  That scene is supposed to be the climax of the movie.  Alma and Elliot finally rekindle they're love, and in that scene we see hope.  If the movie ended with them being affected by the happening, and they killed themselves, it would have been a beautiful scene.  Except they lived, the screen faded to black and a VO from Elliot says, "I guess the event stopped right before we went outside."  That is just sheer laziness.  In past films, Shyamalan has proved his writing skills to be creative, smart, and original.  Now, Sympozium, if that same scene had been in any other movie not written/directed/produced by your boyhood idol and godhead Shyamalan, you would have found it just as repulsive and unbelievable as I did.

And how does mathematical assimilation and character's names beginning with the letter "j" make The Happening a good fim?  It doesn't!  It just proves that Shyamalan knows how to integrate symbolism into his art, and it holds no relevence to the overall quality of the film.  That was an extremely weak point and pitiful excuse to try to make The Happening seem like a better movie than it was.

Now on a slightly different note, from a cinematographical perspective, The Happening looked great.  The shots were unique, yet technical, and the color integration and symbolism was superb.  I have always seen Shyamalan as a fantastic visionary.  Some of the shots in Unbreakable never cease to amaze me.  Like the first scene we see David Dunn, the entire scene is one shot, seen from in between two chairs on a bullet train.  Not only did the shot look amazing, but the dialogue and action in the scene revealed a plethora of information about the character.  I don't need to re-tell each tremendous shot that Shyamalan has pulled off in his carreer.  I could be here all day.  The point I'm trying to make is that great shots and outsanding visuals do not make a movie.  Sure they look nice, and they reflect the director's knowledgle and hard work that he/she put into his/her film, but they don't determine whether or not a good movie has been made.

Namaste, I couldn't agree more with the first comment that you posted.  Most people are disappointed with Shyamalan's films when they walk into the theatre waiting to see some horror flick.  Anyone who cares about the films that Shyamalan makes knows that his movies focus on somthing outside of whatever "event" is happening.  Signs is about a pastor who lost his faith, not so much about aliens who carve maps into corn-fields somewhere in Philadelphia.  The Village is a love story, not so much a story about creatures who live in the nearby forest.  Unbreakable is about a man discovering himself and his ultimate purpose, not so much a superhero movie.  The Happening not only lacked a creative event for a story to take place in, but it also did a terrible job at showing the love story between Alma and Elliot.  Shyamalan is a genius when it comes to writing a story that takes place during a supernatural event, but it's almost as if he's lost that creative ability to come up with those types of events.  The Happening also showed me that he's lost the ability to write the deeper, more important story that is focused on throughout the film.  The Happening was a disappointment.  It had a weak story, an uninteresting event, anemic characters and a feeble plot.  The movie doesn't have to be compared to the rest of Shyamalan's films to uphold its crappiness.

I am impatiently waiting for the day for Shyamalan to make his "comeback," so to speak.  I know what he is capable of and I know how great of a filmaker he is, although he hasn't been on his "A-game" lately.  The Happening was not a strong peice of art.  It left many people foiled and unsatisfied.  It just wasn't an accurate reflection of Shyamalan's artistic talent that we have seen so many times in the past.  You are allowed to dislike the Happening, and be a fan of M. Night at the same time.
Do you think you could beat up Bruce Lee?  I mean, if you knew karate?  What if he wasn't allowed to kick, and you were really mad at him?

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 04:13:43 AM »
Dialogue and action are the script and the script is the story. 

No, that's just plain wrong. You also either mistyped it or misunderstood me, because I wrote acting, not actions, since acting and actions are two different non-paralel universes. Metropolis has no dialogue, exept five very normal, usual sentences, yet it is a devastatingly good movie even for modern times. Mulholland Drive or Man from Earth basically have no story what so ever but are brilliantly architected with scenes/dialogue that made major difference. Ubreakable, eg, is a complete set of three. Kind of an epitome. Dialogue has nothing to do with the story, the only thing dialogue has to do with the story is bringing it up better, or, better say, drawing us in better. That's cruical but nothing relevant to the story itself, if you can draw understanding from my "philosophious" isolation of term "story".
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:17:46 AM by Decadent Sympozium »
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 01:26:24 PM »
M. Night missed the mark on this movie.  I baught the DVD and watched it over and over and over again, trying to love it, but I don't love it.  I think M. Night over hyped this movie, comparing it The Exorist and other classic movies, saying that "He'll show you things so where you know you're not safe."  M. Night hyped this movie up as a scare fest, now, hard core M. Night fans know to look more into his movies to get the real meaning out of them, where as the normal movie goer who also LOVES movies, don't go to movies to analyze every frame to see what meaning it has in the cosmos, they just go for the entertainment value of it, and there's nothing wrong with that.  They're not dumb or stupid because of how they choose to watch movies, if that's what they want to do it's there right. 

I went into this movie expecting M. Night's way of telling stories, however, when he compared it to all those other movies I expected a bit more and got a lot less.  Now, I like this movie, but not for it being a Horror movie at all, I liked it because it's to me a love story with this supernatural componant added to it.  The parts where people were killing themselves was NOT scary, I'm sorry, but it wasn't, comparing it to itself.  There's a difference between a shock and a scare, a shock bolts you for a second, a scare stays with you for a while.  I was a little shocked at some part of the movie, but I was never scared.   I can see how hw got the R rating because of the shock of what he's show us, but theis movie didn't earn it.  Look at movies like "Seven or Silence of the Lambs or The Exorist or Alien or The Omen or Jaws etc.  All of these moves got their ratings because of what we saw, but unlike the Happening, they earned every bit of their rating.  All of these movies have had numerous DVD encarnations, why because they're really great movies.  The Happening won't get a 15th or 20th anniversory DVD.  I hope people in here can admit (if not with this movie, some other movie that not all of Night's work will be good).

I understood every message in the movie and I love M. Night as much as anyone in here, but he missed the mark on this one.  It's a love story to me with supernatural elements, not a horror movie.  Both Signs and The Sixth Sense are horror movies and they both have a lesser rating.         

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 01:31:32 PM »
Story is everything.
Without a story, there is no movie.  Cinema is our modern-day form of storytelling, and without story, "storytelling" doesn't exist. 

That's like saying paintings should all be representational. I think film can be abstract. It doesnt have to fit in a box. In fact, the first films didn't have any story to them at all..they were experimental and focused on cutting edge (at the time) technical aspects more than anything.

For that matter, i feel like literature can be abstract, and not have to tell a story or make any linear sense at all. It can still be artistically significant.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »
Wow, I don't really know what to say.  I think there are people that are going to like it and there are people that won't.  I can see how the critics didn't like it, though I must say it does seem like they're out to get Night, and the American people tend to like action, which was not in The Happening.  I feel like the worst part of the film was the script, I've read the original script, which I felt was a lot better, and a lot more scary, I'd be interested to know what went on in the discussions between Night and Fox, and what they wanted from him.  Anyways, I've got to go so I'll post more on this later.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 02:05:40 PM »
To a strong extent, Prince111 really demonstrated exactly what I felt.
Going into an M. Night Movie, I tried hard to love it. And while the movie was being bashed, I tried hard to find the good things and keep going on about how the film was still good.

Dear Namaste (or any person who agrees with her previous reply about art),

NO ONE - AND I MEAN NO ONE - DENIES THE FACT THAT THE HAPPENING LOOKED GOOD or was ARTISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT. TECHNICALLY, THE FILM WAS SPOT ON. SPOT ON.
CINEMATOGRAPHY WAS 100 PERCENT. COLORS WERE BEAUTIFUL. THE MUSIC WAS FANTASTIC.

But this movie was simply preposterous because unlike any other movies of his, it didn't make you BELIEVE.
Signs made you believe the Event. Unbreakable made you believe in the Event. The Village made you believe in the Event. Sixth Sense made you believe. (Lady in the Water made you believe to an extent)
The Happening made no one believe.

People laughed in the theaters I saw it in. THEY LAUGHED. That is not a good sign.

Elijah Price

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 02:06:23 PM »
Well, Namaste, are you now admitting that The Happening had no story?  And that it is just an abstract piece of art?  What I said was that without story, storytelling doesn't exist.  I never claimed that art doesn't exist without story. 

Sympozium, Metropolis is a script full of dialogue.  The movie has over 80 title cards, and we're talking about dialogue in a silent film.  Are you claiming that Metropolis would have remained a fantastic movie without the dialogue?  Hmmm...

Are you saying that Mulholland Drive had no story?  And that the only reason the movie was good was because of the clever shots and technicalities of the cinematography?  Mulholland Drive has a story, whether or not you understood it.
Do you think you could beat up Bruce Lee?  I mean, if you knew karate?  What if he wasn't allowed to kick, and you were really mad at him?

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 02:14:24 PM »

Signs made you believe the Event. Unbreakable made you believe in the Event. The Village made you believe in the Event. Sixth Sense made you believe. (Lady in the Water made you believe to an extent)
The Happening made no one believe.

Now on this I have to agree. This is very much a correct spot and something I didn't think about.

People laughed in the theaters I saw it in. THEY LAUGHED. That is not a good sign.

Mine was dead serious, though... :P